I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much for thinking I'd made progress with Millie.

She found a nice tasty rabbit and would not give it up for anything. I tried Leave & No. I tried to catch her, but she always stayed just far enough out of arms reach. I tried leaving her behind and going way out of sight. When I peeked round the corner at her, she was just sat there enjoying her feast.:confused::(:confused::(:confused::(:(

It took me 25 mins to finally lunge out and grab her, put her lead back on and frog march her home.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Any other time, the Leave & No works, but not obviously when the prize is a dead rabbit. How do you make it clear that that behaviour is not acceptable.

Now I feel so down :(:(

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Well Millie is a raw fed dog so I suppose to her she was just eating her normal lunch. She probably couldn't understand why you were being so mean!
I had just the same with Dexter this morning. He found a half eaten pidgeon covered in flies- I had to put him on the lead and drag him off!

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
It is so hard to get them to not eat something that grosses us out but is natural to them....so nasty...Lady always goes for dead mice.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Julie .. please don't be so hard on yourself ... I call moments like that .. blips..

My blip this evening .. Oakley is trying to hump Honey .. non stop .. he just isn't stopping ... he is still doing the action even when he is off her .... poor Oakley thrusting all the way around the kitchen ... see we all have blips xxx

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
There are some things that are just beyond normal everyday experiences, and lovely, dead, fragrant, fascinating animals are amongst those :eek: I think that there are very few dogs, no matter how well trained they are, that will obey commands to leave once they are stuck into a wonderful experience like that. Instinct just takes over. And even offering treats in exchange is unlikely to prove more attractive. So don't beat yourself up - I think that you just have to be philosophical about it and accept that dogs will be dogs (and avoid canine kisses afterwards for a very long time :D).

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darn, I just wrote a reply and is disappeared :(

As I was saying....

Thank you for the support. I know its going to be a tough and maybe impossible thing to train Millie not to do. But I am fairly tenacious so wont give up yet.

I forced myself to go back out just now, with Millie on a long lead, back to dead rabbit. We did loads of Leave and she responded well to the clicker and tasty treats. I did stamp my foot once and oh boy did she jump, so I'll save that for desperate times. Millie knew she was in my bad books and was trying really hard to please me.

I even let her off her lead to play with a black lab and she still chose not to go for the rabbit.

So all in all a successful trip back out and I know there is more training I must try and do. The best bit about going back out again, is we are friends again :kiss:

Oh no :kiss: yet, :eek:, just :hug::D:hug:

·
Registered
51 Posts
At least she was civilised about it. My lurcher and my friends Dalmation found the stinkiest most rotten rabbit possible and spent 10 minutes running around the field with it passing it from one to another or sometimes carrying it together.
When they realised they were cornered they tried to scoff it as quickly as possible. We grabbed them and frogmarched them off on their leads. After a mile we let them back off and Dave being a lurcher and incredibley thick had forgotten about it. The Dalmation however was last seen sprinting back down the cycle path towards the rabbit with his owner in hot pursuit :D

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Oh Julie, you are being too hard on yourself! :( Don't forget Millie is still really a puppy. You will both get there in the end. I think you did the right thing going back with the long line so you have the control if she won't leave it. I'd keep working on that strategy and also see if you can find some new uber reward that she really wants.

Another thought. I use the ball a lot to distract Obi from stuff I don't want him to notice. If I see something ahead (dead things, toddlers!) I throw the ball in the opposite direction and he goes after it and we get past the object of desire as quickly as possible!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
What a shame Julie - after Millie had been so good. I'm sure Millie just couldn't resist that tempting devil of a rabbit! :decision:

But please tell me where it was so I don't go there tomorrow and come accross it with Lolly!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Don't be down Julie! As adorable as they are sometimes they do very stinky things, they can't help it, it is like me being drawn to chocolate cake (not that chocolate cake is stinky)! :D I just can't resist it! :tapedshut:

Glad the second walk was better. At least she didn't roll in it aswell! :eek:

JoJo - I have now had a funny image of poor horny Oakley thrusting at thin air! Bless him! :D It must be their age, Daisy's friend Max is very much the same so I am on super alert for her season starting :spy: as they are very good friends :hug:, it looks like they hug and kiss when they greet eachother! :love-eyes:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Oh not got to the dead things bit yet with Cara. The ones I don't understand and all my previous dogs did it ... Eating horse poo & rubbing their necks in sheep poo .... Why? xx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts