I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, is I have done research and lots of training look ups but nothing seems to be working. Am I expecting too much.

Reggie is 8 weeks and 2 days old and has picked up sit but nothing else. He also cries all the time, even if he is sat at my feet and not mentioning in his crate at night.

That's the main issue for me, I'm a solo dog parent and when its time to go to bed I soothe him in and dont leave until he is sleeping. I leave him in the kitchen with the crate door locked and I go to bed..
Gove it an hour and he cries. I go down at 2.30am to check on him an dout for a wee and settle him again and it Carrie's on. Always coming down too a mushed up poo on his puppy mat in his crate.

I want to stick it out with the crate until he is toilet trained then he can go anywhere but until then I cant but I dont want him to dislike me in the run up to it.

Hes also not a food orientated dog so treats are not working at all.

I love him to bits but wondered if there was any advice.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Have the crate in your bedroom or sleep down with him for now - he is a baby away from his home and you need to settle him in. If you are with him you will hear when he is unsettled and be able to take him out for a loo break. Ditch the puppy pads and just take him outside for all his toileting

Not sure what else you are expecting of a baby you have had for just a few days?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the crate in your bedroom or sleep down with him for now - he is a baby away from his home and you need to settle him in. If you are with him you will hear when he is unsettled and be able to take him out for a loo break. Ditch the puppy pads and just take him outside for all his toileting

Not sure what else you are expecting of a baby you have had for just a few days?
I know, I just feel like leaving him to cry. I dont want him to hate me. I know it takes time but I'm scared I'm doing anything wrong.

Thank you for the advice but I've literally no room in my bedroom to put the crate.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Leaving him to cry is not setting either of you up for success - far kinder to stay with him until he is happy and settled and knows sleeping in his crate is safe. Not about him hating you - more about creating a happy relaxed baby make a good transition to a new home

·
Registered
43 Posts
I second having the crate in your room. If it doesn't fit, how about just outside in the hall so they can hear and smell you? You can move it somewhere permanent when they are more settled. Please don't leave your puppy to cry. I have heard it can make separation anxiety worse. They are a baby suddenly taken away from everything they have ever known. Within a week they will be happier. Lots of hugs and cuddles just like you would with a baby. My dog is now 14 months old and those early puppy days seemed to fly by. Once he was settled he became very confident and independent. You won't spoil you puppy by making it feel loved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts