I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and wanting some advice, I have a 1 year cockpoo called Holly who I had booked in to get spayed but the vet felt she was just about come into season for the 2nd time slightly ealier than I expected, now i am worried that she has a higher chance of getting mammory cancer as he was going through the risk of leaving it till after her 2nd season. has this happened to anyone else where they have had there bitch spayed a bit later in life??
Thanks Karenxx

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I came across this link about spaying http://www.thelabradorsite.com/health/spaying.php

part of the article....

What is the outlook for a bitch with mammary tumour(s)

Mammary tumours are the most common tumour referral seen in veterinary practice in the UK and 50% of all canine mammary tumours are malignant (cancerous) In addition, 50% of these will already have spread by the time surgery is undertaken. Once the disease has reached this stage, the outlook is depressing. Invasive surgery, followed by radiation therapy or chemotherapy may be needed, treatments not available at all centres, and even then in 40-60% of cases the dog will lose her fight for life within two years.

Just as in humans, there appears to be a genetic element in the risk factors for canine mammary tumours. If siblings of your dog or her mother, have developed mammary tumours, then your bitch is at greater risk. This genetic component is presumably why pedigree dogs are also at increased risk

The benefits of spaying

There is no doubt that the incidence of this devastating disease can be almost completely eradicated if the female dog has her ovaries and uterus removed completely before she is sexually mature. Spaying before the first season reduces the risk of mammary tumours in your bitch to almost zero. Spaying between the first and second seasons reduces the incidence of mammary tumours to 7%. Spaying after the second season confers no real benefits in terms of prevention of this disease.

Spaying also offers the dog protection against pyometra (infection of the uterus) and of course has the added advantage for the owner who does not wish to breed, of removing the heat cycle so that the bitch can be worked/taken out in public, all year round. Most vets recommend that you spay your bitch after her first season to give her time to mature a little without raising the risk unneccessarily

The disadvantages of spaying.

Spaying your bitch is a relatively safe operation, though it carries with it a slightly increased risk of incontinence in the bitch afterwards. She is also likely to experience permanent changes in coat condition which may be unacceptable to some owners, particularly those who are ‘showing’ their dogs. There is also a perception that the bitch who is spayed very young may develop mentally in a different way from the entire bitch, perhaps altering her drive and potential in competitive fieldwork, though I could not find any concrete evidence for this. Nor is such evidence is likely to be forthcoming as gundogs do not complete their training before their second heat.

Hope this helps in your decision process.

Julia x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts