I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The worst thing that has ever happened to me happened tonight. Willow and Bracken were play fighting (nothing new) when all of a sudden they both started screaming. Willow had got Bracken's collar with her lower jaw and then twisted some how so that it was tight round Willows jaw and tight round Bracken's throat. They were both screaming and thrashing which made it hard to hold them still and work out how to get the collar untwisted or off. Jim went to get a knife to try and cut the collar off of Bracken. There wasn't enough slack to get the knife under the collar. At some point Bracken defecated and went completely limp. I vividly remember shouting that Bracken was dead and hurry to get the collar off (which we were obviously already doing as fast as we could). I tried again to get the knife under her collar and suddenly realised I had the buckle close to my fingers. Throughout this Willow is thrashing her head around trying to get away which is making the whole thing even harder. To get the collar off we had to pull the collar tighter to release the pin and get it back through the hole. As soon as we got it off I shouted at Jim to give Bracken mouth to mouth (he was already holding her). He said she was breathing and whilst I rang the vet he said she was getting stronger. We were at the vets 10 mins later but the vet was driving from another practice and by the time we saw him it was half an hour later. As soon as we walked into the vets Bracken perked up (she loves the vet). I thought the receptionist and vet nurse who were present were far to blaze (accent over the e) and when the vet nurse approached and I warned her that bracken was covered in poo her response was "eww" and she stepped back (given that Bracken defecated because she was close to the end seemed to bypass her). The vet said that she's fine and to keep an eye on her tonight but long run she'll be fine.

We gave her a bath when we got home and she had her dinner a little later (dry kibble wetted with warm water which she wolfed down as per usual). Since then she's been snuggled on the sofa.

Willow was checked out by the vet and although she has cut her bottom lip and is a bit sore, she's ok too and also yummed down her dinner.

I will be putting clip style collars on them both and will make sure that they will allow two fingers under with no more space. I also won't have them wearing collars in the house.

They're both fine now but I'm not. I keep reliving the whole thing, especially the part when Bracken went limp and I felt helpless. I think it was about five minutes from start to finish but feels much longer. Once we had bathed Bracken and were settled on the sofa I became hysterical. I kept thinking about the what ifs especially what if it had happened when they had been home alone or at day care or with my parents. We're all sleeping on the sofa tonight but I don't think I'll sleep.

I'm posting this partially for my own sanity (I find that voicing things here helps me move past it) and also as a warning for anyone who could find themselves in a similar situation.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
OMG Laura!!! That is so very scary!!!! Can I first please say that you did brilliant!!! You reacted quickly and did the very best you could considering the emergent situation!! Thank the Lord you were both home and could work as a team to get this sorted rapidly! As a nurse I cant think of anything you did wrong. Obviously . . Bracken was in serious trouble and you knew that . . the "Panic" was set as she could not breathe and this causes everything to accelerate. You both certainly saved her life!! Probably both of them. My heart was pounding as I read your post, so I cannot even imagine how you must have felt! I know it will be relived in your thoughts over and over but we certainly cannot forsee these freak accidents and your reactions were totally great! Please calm yourself as there is no taking it back now and as soon as her airway was restored, she was really fine. Glad you took them for a check anyway to make sure there was no damage to her windpipe. A pox on the silly nurse!! Should be used to poo smell. Have a glass of wine and hope you all have a wonderful snuggly night together on the couch!! Hugs and Kisses from Sami and Carley . . I'm so glad this turned out ok.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Jeez Laura!! How terrifying and what an ordeal! Thank god it all turned out ok in the end. Poor little bracken. You did all the right things and acted very quickly which is all you can do in these situations. I do hope you are ok, try not to dwell on what could have been and give your girls big cuddles.

Huge hugs to you and your pups :hug: :hug: xx

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Oh my God, what a scare! Thankfully you were both at home with them. Like you, I always keep Lola's collar on. Sounds like you did amazingly well, the poor dogs must have got such a fright. Lucky they didn't go for you with all the stress of the situation. I can't believe the nurse was so awful, especially since it must have been clear that you were all still in shock. I hope you manage to get some sleep and that your babies are feeling better in the morning. N x

·
Registered
826 Posts
Oh Laura that must have been so scary for you all, so sorry to read about your experience. Glad the outcome was all ok for Bracken and Willow. Hope you can put it behind you too xx
P.S what a stupid vet's nurse, your job is deal with animals, you chose that job.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Eeek , what a horror story. Well done you for acting so quickly. I think it is a tough call regarding wearing collars in the house as I would prefer them to have their tag on if ever they ''escaped'' from the house ( although both mine are chipped).
Anyway, glad they are both OK.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both the pups are totally fine today! Ate breakfast with no probs and over night Bracken was a bit of a fidget but ok! Willow tried to rough play this morning and Bracken really barked and snapped at her so they've not played like that again yet. They're obviously still ok with one another, all other behaviour is the same. I didn't sleep brilliantly with lots of dreams (not all reliving it but most were) and lots of awake periods. I rang my boss last night and told her what happened, she's a dog owner too so has been really understanding. I decided to work from home today rather than send Bracken to day care and if it all catches up with me my boss said to just call her and take a day or half day off. I love them both so much and I can't stop my brain wandering to the what ifs. Thank you for all of your kind words especially as many of you are going through tough times, this forum really helps me :) sending big hugs back to you all!

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,183 Posts
Laura :hug: a very scary experience for all of you. So glad they are ok. I've heard of similar stories so it can happen quite easily. I think I might just have to remove our collars now given how much time my two spend play fighting together. Thank you for sharing and making people aware of the danger.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Aw poor you Laura - so pleased to hear Willow & Bracken are both fine! They will be over it now but im sure it will take you awhile to stop thinking of it.

You did your best & thank-fully all worked out :) sending you hugs x

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Oh what a terrifying experience! I'm so glad that everything is now ok! It is such a good job you were both there. What an awful veterinary nurse, not what you need after such a traumatic experience :( xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
How awful...
So glad that both your girls have bounced back and don't appear to be suffering from that horrendous experience.
No wonder you were tearful and didn't sleep well... just reading your post was upsetting enough.
You and Jim be gentle and kind to each other - you must both still be in shock.
Full points to your boss for being so lovely and a big BOO to the vet nurse.

·
Registered
303 Posts
OMG Laura that was awful for you all. You just don't think anything like that could happen until it does. You did so well you should be proud of what you did. Like you said it's a good job you were at home.x x

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Laura I am so glad everything has turned out well, it must have been a nightmare for you, I can only repeat what others have said about you both acting so fast and doing so well, it is lovely that you have such an understanding boss as well. Hope you manage to sleep much better tonight.xx

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm only just catching up on this tread. OMG poor u and hubby. And poor dogs that must have been so frightening for everyone involved.

So glad it has a good ending.

I must admit I don't ever leave a collar on Tilly in the house.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
What an awful and traumatic day for you. Glad you were there and that all is ok now. I don't keep a collar on either of my dogs in the house or garden as I have heard of dogs getting their paws caught in them and all sorts. They are chipped so will just have to hope that that is enough should they ever escape! As for you Lozzie, have a good cry, a stiff drink, cuddle up to your family and thank your lucky stars that you were there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts