I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So... Since we brought Poppy home this past few weeks, Izzie has started being a bit more aggressive... It's getting worrying, she will just play fight with Poppy fine, BUT when it comes to some toys (not very often) & some food she has started snapping & growling :(

Basically is we have packets of crisps or something we have always let her have the packets to lick out afterwards, if Poppy go over she growls, so I say 'right Izzie you're not having it if you can't be nice' & if I go to get it off he (again not always - but a couple of times the last few days) she has snapped at me :(

She has never been like this before, so i'm worried, does anyone have any advice that could help? :/ I don't want her to start being aggressive :(

Thanks.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Laura, I guess she has been spayed? Suspect the introduction of Poppy has upset her place in 'the pack' Do you always feed her first etc? I recommend Ceaser Millan 'How to raise the perfect dog'. He explains very well how to deal with aggression. As an aside personally I wouldn't let either of them lick crisp packets as chrisps VERY high in salt which probably won't do their bodys fluid balance a lot of good. Shame coz I love crisps!
'

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
laura

i dont have a clue because i am very new to dogs but i have noticed on here how kind you are to others so i hope someone will give you some good ideas. Lucy x
Thank you so much Lucy :) That's really nice x

Hi Laura, I guess she has been spayed? Suspect the introduction of Poppy has upset her place in 'the pack' Do you always feed her first etc? I recommend Ceaser Millan 'How to raise the perfect dog'. He explains very well how to deal with aggression. As an aside personally I wouldn't let either of them lick crisp packets as chrisps VERY high in salt which probably won't do their bodys fluid balance a lot of good. Shame coz I love crisps!
'
Hi, yes she has been spayed, & I do understand it may have affected her been 'the queen bee' :/ Tbh we don't have to feed her first because she isn't a massive eater, we wait until she goes in & looks up at the worktop for her food because when we just put it down she generally doesn't eat it & then Poppy tries to eat it. (she doesn't have any aggression with her own dog food, just treats like chicken & things like trying to lick plates etc if Poppy seems to be trying to get to them). I know what you mean about the crisp packets, tbh we should just stop Izzie doing all the things she has always done, but we didn't want to do it as Poppy came home as we thought she would associate Poppy with the bad things like not being able to do it... I will look into the book, thank you veyr much :) If not we may have to look into behaviourists or something if she gets worse & more often. I also don't feel like she's as happy as she was before, it might just be that cockapoos have a 'sad' look to their face, but i'm not sure what she thinks to Poppy coming home :/ Thanks for your help :)

· Registered
1,269 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about how Izzy 'feels' about Poppy she won't make the connection that it is Poppy's fault if things change. As far as I know dogs (or any other animals) don't apportion blame that is a human characteristic! Good luck.

· Registered
695 Posts
Hi Laura:)

I have watched your Tricks on YouTube:cool: so I am sure you are capable in teaching Izzie the 'leave' command if you can crack this your troubles on taking things from her will get much easier;)

I agree with an earlier post Crisp Packets:( I would give her a healthy dog treat while you munch on your less healthy crisps:)

Izzie will be defensive of her feed/toys with regards to Poppy. Poppy needs to learn doggy social graces from Izzie and she will!!! you just need to monitor and step in if it gets a little out of hand;) that's when if you've been working on the 'leave' you will see good result's:cool:

Mick:)

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mick, I will start working on the 'leave' it was never something she seemed to pick up like the other things though, so it may take some time :/ I don't like to think that getting another dog when it was mainly for her benefit of a friend to play with is making her change her personality with everything :/

· Registered
416 Posts
Hey Laura, I know i don't really know much about about dogs but you always try and help others on here. Sounds to me like Izzie just doesn't want to share her high value items so you'll just have to have two bags of crisps and give them one each Ha ha :D

· Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,183 Posts
Hi Laura,
Try not to worry, this is just a blip for Izzie. She is a good dog and she will learn to get used to having to share with Poppy. Some things just take time and lots of patience.

I think working on the Leave command is good advice and when you do give her a treat always make sure she knows you can take it away on your say so. When I give Obi a raw bone I will often take it back and then later give it back to him again just to remind him who is boss. ;)

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Laura, I know i don't really know much about about dogs but you always try and help others on here. Sounds to me like Izzie just doesn't want to share her high value items so you'll just have to have two bags of crisps and give them one each Ha ha :D
Haha I know what you're saying, just the only thing is (like with kids) they always want what the other has! So even if she had one & Poppy had the other she would want the one Poppy had as well, it's quite ridiculous, the amount of chews we have in the house yet they always end up growling at each other for the same one! I've certainly had a testing exhausting weekend with them both to look after myself! I will stop letting Izzie have any extra now & try to make her okay with us giving Poppy chicken (which may be difficult). Just hope this isn't going to turn out to be a problem :/ Thanks for your reply :)

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Laura,
Try not to worry, this is just a blip for Izzie. She is a good dog and she will learn to get used to having to share with Poppy. Some things just take time and lots of patience.

