I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 15 week old cockapoo Oliver is still having accidents inside. We've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He has never soiled his crate at night and during the day I have a playpen he will relax or nap in and he won't soil there either. I have bells on the door I always ring saying potty and I take him out all the necessary and appropriate times during the day. He gets rewarded when he goes- mostly with praise now. Even if I have him on a leash with me, he will go if he gets the urge. No warning~ He's a smart boy, but is struggling with this concept. I have mostly hard floors and he tends to stray toward the area rugs and go there. I have been giving him more freedom to roam in the room I'm in only because I feel like I keep him to confined to me. Many people I know with puppies have them fully trained by 16 weeks. 20200515_174108.jpg

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Increase how often you are taking him out and reward really well any time he goes outside. If he is struggling then out at least every hour, when he wakes, when he has eaten and when he has played plus anytime his nose goes down or he heads towards the rugs. Anything inside just ignore and clean up. If he has areas he is attracted to there may be traces of scent left there which will attract him so be sure to use a product which will get rid of any traces of scent. Need to use specific products not just general human cleaners although biological washing powder will do the job nicely.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your puppy looks gorgeous. He’ll get there. They hate citrus smells so I used diluted washing liquid then sprayed or wiped down with strong lemon wipes. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts