I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a kong toy.......when you "stuff" it with something like peanut butter or cream cheese.....do you literally fill it as full as you can.....or do you just put some right up at the thin end.....or just a little bit around the wider opening? We have tried just smearing a bit around the wider opening but he licks this off in about 2 minutes and then moves on to the next thing.

thanks all.....I seem to have nothing but questions....feel like I am doing everything wrong!!! :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I think you are supposed to try to fill them up but agree it's difficult with
peanut butter or cream cheese. I buy the kong filler (from PAH) which comes
in a pressurised can with a nozzle which make filling easy. If you freeze whatever you put inside it makes it last longer!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi, I put lots of different things in Rosie's - whatever I have to hand really. Sometimes it's little biscuit treats, sometimes it's just her normal food (natural instinct - it goes in quite well). I tend to use peanut butter or cream cheese to plug the hole when I've put something else inside. Two treats in one!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi, I put lots of different things in Rosie's - whatever I have to hand really. Sometimes it's little biscuit treats, sometimes it's just her normal food (natural instinct - it goes in quite well). I tend to use peanut butter or cream cheese to plug the hole when I've put something else inside. Two treats in one!
I do this also, I'v found the perfect sized treat (Bakers Minibones) I put a small kibble or biscuit treat in the bottom, which makes the space perfect to lodge a mini bone under the top rim, I then alternate with peanut butter or cream cheese (primula, easy squeezy!!) for variety, just a small amount around the rim to make it yummy. It keeps Parker busy for hours (we work so he's left at home alot mornings and afternoons). This week the bone was still in it after two days!!!!!! He's got crafty and chucks it in the air onto the floor to try and dislodge it :)

Bakers aren't the healthiest but they are sooooo smelly and yummy that I think one every now and again doesn't harm. They are kept purely for kong treats. Kong do do biscuits (pets at home sell them) that lodge in too but they are pricey.

I think ours is the medium sized kong!

I'm looking for another version of a kong to make vary it even more!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I would weigh out Buddys kibble for the day then use a small amount of that mixed with either the peanut butter or cream cheese then i would stuff the kong (using the spoon to stuff it right down to the bottom) Sometimes he wouldnt be able to get right down to the end so i would push what was left out for him.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I do this also, I'v found the perfect sized treat (Bakers Minibones)

Bakers aren't the healthiest but they are sooooo smelly and yummy that I think one every now and again doesn't harm.
I buy Harringtons treats from Sainsbury's. Rosie can eat them fine, because they don't have cereal in them, and the teeth and breath ones fit perfectly in a large Kong and smell all herby and lovely. And so does Rosie afterwards!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I do this also, I'v found the perfect sized treat (Bakers Minibones) I put a small kibble or biscuit treat in the bottom, which makes the space perfect to lodge a mini bone under the top rim, I then alternate with peanut butter or cream cheese (primula, easy squeezy!!) for variety, just a small amount around the rim to make it yummy. It keeps Parker busy for hours (we work so he's left at home alot mornings and afternoons). This week the bone was still in it after two days!!!!!! He's got crafty and chucks it in the air onto the floor to try and dislodge it :)

Bakers aren't the healthiest but they are sooooo smelly and yummy that I think one every now and again doesn't harm. They are kept purely for kong treats. Kong do do biscuits (pets at home sell them) that lodge in too but they are pricey.

I think ours is the medium sized kong!

I'm looking for another version of a kong to make vary it even more!
Try the Kong stuffaball or genius for something different :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
It keeps Parker busy for hours (we work so he's left at home alot mornings and afternoons). This week the bone was still in it after two days!!!!!! He's got crafty and chucks it in the air onto the floor to try and dislodge it :)

Maisie is a very close relative and she does the same, smacks her kong down on the floor hoping everying just falls out of it!! i put biscuits, kibble, chicken in the bottom of her kong and then put a bit of natures diet to fill the top. Maisie can be lazy too!! if she cant get the treat out, she will bring it to you feet and whine for you to get it out for her! if you dont, she just leaves it!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I buy Harringtons treats from Sainsbury's. Rosie can eat them fine, because they don't have cereal in them, and the teeth and breath ones fit perfectly in a large Kong and smell all herby and lovely. And so does Rosie afterwards!
Ooooh, I'll look out for those! I've resorted to only stuffing it with smaller things now though as he's getting a little obsessed with his kong. He's a bit of a guarder and started being a little grumpy when I got home if he hadn't emptied it :(

But they sound lovely so I'll definitely give them a try, I can always break them up a little if necessary, thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It keeps Parker busy for hours (we work so he's left at home alot mornings and afternoons). This week the bone was still in it after two days!!!!!! He's got crafty and chucks it in the air onto the floor to try and dislodge it :)

Maisie is a very close relative and she does the same, smacks her kong down on the floor hoping everying just falls out of it!! i put biscuits, kibble, chicken in the bottom of her kong and then put a bit of natures diet to fill the top. Maisie can be lazy too!! if she cant get the treat out, she will bring it to you feet and whine for you to get it out for her! if you dont, she just leaves it!!
Ha, ha - great minds and all that ;-) Oh, how I wish Parker would bring it to my feet and then lose interest..... he greets us with a look (instead of what used to be a little dance on his back legs), and proceeds to his bed in the lounge carrying his kong (he sleeps in the Utility Room when we are out) for a while to guard it until he's kind of gathered your not going to nick it off him. His only little trait I'm not too fond of :( I've started stuffing it with things I know he can get out of it now so that it's empty when I / we get home - not so much fun but hey ho....

I am thinking I may have to give up the kong for a while or at least not give it to him every day so that he's not so obsessed with it but I hate leaving him when we go to work and like to give it to him so that it keeps him busy :-(

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use mashed banana in Gaia's, if I've got any bit of treats left from training they go in as well, then I freeze it. I also use the old stuffed bones that you buy and restuff them with the same mixture and freeze. To me cheese bits and banana don't really go but I've had no complaints ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use mashed banana in Gaia's, if I've got any bit of treats left from training they go in as well, then I freeze it. I also use the old stuffed bones that you buy and restuff them with the same mixture and freeze. To me cheese bits and banana don't really go but I've had no complaints ;)
Oooh, what a great idea - or so I thought, lol. Tried Parker with Banana this morning with the intention of stuffing his kong with that instead of cream cheese or peanut butter - healthier option I thought.... he wasn't impressed and stuck his nose up at it....shame!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.