I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All , We have a 13week old cockapoo Millie and was just wondering if you have some advice for us. we have not had a dog before Millie is just a gorgeous puppy we were told she was apricot colour but think maybe she is classed as red (And sorry still not got any photos on hear still working on that) She is fab on a night sleeping goes in her crate fine and sleeps well. she is just baffling us with her toilet training take her out lots and she does her buisness outside but still we have wees inside how many wees do they have lol ? hoping this will be less frequent soon . We have some pads in the house too but she will go on them sometimes other times goes elsewhere. another thing we are having problems with is this biting which i know puppys do We were told to make a fist and tell her no it has helped a bit but she does this when she is playing mostly. Sometimes she growls too when something isent maybe going her way! Is she just challenging us? She is so loving most of the time but i must admit it is hard at times maybe it is me as i am quite strict with her and want too much from her maybe think i am like this as my husband wasent too keen on the idea of a dog but the kids and i won him round just hope we have done the right thing. We are starting training next week so hopefully this will help. would be grateful of any advice thanks :confused:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hi, Izzy is now 10 months old - there is light at the end of the tunnel! I had a horrid first two months with her, she bit me all the time and was very difficult to house train - the biting stoped eventually and she is now house trained. Like your pup, Izzy was amazing when she wasn't biting,she was loving, cuddly, playful etc Standing up, arms crossed and ignoring her helped with the biting, also putting her out of the room for a couple of minutes every time she did it. The vet said 'puppies bite', give her things to chew - didn't really help and I was walking round with bleeding arms all the time!

The house training just took a long time, consistency and persistence is what is needed. Millie will be truly wonderful very soon - good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you so much for your advice glad to hear i am not on my own what age was she when she got better ? and thanks again Lynne

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Mable has nt really been a biter but Wilf was I can remember being like you a little concerned thinking Id got a dominant pup ... but like your vets says pups are just going to chew. With both of them I just gave them toys to chew and sqeeled if they really caught me. However thinking about Mable probably did nt bite us cos she was too busy biting Wilf, hanging off his ears or his collar. Mable mouths you with excitement when she greets you ... when you've been gone 10mins. The wee's do get less frequent although I found this bit hard cos then you get a liitle complacent .. or if you've got a greedy Mable "oh she's at the loung door she must want to go out " Ha ha she wants to go in the kitchen, then the time you dont let her out she wees infront of the door .. it s a joy x

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply it is so confusing when does this weeing lark get less frequent! it is so frustrating.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Ahhhhh Millie is a very young puppy trying in all sorts of ways to work out how to interact with her human family and what the rules are - she'll get there.

If she wees/poos indoors make sure you clear up then spray with something to take away the scent so she doesn't return to the same spot. I used 'Get Off' spray. I used puppy pads indoors as it was January when we brought Flo home - I know a feeble excuse. I encouraged her to use them by always pressing the new pad lightly on a used one so she could smell that is was the right place to go.

Flo used to bite and growl a lot and she was my first dog and my immediate thought was "oh no I've got an aggressive dominant dog who is challenging me". That's not right at all she is simply using a whole range of ways she can act and communicate as she tries to work out what to do. When she growls look to see if she is play bowing or going down on her front legs - if she is she just wants to play and that's what she would be doing with other puppies. Get a toy, call her over and play when she stops growling, if she keeps growling get up and walk away. If she growls and is not play bowing and tail isn't wagging and is lowered something could be scaring her.

Mouthing and biting is completely natural. See this link which explains and gives ways to help your puppy learn to inhibit her bite. http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mandy thank you so much for your reply and the article was brilliant hopefully this will all stop soon Thanks again Lynne

·
Registered
818 Posts
Have you got a crate or x-pen? After she goes outside, you do want to give her freedom in the house for a while, but then I think she should be confined in a small area with a pad, toys, and a crate or tethered (leashed to you, like clipped onto your jeans) so that she can't leave your sight.

Biting is normal. Annoying, but normal sadly. Working on teaching her bite inhabitation like Mandy posted will help, but it'll take time. Have lots of stuffies around, and when she's really worked up temp her into a rough and tumble tugofwar game to help tire her out too, a tired dog is less mouthy.

Also, I'd advise you to get all (or at least 5- 10 lol) of the training books in your local liberty. Some of them still advise harsh methods, so by getting a few books you can find a few that use positive methods. This being your first dog, please read everything you can get your hands on!

Here are some good things to look into:
http://flyingdogpress.com/content/category/4/13/97/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU and anything else by kikopup.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome, and I cannot wait to see some pictures!

Using a kennel is VERY effective. You will see that when you go out for a short period or time or a long period of time Cockapoo's get anxious because they are very emotional and clingy, so using a kennel is very smart in my opinion. Not only is it used to make sure your puppy does not chew on anything but it also makes you feel secure knowing that he / she cannot hurt themselves while you are gone. I am a firm kennel user. Axle sleeps in it at night, and I do not have to put him in it. He puts himself to bed everynight. It's more of a "den" to him then a kennel. Its a place of peace for him. When I go food shopping or anything like that, Axle is in the kennel as well. I keep it in the same spot that he sleeps at night so when he goes in there he will just lay down and go to sleep.

Axle is almost 10 months now (he will be 10 months on the 16th) and he still bites. Not painful and not to hurt but he likes to nibble on you. I agree with Enneirda, get some chew toys and have them handy and redirect the biting to a toy. Most of the time, when Axle bites it to get your attention and say HEY I WANNA PLAY! lol :)

As far as potty training. It took Axle a good 6 months to not have accidents in the house. I took him to his wee spot every 2 hours and LOTS of praise when he did go. Speaking of this, he did have a little accident the otehr day. :( First one in a loooong time, and when he had an accident he ran to the door and let me know he had to go out so I dont think it was on purpose. Remember, even when they are potty trained an accident is an accident and they do and will happen. :)

I can assure you that things will get better! Cockapoos are wonderful dogs! I have had big dogs my whole life and Axle is by far my MOST fav breed now.

Good luck! I hope this helps! And, dont give up!!! They try to be the boss until you tell them NO! :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for your reply, think we are getting there and it also helps with the good weather we are having at the moment . She starts training on wednesday so that should be fun . Millie can sit and give a paw and also down too so she is not doing bad.
Thanks again Lynne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts