I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, this topic has come up a number of times and
there has been mixed opinions. The general view seems to be to wait unitl
the resident dog is about a year old. I have recently bought home an 8 week old pup as a play mate for Betty who is 13 Months and it is great. To be honest I don't think doing it a few months earlier would have made any difference in our case. I also think a lot of it boils down to the personality of the dog...many people had told me that Betty was the kind of dog that would love another dog for company....and they were rightxx
Good luck with your search......would love to see a picture of Ronnie..the cockapoo with sticky up ears:):)

· Registered
575 Posts
Ah i want to see Ronnie - he sounds adorable x
We got Clyde when Treacle was just under 12 months and it has been fantastic - they are so sociable and I haven't met a cockapoo yet that hasn't been a Social Butterfly.

It is double the fun and not double the workload unless you are always bathing your dog!

I highly recommend 2 poos

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new here so just introducing myself and also asking some advice. I have a gorgeous 9 month old Mini Cockapoo called Ronnie who I got from a VERY reputable breeder, turns out he is the only Cockapoo anyone has ever seen with ears that STICK UP - lol. I contacted my breeder to tell her and she offered to exchange him but he is our pet we love him dearly and regardless of how he looks we will always keep him.

We have decided to get another cockapoo because although I don't work and am often at home I think he would love and benefit from a little playmate. I have researched this in length and it is fine at his age to get another puppy. Was just wondering if anyone else had done this and had any good tips.
In the same boat as you Hattie is nearly nine months and I collect her half brother (same dad different mum!) sometime in the next two weeks. Deceided better to get all the puppy stuff out of the way around the same time. She will hopefully love a playmate as it may be a bit quiet with just me! I also think dogs need other dogs for company I had two Jack Russells (littermates!) for 15 years. Nearly took two poo pups together but remembered the toilet training of my terriers and the fact litter mates do not always make the best of friends! Will no doubt have numerous posts about my experiences but I am looking forward to it.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
Mine have 7 months between them and I haved loved having two young playful ones together. Dexter has always loved the company of other dogs and Bonnie is his ideal companion. It is definitely double the fun but double the mud and the grooming!

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Mine have 7 months between them and I haved loved having two young playful ones together. Dexter has always loved the company of other dogs and Bonnie is his ideal companion. It is definitely double the fun but double the mud and the grooming!
Same difference as Hattie and Minton thought a 'summer' pup would be a breeze but where is the summer!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your advise, it is really helpful especially as Ronnie is my 1st Dog. We already have a Dog lined up and hopefully he will be coming to us on 24th, a little Boy called Ronnie believe it or not (will have to change that). I will put pics of Ronnie no.1 on as soon as I get the chance. Also if there is any advise on what i should do for bed-time I would be really gratefull! Ronnie sleeps well at night but will only sleep in his crete so I guess I need to get another for no.2. Also do you think we will have lots of barking at night at first? Ronnie did have 2 bad nights when he came but settled down nicely on the 3rd! I am a bit worried the puppy will bark and set him off, should i put their cretes next to each other or seperate them? thanks all x

· Registered
8,349 Posts
A name change will be needed .. Ronnie and Ronnie will be tricky :) Are you adopting Ronnie number 2? ...

Oh yes lots of photos please ...

Night time routine, you can have one large crate for both dogs to share, use two crates, use dog beds or dog pillows, all personal preference really .. and depends on what your dogs prefer.

Is Ronnie number 2 a puppy, as he may settle well with Ronnie 1 as a friend ... my new puppy has just slipped into my older dogs routine instantly, no night time crying, sleeps til we get up .. second dogs tend to fit into your exsisting routine I find :)

Dont forget lots of photo please xxx

· Registered
2,870 Posts
Hi & welcome! We also have a 9 month old unusual little 'poo' - I say that as he didn't quite turn out as we expected from what we thought we had bought - but like you - we love him all the same. We are also planning on getting another puppy soon and Biscuit is like Ronnie in that he sleeps well in his crate and I'm also wondering whether to have two crates near each other. Would also love to see a pic of Ronnie - love the name - and love the idea you're going to have 'The Two Ronnies'!! x

· Registered
607 Posts
You may want to consider getting a sister for Ronnie rather than another boy, I was advised that generally different sexes get on better.
I have 2 boys and our previous 2 were boys as well, I think sometimes characters come into it , as they do with people.
My 2 have been close from day 1, they are a year different in age, Scamp ( the younger one ) was neutered age 17 mths.
I decided to do this as he is quite a bit bigger than Rascal and I didn't want him to think he was top dog because of his size.
He certainly doesn't scent mark like Rascal when we're out.
They play well together and bare their teeth when playing ( but this appears to be a poo trait ), as others on here have said their dogs do this as well.
To sum up we have never had any issues arise from having male dogs in 23 yrs but of course there will be lots of people who have.:D

· Registered
8,636 Posts
We got no.2 when Wilf was 3, he had a bed in the lounge and initially I was going to crate Mabke in a different room, but as Kendal pointed out if my long term aim was for them to sleep together then perhaps they would be better starting off i the same room, that made sense.
Mable grumbled for about a minute when we went to bed, how easy, not so Wilf went on to wimper on and off I think until 2 or 3, he had been quite happy with her there, I just dont think he realsied that he was being left babaysitting. I think he did the same but only for about half an hour the following evening then he was ok x

· Registered
1,269 Posts
I have two 36' crates side by side for when I have to go out considerd high rise but not practicle! At night Minton will be in a 30' crate next to my bed Hattie sleeps with me once I can be sure he is dry I can review sleeping arrangements. As long as I am sure she will not chew him up then I will let them in together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.