I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm new here and absolutely at the end my tether/not really sure what to do. We brought our cockapoo puppy Obi home a week and a half ago. When we first got him, of course he was very quiet and unsure so was very snuggly and allowed lots of cuddles. My daughter is 10 and adores him, yes she picked him up and kissed him a lot at first, but after the first couple of days I stopped her being so "in his face". They seemed to bond well with him coming over to her and sitting next to her for her to stroke him etc..
After a few days he started the usual puppy crazy biting, jumping up, tearing up and chewing everything. We thought nothing of this and showed my daughter how to deal with it by folding arms, walking away calmly etc. He was just excited and playing and my daughter would still get to stroke/play with him on his calmer moments. In the last few days it's all changed, when she goes near him his body language changes, goes stiff, licks and yawns and moves his head away. She doesn't crowd or kiss him anymore as she knows not to, but to me he seems ro have an issue with her. It's heartbreaking as she was so desperate for this puppy and she wants to love him. My husband doesn't know the signs and says its fine, he's not bring any different with her than with us, but I've done the research and I can tell. For background I grew up with an aggressive dog that for no reason just didn't like me so I'm particularly sensitive/worried about this.
My daughter brushes it under the carpet because a. she doesn't want to think anything bad of her beloved pup and b. she can't read the signs.
I'm a wreck, constantly checking she's OK when he's around and analysing everything he does....I just need some help/advice and to find out if anyone else has experienced similar? thanks so much for reading my outpouring/rant xx

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
It sounds like in those early days your daughter unwittingly overwhelmed him and as a consequence of that he does not trust her at the moment. Easy enough to turn around if she can be very calm and patient and let him come to her instead of crowding him and at 10 she is old enough to get involved wit( helping train him which should help things alone too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do intend to get her involved with training and she has done a bit of teaching him to 'site today. As soon as we go to puppy classes my intention is that daughter is very much involved.
She's really good, but it's so horrible to tell her not to go to him, but I know its the right thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do intend to get her involved with training and she has done a bit of teaching him to 'site today. As soon as we go to puppy classes my intention is that daughter is very much involved.
She's really good, but it's so horrible to tell her not to go to him, but I know its the right thing.
If it helps my anxiety is sky high also when it comes to my kids and our Stanley.
My fifteen year old was barked at last night but Im hoping it was just that he was in high spirits and it doesn't become a thing.
She is being left alone with him tonight, just for an hour why I take my youngest (9) to band practice and I'm hoping it have them bonding. From what I recall about dogs growing up they seem to bond quicker with those who give them their food.
I've got my youngest giving Stanley his last feed of the day just so they have that connection and when he's having a mad zoomies moment or rolling around wildly with his stuffed animals I tend to occupy him so they're away from each other.
In the mornings Stanley is a lot calmer, he sleeps through almost, after his half hour in the potty zone, I feed him, wake the kids for school by which point Stanley's happily munching away and the kids are at the table. My youngest is then free to roam the house with a tail wagging fluff ball behind him.
My youngest is incredibly nervous around him so I'm introducing them slowly.
I was going to get then to play together but at the moment it's just a bit too soon for him because I know of Stanley lunges it'll be a set back for us.
Slowly and steadily for us.
And like you I'll be taking him along to training classes when we can find one that's not full

1 - 4 of 4 Posts