I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Looking for advice please if you have a sec.
We have reserved a Cockapoo puppy, due to be picked up in 3 weeks when he will be 8 weeks old. We have had regular photos and videos from the first time breeder. A couple of things struck me when looking at photos the other day, please see attached. Firstly his ears seem very short for a Cockapoo, and secondly, his coat seems extremely smooth rather than fluffy.
Do Cockapoos change greatly as they get older? Ie will the coat change or be very straight and will his ears drop down more?

Sorry for the ramble, we are potential first time dog owners, newbies! Any thoughts much appreciated.

many thanks,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was advised not to choose a puppy until they are at least 6 weeks of age as their coats begin to change. I’m not sure about the ears however, I’m a first time cockerpoo puppy owner also. Fingers crossed you get some valuable advice and a happy healthy puppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say he will be more smooth coated likely to shed. I visited my pup he’s 6 months now when he was 6 weeks old and he had waves which have turned into curls the waves grew long and straight but at the root of his fur you could see the twists he is now curly being a mixed breed the pups can take traits from either parents and even generations before. My pup was from a family cocker mum who was 10inches to the withers and dad was a miniature poodle 11 inches to the withers, Rufus is 6 months he weighs 10.5 kg and is 16 inches to the withers so comes under a standard size Cockapoo a massive difference to mum and dad but this can happen. We have another Cockapoo in the family she is different to my Rufus she has shorter legs and straighter hair. He already towers over her she is 4 but she has longer ears and looks like w Cockapoo. They vary so much. Mum looks like a cross cocker to me. Pup looks more like a husky pup ( because of his markings) but my pups ear were longer than yours when I got him but again being cross bred they all vary so much I personally wouldn’t see this pup as a cockapoo if I saw it, it doesn’t have the ‘typical’ look of a poo but as long as it’s happy and healthy and your happy with him you can always get him tested when you get him ( at a cost) but he looks adorable it just depends firstly on cost of him and if you will be happy with him whether or not he is a Cockapoo in the end. He does however stand out because of his markings, do you have pictures of the other pups how does he compare to his litter mates are they the same I can see they all have smooth looking coats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts