I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from the breeder today and she said we can pick up Olive next Friday. YAY!!!! I had an idea of which weekend she'd be coming home, but i wasn't sure which day it would be. Now it's SO real. I'm kind of freaking out! I hope i have everything. I hope I'm ready for a puppy and all of the work!

I have a sort of silly question, but i'm not sure what i should do. My husband will be working the afternoon shift that day so we'll be picking her up in the morning. Both of my kid will be at shcool. My son takes the bus so i can just carry her down with me, but i have to pick my daughter up. It only takes me 15 minutes to get her so should i leave the puppy for 15 minutes in it's crate? OMG that makes me so sad. She will only have been home for a few hours. Or should i put her in a smller crate and bring her with me? She'd have to stay in the car, but only for 5 minutes at the most. I've thought about putting her in my coat and sneaking her in the school, but i don't want to get in trouble!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
OMG how exciting!!! Can't wait to see lots of welcome home pictures of little Olive :D

Erm you could either leave her in her crate for 15 minutes or you could take her & leave her in the car for 5, totally your choice I think & you probably won't make it until you're just about to leave the house that day ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Personally Id leave her in the crate. To avoid separation anxiety developing its good to give them a little time each day on their own and its better to do it from day one so its just part of their new life. If she has you 24/7 for a week then you suddenly leave her its a real shock.

Have a wee play with her and try to get her to do a wee first if possible. Then give her a nice chew or stuffed kong and leave without making a fuss. She will hopefully chew then fall asleep.

Not long now!

H

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Exciting stuff!!! You will probably find that she is very tired that first day anyway and will sleep alot, so I would just crate her with her blanket from the breeder (with litter smell on it) most breeders do provide this? Stick the radio on low for her and she may not even notice she has been left.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! Now that i hear what you guys have to say and really think about it it does make more sense to leave her home in her crate even though it's her first day. At least it will be warm and quiet here. Staying in the car (even though it's only 5 minutes) would probably be more stressful. I will have a small blanket that smells like her litter mates so i'll put that with her. It's only 15 minutes. I just felt bad having to leave her on her first day home!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi
You must be excited. We travel to Wales next week to collect our puppy 'Bo' on the Saturday. I can't believe in a weeks time she'll be here. I just hope our long journey home goes well. Re your puppy, I would leave her snug and warm in her crate as it won't be for long. I bet she'll snooze while you are out. Good luck.

Andrea x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.