I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have four orphaned toy cockerpoos, each one a different colour and totally different from each other. i have two boys and two girls that im hand rearing. They seem to be thriving and getting bigger and stronger by the day !!

Unfortunately and tragically we lost their mum, my beautiful cocker spaniel due to complications after a c section. although i was totally devastated, hand rearing these puppies have somewhat helped me to cope with the loss of my best friend.

My cocker was the most soppy, loving, loyal dog i could have hoped for and i will now keep one of her puppies. What id like advice on is the following :-

ive always had dogs but i have always had bitches. i want a dog that is totally soft and cuddly and will be a real close companion, but i have never had a male dog before. I really cant choose between the pups as they are all so beautiful in their own way, so i would like to hear from people that have both boy and girl cockerpoos and any experience they have in the different natures of the different sexes??? is there a noticable difference between the nature of a boy or girl cockerpoo ???

Any advice would be gratefully received as at this rate i will end up keeping all four !!!

Many thanks - Nicky

·
Registered
175 Posts
I dont have a boy and girl (just my lovely boy Bobby) so can't give you the info that you are looking for, but just wanted to say 'well done' on looking after the pups after such a traumatic event.

Hope it all goes well for you :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mum, the two hour night feeds are a killer, but to see the progress they are making and the legacy my gorgeous cocker left behind makes it all worthwhile. Still have my emotional moments when the tears dont stop because i miss my dog so so much, but the gorgeous little puppies take the edge off the pain.

:)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi Nicky.

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your beautiful Cocker. You must be feeling so sad and also exhausted with hand rearing the puppies. You must be doing a fantastic job so a big well done. How old are the puppies?

I have Daisy a bitch and couldn't ask for a more soppy dog but I am sure there are lots of males out there who are just the same. I am sure as the puppies develop their personalities will become more apparent and that might make it easier?

Sending hugs. x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss but lovely to hear that the pups are all getting on well.

Like others, i've just got the one cockapoo and whilst she isn't always cuddly and likes her independence she has her cuddly moments (especially in the morning!).

Shirley (M&M'sMummy) Has one of each so she'll be a good person for advice on the difference between boys and girls. JoJo also had girls and a boy so am sure she can offer a view too.

x

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gosh....what a sad story, but a huge well done to you for taking over as mum. It sounds like your doing a marvellous job & I'm sure your beloved doggie is looking down on you. I have two female Cockapoo's aged 18mths & 8mths there both very different but both loving in their different ways, and I'm sure boys like children would be equally as loving. Not sure where you live but if I were nearby I'd help you out as much as I could. Sending you and your little bundles a huge hug :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i am so sorry to hear about your poor girl, how old was she, was this her first litter.

i think when it comes to picking to one for you to keep you will know that as they get older, their will be one that you will bond with more than the others.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
So sorry to hear you lost your girl :( After always having female dogs I now have a male dog and I have to say he is the most loyal and loving dog I've ever known and we have a very strong bond. However, I think Kendal's advice is sound. As the weeks go by you will find you will bond with one more than the others and I think that will be the one for you. Good luck in the rest of the hand rearing process.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had a lot of dogs in my day (all different breeds), and I totally prefer males for their cuddliness. My cockapoo, Rosie, likes to be right next to me all the time, but she doesn't really enjoy cuddling. Potsie, my male minipoo, would love to be held, hugged, and kissed 24/7, as have most of my previous male dogs. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, i think i will just have to be patient and see if i bond with any particular puppy more than the others. I have heard that boys are more loving and girls like the cuddles on their terms ! lol ........ i have a little ginger and white girl puppy whom i find totally irresistable but i will try and keep an open mind until they are a bit older !

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Oh am so very sorry to read about the loss of mum :(:(

Glad the pupsters are doing well and you must be doing a grand job.

I don't think it's so much that the *** of the puppy makes a real difference in terms of affection etc... think it's more down to the dogs personality etc.....

Monty my boy cockapoo is a big softie but only cuddles on his terms- but is really sensitive. You can pick him up though and carry him like a baby etc....

Milly my cavapoo girl is a mummy girl and a velcro dog whom is glued to my side. To be honest she is a jealous girl and if Monty wants a cuddle she scares him off!!! she loves cuddles but dosent' like being picked up much. She is more fiery than him too.

Just go with the puppy you are most drawn to- whether a girl or boy you won't be disappointed all cockapoos are equally as lovely :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Cocker.. this must be truly awful for you .. I am so sad for you.

You sound like you are doing a great job with her pups ... well done

As for picking a puppy ... each dog is different ... ***, breed, mix there really is not stereotypical type .. they are just all different ... choose a pup you like the energy level and character off .. which will become clearer as they develop ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.