I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Our family dog, Shanti (5) had a singleton black puppy who is 3 weeks old tomorrow. She is called Maple and very, very cute!

Her eyes opened a few days ago and they seem a deep blue colour. I understand they take a few days to be able to focus... I'm just noticing that she doesn't seem to have pupils that I can see?
I'm wondering if this is normal and they develop as her eyes mature? Or whether she may be blind?
Obviously, at this stage there is lots of wobbling and falling about while she is so little but any advice to soothe my (hopefully irrational) nerves would be welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Please find photos of her attached here: https://www.instagram.com/maplepuppycake

·
Registered
108 Posts
What a little darling!
I'm no expert, but your question made me curious, and I found this:

https://www.cuteness.com/blog/content/when-will-my-puppys-eye-color-be-permanent

"Puppies' eyes aren't visible right after they're born. The furry creatures start out with closed eyes and as a result, no vision. Their eyes only begin to reveal themselves -- and slowly open -- once puppies are somewhere in the range of 8 to 14 days old. At this time, their eyes are blue and wholly uniform in color, meaning there is no change from the irises to the pupils."

It goes on to say the final eye colour gradually appears from 4-6 weeks, so it looks like there's no need to worry.

Although visit to the vet would probably be a good idea anyway, just to get her checked over, and then you can get advice on injections etc too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help Clemmy - This settled my mind somewhat!
Will take her to the vet for a checkover soon too.
All the best :)

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
It is lovely watching baby puppies grow and develop from little slugs to fluffy pups and every stage in between - she will benefit from lots of human socialization and her mum will tolerate her and give her more attention happily for longer than she would have done had she had 8 hungry pups!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts