I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

7w/o pup!PottyTraining/Biting/Food/Grooming/Cherry Eye

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Laura(L)Izzie 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My family and I recently brought home our Cockapoo puppy. A week ago on Tuesday. It's been quite stressful. Having to constantly have all of my attention on him to ensure he doesn't have accidents on the floor, a toddler, and currently very deprived of attention 3.5 y/o Yorkie, Linus. It's been a challenge! Nonetheless, I had a few question regarding my cockapoo, Schroeder.

1) POTTY TRAINING varies for every dog, but how long were your experiences? Any tips?
2) BITING I'm going insane! He doesn't bite constantly by any means. Just when he gets super excited and he loves going after my 3 year old son(he's usually playing on the floor and an easy target) He is a relentless(as expected) biter during those times, nevertheless. Can you recommend any brand of chewing bones?
3) FOOD. I'm giving him Castor & Pollux the Puppy kind. He is doing well on it. I'm interested to know what each of you are feeding your pups!
4) GROOMING. I'm using an OATMEAL shampoo & conditioner. Following his bath tonight, I began drying him and when I finished, I noticed his coat was much less wavy/curly and a big whitr fluff ball! Is this normal?
5) CHERRY EYE. My baby has it in his left eye. :-( It did not make an appearance until he was 6 weeks old, a week before we were to bring him home. I was initially devastated until I did my research. We had already fallen in love with him and could not accept a refund and "move on". I'm curious if there are any owners out there who have dealt with this. We're opting for surgery after he's 6 months old. Was your surgery experience successful? I am aware of the high failure rate(gland pops back out)

Thank you in advance! <3

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello,
My family and I recently brought home our Cockapoo puppy. A week ago on Tuesday. It's been quite stressful. Having to constantly have all of my attention on him to ensure he doesn't have accidents on the floor, a toddler, and currently very deprived of attention 3.5 y/o Yorkie, Linus. It's been a challenge! Nonetheless, I had a few question regarding my cockapoo, Schroeder.

1) POTTY TRAINING varies for every dog, but how long were your experiences? Any tips?All puppies are different, you just have to be consistant. make sure he goes out after eating, sleeping, playing. Just like a baby really.
2) BITING I'm going insane! He doesn't bite constantly by any means. Just when he gets super excited and he loves going after my 3 year old son(he's usually playing on the floor and an easy target) He is a relentless(as expected) biter during those times, nevertheless. Can you recommend any brand of chewing bones? Do you have a crate for your puppy? Your puppy may be getting over stimulated and if he does the biting will increase. Think again like babies, tired = crabby!! Some down time in his crate when he is getting a bit much will give him and you some peace.
Stag bars are a great chew, safe and will keep them occupied for hours.
3) FOOD. I'm giving him Castor & Pollux the Puppy kind. He is doing well on it. I'm interested to know what each of you are feeding your pups!
4) GROOMING. I'm using an OATMEAL shampoo & conditioner. Following his bath tonight, I began drying him and when I finished, I noticed his coat was much less wavy/curly and a big whitr fluff ball! Is this normal?Yes, you will find it will go back to normal by tomorrow. Try not to bath too often as you can wash important oils from the skin and coat.
5) CHERRY EYE. My baby has it in his left eye. :-( It did not make an appearance until he was 6 weeks old, a week before we were to bring him home. I was initially devastated until I did my research. We had already fallen in love with him and could not accept a refund and "move on". I'm curious if there are any owners out there who have dealt with this. We're opting for surgery after he's 6 months old. Was your surgery experience successful? I am aware of the high failure rate(gland pops back out)I don't know of any cockapoos that have suffered with this, as it is far more common in american cockers. I hope the surgery works for your puppy!

Thank you in advance!
http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CherryEye.html <3

The link I have put in may offer a nonsurgical resolution to the problem if you haven't already tried it. you could go back to your breeder and ask if they have had puppies with this before, as it is passed on through genetics. Good luck with your new pup.

#3 ·
I have three and five yr old kids. Milo initially thought it was fun to bite particularly my three year old and she was getting scared of him! I'd advise u don't let them play together unsupervised. Teach him the 'off' cue and use it on a stern voice when he looks like he's going for a bite.

When he bites shoes or furniture u can distract him with a loud noise and give him a chew toy instead. Milo likes toys which make a sound.

#4 ·
Also just incase commands don't work to stop biting you could try to use a 'time out' room to pup the puppy in if it continues when you've told him not to, for example we use the kitchen with out two & when they're being naughty (& don't listen to us) or as pups if they continue biting after being told we would say 'do you want to go in the kitchen?' We use it when Izzie barks a lot as well if it starts annoying us! She stops haha :) Izzie is now 15 months old & understand exactly what we mean when we ask so generally she stops being naughty, Poppy is still learning, but it works a treat!

Just a tip incase you feel it will help :) Good luck! & I hope the operation goes well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.