I think working on the Leave command is good advice and when you do give her a treat always make sure she knows you can take it away on your say so. When I give Obi a raw bone I will often take it back and then later give it back to him again just to remind him who is boss. ;)
Hi Clare :)

I hope it is just a blip! She is a great dog & so good with playing with other dogs! Just she doesn't seem to want to share any special foods (doesn't care about her dog food at all)

I will definitely be giving the 'leave' a go & try taking things away & treating etc. Thanks Clare :)

· Registered
637 Posts
Hi Laura - we've had similar behaviour from Ruby after the arrival of Pepper - and when she has snapped at me I make it very clear that that isn't allowed and she hasn't done it for a while now.

They still have their moments but the little one still likes to hang around (and annoy) her big sis, and most of the time Ruby is fine with it, so it all sounds normal to me.

Ian

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Laura - we've had similar behaviour from Ruby after the arrival of Pepper - and when she has snapped at me I make it very clear that that isn't allowed and she hasn't done it for a while now.

They still have their moments but the little one still likes to hang around (and annoy) her big sis, and most of the time Ruby is fine with it, so it all sounds normal to me.

Ian
I'm so glad someone else has had similar experiences! I was worried because most people with more than one seem to say how positive it is & i've not seen much negative, so thanks for sharing! I have made it clear that is isn't allowed & will continue to do so if she does it again, will also have to teach her 'leave' if I can :/ I'm glad it sounds normal & I hope she gets used to it soon. How is Ruby with you giving Pepper some of Ruby's favourite treats?

· Registered
637 Posts
To be honest she's very accepting considering the upheaval she has experienced. I'm sure Izzie is too, just sometimes the little ones get too much - like how I used to annoy my big brother!

We now love Roobs more than ever as we realise what a good girl she is and how tolerant she is most of the time.

We also have 'keep Ruby special' time - this generally involves me taking her to the pub with me. :)

But seriously, we make sure we fuss Ruby a lot, as I'm sure you do with Izzie, because Pepper gets so much attention.

They'll be fine, I'm sure!

I

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Ian :/ We definitely fuss over Izzie a lot! Although half of the time she doesn't seem like she's bothered that we are.

She also has this little thing were if Poppy comes & lays with her touching her she grumbles & moves away :/ Not sure why because Poppy doesn't do anything to her. That's not a problem though obviously, just strange.

Thanks for your advice & help :)

· Registered
1,862 Posts
I'm so glad someone else has had similar experiences! I was worried because most people with more than one seem to say how positive it is & i've not seen much negative, so thanks for sharing! I have made it clear that is isn't allowed & will continue to do so if she does it again, will also have to teach her 'leave' if I can :/ I'm glad it sounds normal & I hope she gets used to it soon. How is Ruby with you giving Pepper some of Ruby's favourite treats?
When Betty was at puppy classes they taught the leave command by having frankfurter sausage in your hand (in a closed fist), let the dog sniff and say leave. Give them a treat from your other hand when she stops sniffing. When she will leave your hand when you say leave, do the same with an open hand saying leave and giving a treat from the other hand when they back off and then eventually put the treat on the floor. Betty now almost physically recoils from a treat on the floor if i say leave. This was fairly easy to teach to Betty and whilst i don't use it much now it is something I do work on as when we are out walking if she picks things up and I say leave she will usually leave them.

I know what you mean about dogs always wanting what the other has as when Betty was little abd i used to have my friends puppy Banger (a mini dachshund) over, even if i gave them identical chews, they always wanted the others treat!!!!

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Jules :) I will definitely give that a go :D It really needs to stop does her behaviour with certain things.
& with wanting what the other has, there's nothing you can really do, but that isn't usually the problem with toys (except one toy shoe that Izzie loves) other than that generally they just growl & steal them off each other & run off then the other chases etc.
What a weekend i've had with them!

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Sounds like you are exhausted. I'm just waiting for my parents to drop Betty back off here as she's been with them for a week (they hadn't seen her in a month and love having her and as i was on a course for work it was easier for me too). Can't wait to get her back!!! I've really missed her.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like you've had a nce relaxing weekend though! The one thing I will say is they have let me sleep in a bit! But been buggers through the day always play fighting & making noise so I can't hear the tv or anything, be nice to have a bit of peace & quiet at the boyfriends for a couple of nights now haha :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.