I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am seriously considering purchasing a cockapoo, having previously owned a golden retriever for 12 years. I work in a school and have 3 months off in which I would be at home with the pup and then come end of Sept would maybe (depending on if son home or not) have to leave it from 8.30 till 11.30, would be home for an hour lunch and then home at 3. Does any one foresee problems or think this is unfair. Obviously off all school hols as well and hubby does not work wednesdays.
When my golden retriever was a pup I did not work so have some reservations.
Many thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
That sounds OK to me as it wouldn't be left 9-5 5 days per week all the time. You would just need to make sure that puppy got used to being left during the 3 months before you went back by going out regularly and leaving it for 2-3 hours at a time so it's part of their routine.

If you want to bring home a puppy for the start of the school hols you'll need to get a bit of a wriggle on as puppies being collected end of July are being born right now and they tend to go quick. You should be able to get lots of advice here to enable you to make the right decision.

Maybe there are more puppies available around end of July as people don't tend to get a puppy around that time if they have a summer holiday planned.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Embee, going to look at some at syml's tomorrow. She has 2 ready now , but not the right time for us am afraid. Hoping to get lots of advice and tips on here

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks Embee, going to look at some at syml's tomorrow. She has 2 ready now , but not the right time for us am afraid. Hoping to get lots of advice and tips on here
Good to start looking at breeders even if you're not taking one of the puppies they have available. If you know that you definately don't want one till end July do not take your cheque book or any money - you'll be soooo tempted!!!

There's some interesting stuff on this thread including tips on what to look for when visiting a breeder http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=1592&highlight=breeders

·
Registered
606 Posts
I also work in a school and we got both our dogs towards the end of summer hols - I did have my grown up son at home sometimes as he worked different shifts, and for the first few wks my mother in law came round when there was no one home for the whole day.
We didn't have any issues and by the Oct half term they were house trained !
We didn't have 2 at the same time, Rascal was first, he was 8 wks when he came home and Scamp arrived the next year, he was only 7 wks as his mum didn't want anything to do with the pups any more ! :(

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I also work in a school, albeit only 2 days a week, but I think it would be manageable for you, especially as you come at lunchtime and could do a walk then (and then perhaps a longer walk after school).

Dogs are pretty adaptable, and if you wanted, maybe someone could pop in and let her out in the garden during the morning when she is little.

We got our dog mid-August as soon as we were back from hols so were around full time for a few weeks before school started in September.

Timing will be a big consideration when choosing a pup. Good luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts