I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so hello :)
I have a 7.5 month old cockapoo called Amber. She is a large cockapoo, mum is a standard poodle, dad a working cocker.
So, the good bits. Brilliant with toilet training and has been since very early on. We did the alarm setting in the night and out every 20-30 mins in the day and she is awesome.
She is very lovable and sweet natured.
She has picked up training very well and can follow basic commands.
She is crate trained and sleeps through from about 10.30-7am ish when I get up. She is also happy to be in there is we are out or need a break!

The issues.
She is a chewer..and I mean really really bad. She chewed through 2 harnesses, one while it was on her. She goes around the house jumping up and on everything trying to get absolutely anything she can find and destroy it. I have chew toys but she is not particularly interested unless they are edible and there is only so many I can give her! She steals anything she can find but does not resource guard luckily.

Her recall was pretty good but is awful now and she will just run off with any dog she is allowed near. She is also very rough with other dogs and so I am finding walks stressful.

She really pulls on the lead despite trying to teach her to heel since she was young. We now have a perfect fit harness but she still tries to pull like mad.

She is walked twice a day for approx 30 mins each time. She has a puzzle feeder for meals and I sprinkle food as well. I try to do some training each day but not always manage it.

I am pretty exhausted to be honest and just not sure how to mentally tire her and stay sane. I have crated her for 30 mins now because she was just racing about grabbing anything and being a complete pain!

Any tips? I spent £50 on a 1:1 with a trainer but did not gain much - am tired.
Thanks
Becky

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, it’s so lovely that you started with the positives.
I can recall that exhausted feeling around the time our dog was that age. Is it all the time that she is starting to chew or just at particular times of the day? Is she still teething?
Digby was a chewer too, but it was mostly in the evening that it got quite frenetic. I’m not sure we did anything in particular that worked but we got lots of hard chew toys, used filled Kong and a puzzle treat dispenser for his evening meal. Even now we find that he prefers to work hard for his meals rather than just have them in a bowl. We also found a short time out in his crate helped him calm down and settle.
We found that Digby just sort of grew out of that phase. He is still quite destructive with soft toys, but will happily chew a bone or play with a ball instead of going after something he shouldn’t.
hopefully Amber will grow out of it too and you’ll get through that exhausted phase. hang in there 😀

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have a 7.5 month old cockapoo called Amber. She is a large cockapoo, mum is a standard poodle, dad a working cocker.
So, the good bits. Brilliant with toilet training and has been since very early on. We did the alarm setting in the night and out every 20-30 mins in the day and she is awesome.
She is crate trained and sleeps through from about 10.30-7am ish when I get up. She is also happy to be in there is we are out or need a break!

The issues.
She is a chewer..and I mean really really bad. She chewed through 2 harnesses, one while it was on her. She goes around the house jumping up and on everything trying to get absolutely anything she can find and destroy it. I have chew toys but she is not particularly interested unless they are edible and there is only so many I can give her! She steals anything she can find but does not resource guard luckily.

Her recall was pretty good but is awful now and she will just run off with any dog she is allowed near. She is also very rough with other dogs and so I am finding walks stressful.

She really pulls on the lead despite trying to teach her to heel since she was young. We now have a perfect fit harness but she still tries to pull like mad.

She is walked twice a day for approx 30 mins each time. She has a puzzle feeder for meals and I sprinkle food as well. I try to do some training each day but not always manage it.

I am pretty exhausted to be honest and just not sure how to mentally tire her and stay sane. I have crated her for 30 mins now because she was just racing about grabbing anything and being a complete pain!

Thanks
Becky
Sounds like she has learned to cross the boundaries and now feels top dog Maybe its back to basics again . You say she did so well initially. Just use constant positive reinforcement for all good behaviour ignore bad .....also make sure this is not a symptom of seperation anxiety ? Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dig, that is reassuring. I have been doing as you say and just crating her when it is just too much, I did it when she was a puppy but I think we have a bit of a regression going on!
Chapter - I do try to use positive reinforcement but it does not stop her at all. When I say she did well initially she has always been a total handful but I guess I thought we would have moved on further than we have.
I did not think she had SA because she sleeps so well in her crate and is fine if we go out. What makes you think it might be that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you tried a yakers bar. They are really hard to chew and are made from himalayan milk. My Mia spends ages chewing on it . You buy them from pets at home and are usually round the cash tills. They like them as they have a smokey flavour and can only knaw bits off it. When they get small you can put them in the microwave to puff up and love them. It's worth a try. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

The issues.

Thanks
Becky

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Cockapoo is now 5 years old. She has a lot of energy, which I think is common for the breed. She did ‘calm down’ after she turned 2 years old, but was very hyper before then. However she still requires a lot of exercise and attention. I wonder if two 30 minute walks are enough. Mine gets more than that and I’m fortunate I have the time. Are you playing with her indoors? I second the yak milk chews, and suggest antlers too. Good luck, puppyhood is challenging but training now does pay off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts