I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont mean to brag but my boy Axle is so handsome BUT I cannot and I mean CANNOT stand when people come up to me and start to touch him. Does this bug anyone else?

Example, I was walking Axle past the park (this literally happened, no exaggeration) these 3 girls probably the age of 10 ran full speed at him and huddled over him and Axle did NOT like it. I told the girls that he was a puppy and you do noy charge at a dog. I then proceeded with my walk.

I was walking Axle and this man stops to bend down and pet him. Axle loves attention, but from people he knows. He will not go up to a stranger and I do not want him to feel threatened because random people feel the need to touch him.

This bugs me so much. So bad to the point where at times if I see people I will pick him up and hold him for a few minutes. This is very frustrating and I do not agree with people and them feeling the need that they can touch my dog. I would NEVER pet anyone elses dog without asking for permission. It is just the right thing to do in my opinion.

Conclusion: I do not want Axle to become afraid / jumpy at strangers. I want to enjoy my walks with him everynight and make him feel like he has to watch his back all the time.

Good note. Axle has not had an accident in the house in 2 weeks. =) SO very proud of him.

And, since this is the "Chit Chat" forum, lets chit chat! My favorite band is Pearl Jam. Whats yours?

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi i thinks its just cockapoos are sooo gorgeous that you get alot of attention.we took coco for a walk around windsor a few weeks ago and we must have got stopped at least 30 times,but i draw the line when people just stop and pick her up ,thats too far.toilet training is not going brilliantly for us .have you got any tips ? x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
you can gets coats saying puppy in training please do not touch, it doesn't have to just be for working dogs or display a Charity logo, might be something to consider.
i must admit,it i don't ask before petting as much as i should but i still encourage my little brother to ask. but i think thats because im so used to dealing with owners coming to the training school wanting their dogs to be good with people and it makes them feel more comfortable if you are hands on with their dog as your talking to them. with bigger dog its more to show people im not scared of them and not judging them for having a big breed.

but with a dog that looks like a cuddly toy its hard for people to resist petting, if its that big a problem just tell them before they go to pet that he is in training and you don't want him petted.
but be careful the was you are feeling is what is causing him to shay away from strangers.
personally i have no problem with people petting my girls and i encourage kid to pet them but i control my girls so they don't jump up

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally do not mind people petting him as long as they approach him in a calm manor and not rush up to him like he is the last thing on earth. You know what I mean? lol He is a very loving puppy. Loves my little brother, his friends, my mom and everyone. I just do not think strangers have the right to charge at him aka little kids.

Witchie: As far as training, I used to take Axle out every hour for about 10 - 15 minutes until he would pee. When he did I would praise him sooo much that he would get so excited and jump all around. I did this for a month. If he did not pee I would bring him in the house, put him in his crate and take him again in a 1/2 hour until he did do his business. He just got it with the few exceptions of an accident here and there. Now I take him out for a walk every 4 - 6 hours which works great. He will go as soon as I take him to his spot. He will not go in the house. Or hasent for a while now. The key is consistency. Do not give up on your pup. He will get it. Since you cannot communicate through words you need to do so through actions. So, taking him out all the time (to the same spot in my opinion) will soon show him that when he is taken to that spot he has to pee. =) I hope this helps. I was getting VERY frustrated with Axle for a while there, then one day he just got it.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh gosh you d hate me xxxx I love seeing new pups and im straight in there , although i think the owners usually look so gushy they expect you to aknowledge their pup . I agree i think cockapoos get more attention than most you get stopped all the time... Wilf got where he expected it , if people did nt stop hewas surprised. Got my new pup today and cant wait to get her out there and see peoples response x

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said do not get me wrong. People can come and pet him if they ask first. People can be so rude going up to him and touching him like he is theirs. Make sense? If someone said "May I touch him?" I would say absolutely! I am a very well mannered person and when I feel that someone is disrespecting myself and or my family including Axle I get a little offended. I would never touch someone elses dog without asking. I mean, would you touch someones baby in their stroller without asking? I dont think so. lol

I do think that Cockapoos get a lot more attention. For one they are adorable and second you do not see them alot so I expect it just ask! lol :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hm, Sawyer loves attention from anyone (especially kids) so I don't mind, but now that you bring it up I guess it is kind of rude. I don't ask to touch dogs, but usually I just don't pet them unless it's obvious that it's okay (like the owner actually stops to let me see the dog and the dog seems very outgoing). I will ask in the future, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not at all, different dogs have different preferences, and I do think it's polite to ask before petting. Not to mention it's probably safer for everyone involved.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok good. I thought that maybe people were getting the wrong impression. :) And I agree. Safer for everyone. Even though Axle would never hurt anyone, it is just the right thing to do in my opinion.

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts