I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Allergic to my cockerpoo

31K views 91 replies 30 participants last post by  lumbistracy 
#1 ·
Hi name is Ceri and i have a 5month old cockapoo called Pip/Poppy.

I researched for 6 weeks before getting her as 2 of my kids have asthma and thought she would be the perfect choice for us....

Unfortunately I am the one who is suffering, i can't take a deep breath and am on antihistamines Cetrizine Dihydrochloride 10mg, i have tried Piriton also but didnt work, my GP is a bit USELESS as im breastfeeding my baby and my GP wont really give me advice on antihistamines.

Its been 4 weeks since we got Pip and my Husband is totally in Love with her as am I, but i cant breath properly and am in a dilema as to what's my next move??

The breeder has said we can take her back to them (but my husband isnt keen) I feel terrible as we all love her but i cant carry on with my allergy, any advice would be great.
yours sincerly Ceri

#2 ·
you poor thing!!! What a hard thing to deal with. Is hubby just reluctant to give her up or just doesn't want her to go back to breeder? How old is your lovely baby? Is it something you feel may improve once you stop breast feeding? You can always ask for a second opinion with another dr?

#6 ·
What cross is she and who is the breeder, what is her coat looking like? I feel so sorry for you as I'm allergic to most dogs... However much you love her you cannot be Ill everyday.... Is the certirizine helping a bit or not really?

I urge anyone who is reading this who has a dog allergy to spend an hour in a confined space with first a puppy and then an adult dog before they buy....

#7 ·
sometimes it is the pupp coat people are alergic too and they are fine when the dog is older.

have you tried bathing her to see if its maybe something in her coat.

cockapoos are not guarenteed to be hypoalagenic, some people can even take a reaction the poodles and bichons.

what kind of coat has the pup got, is it strate or wavy. what generation is the pup.

#8 ·
I have bathed her with hypoallergenic puppy shampoo, her coat is wavy and her mum was a golden cocker spaniel and her father a white miniature poodle, I assume she is 1st generation? the pedigree of her parents go back 3 generations. She does scratch and bite at her skin occasionaly , however she has been treated with spot on and spray. do you think a good trim may be in order.

#9 ·
Sounds like any normal F1 cockapoo to me, some are more cocker spaniely than others, but if she is wavy then she sounds like she has the cockapoo coat. It's strange that it affects you so badly but doesn't affect others with allergies at all :/ As someone else mentioned, could it be worse because you are breastfeeding atm?
I hope the problem can be solved for you as it would be awful to have to give her back :(

#10 ·
I really feel for you as a fellow allergy sufferer. :(

I have always been allergic to animals but when I was in my early twenties still stubbornly went and got a cat...and then another! I only have one now and although I have definitely built up some immunity to him I have no doubt that if I didn't have him I would not have days where I just sneeze and sneeze and look like rudolf! :( He is 14 now and still going strong! :)

I don't think I am allergic to Daisy as I have no reaction like itchy eyes or asthma but then again I take two inhalers everyday plus an allergy tablet (either the one you mentioned or loratdine) so I guess there is no way of knowing for definite. :rolleyes:

When I was pregnant and I felt bad I did take piriton but I find it a bit useless.

Do you get asthma? If you can't breath then surely you should be taking an inhaler not just antihistamines? What you are taking wont touch your breathing if my experience is anything to go by.

I hate to sound cold about it but you have two choices, either take the puppy back which I understand will be a really horrible decision to make, or keep her and be prepared to put up with always taking medication. I have always taken my inhalers when pregnant and breast feeding so I would maybe ask to see a different doctor to discuss the possibility of something.

#11 ·
My son has a severe allergy to dogs and horses!
We spent a long time at the breeders with my son [he was fine] and took Treacle knowing that she could be returned to the breeder.
After 2 weeks of asthma free - we thought we were fine and dandy - but then he started wheezing.
We were devastated - convinced our beautiful puppy would have to go back and went to the GP to see if anything could be done. He suggested we look at other environmental factors and if symptoms remained to go and have a full allergy test.
Crying on a friends shoulder - she cleverly analysed the situation - he was playing with Treacle at that moment with no wheezing - so when did he have asthma? I then noticed it was when he was playing on the stairs [Treacle had not been upstairs at all] - the hall landing and stairs had been painted one week after Treacles' arrival and it was the eggshell on the staircase that caused the reaction.
It was not allergy to our lovely puppy after all!
I dont want to give you false hope but could there be some other factor? Could you see a different GP and get an allergy test?

I do hope so because i really feel for you - I was devastated that our puppy would have to go back and know how you all must be feeling x

#13 ·
Im on Becotide 2 morning 2 night and ventolin, i wasnt using using ventolin often until we got pip :(

Its such a hard choice as we went for a walk up Aber falls in North Wales today and i really struggled...

Its my husband who is making it hard for me, if i had my choice i would regretfully rehome her. I know i sound cold but i have cried today thinking about my options..

#18 ·
Oh dear, that is so hard for you. I can understand all sides. I know I may be the only one to say this but I think if you feel that you can't live with your allergies being this bad then the puppy needs to go back. I have spent the last fourteen years trying to find ways of making my allergies better and I have to remember to wash my hands everytime I stroke my cat. My allergies are under control though 90% of the time (I forgot I also take flixonase!) but I would love not to have to take all of the medication that I need to do this. You could wait and see if you build up an immunity but I think it would be an idea to set yourself a time limit and see how things improve.

I wish there was a magic answer :) good luck with whatever you decide to do. xxx

#16 ·
I keep getting laughed at because I have allergies to animal hair (my face swelled up once when I cuddled a big fluffy cat!!) but still got a dog.

When we first got Vincent I was forever sneezing and my nose was red a lot :( But the older he has gotten the better it is. I still am not great, if I spend the entire day with him in the house I am much worse and have to have a break to get some fresh air. Although he is low shedding I got a much better vacuum cleaner which really has helped pick up any stray hair.

My advice is to try and limit your direct exposure to your pup, try not to pick him up close to your face. Also if you have had a cuddle maybe change your top - I have a Vincent cuddle top that I can take off easily after love :)
Also, as annoying as it is, try and hoover more than normal, and maybe have a window open (unless you're allergic to pollen too :eek:)

It would break my heart if I had to give Vincent up so I know how you must feel. Many hugs to you!

#17 ·
Hi, really sorry to hear how much you're suffering. And so unusual too. My mum is badly allergic to dogs but loves them so a few months ago got a golden retriever puppy. Why I never know - they are the worst!! She really really struggled and upped her inhalers etc to the max & then 'just put up with it'. After a few months her body adjusted and she has now lowered her dosage to what it was before. So I'm not sure if this helps but what I'm trying to say is that if you really don't want to part with her then don't, not yet. Give it time for your body to adjust. It may take longer as you're breast feeding but you never know unless you try... Good luck x

#19 ·
I'm sorry to hear you are suffering, we've only had Gaia three and half weeks, but I would find it very difficult to give her up.

Being a Bowen Therapist I do tend to go on about the Technique, but both it and I have had great results with Asthma and Hayfever allergies, have you considered trying an alternative therapy? Acupunture might also offer help. :)

#22 · (Edited)
Hi - I have allergies too, worst reaction is cats, but bad with normal dogs too. I have a suggestion, sounds mad, works for me with cats, but you must chehck with your doctor first because of the breastfeeding, but there is a light therapy - you stick these probes up your nose for a couple of minutes and it somehow helps. I've used this to stay at a friends house who has 2 cats, and it was better than Beconase, which is what I use for hayfever.

They're not expensive, I've recommended it to lots of people and it works for them too.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/allergy-reliever-15677

When I bought mine it was £15 - but at £40 its still a bargain (if it works for you) and worth a try.

Good luck
Ian

#23 ·
Hi there sorry to hear about your allergies.when i got my first cockapoo 7 years ago my daughter who was 12 at the time had severe allergies and asthma.when we got kd my daughter along with antihistamines went on an immunitherapy course recommended by a local health shop,the man who runs the store explained it all to us about allergies and your immune system,im no expert but this guy really knew what he was talking about and it worked for my daughter.it was a combination of 2 types of tablets and vitamen c powder,i can find out tommorrow for you and also if its suitable for breastfeeding.my daughter took the immunitherapy course plus the antihistamine for a couple of months at least and prior to this was allergic to all dogs even bichons although now age 19 is around most dogs with no problems( e have 8 dogs 3 cats and a rabbit now!)there is also a lotion for allergy sufferers that can be wiped over the dogs coat to remove dander that normally triggers allergies,its called petal cleanse i think and i also still have an air purifier i bought from argos the make is a filtrete and its wonderful,sucks all the dander,dust etc out of the air so youre not breathing it in.i will be keeping everything crossed for you and ill get the names of the immunitherapy tablets for you xxxx

#24 ·
I am not sure if I understand your post but have you actually been to the GP because of this problem, and if so has he/she done any investigations to find out the cause of the breathlessness?

I would have thought that any GP worth their salt would have done something (physical exam, x-rays if necessary etc) whereas you just seem to be taking over the counter antihistimines.

I would recommend that you need to go back to your GP, make sure he/she examines you.

You don't mention that you have had breathing problems before, or are a diagnosed asthmatic, so this is a new thing. While it is likely that your puppy is the cause, it could be other things and a definitive diagnosis needs to be made.

#25 ·
I am asthmatic, currently on a preventor and ventolin inhaler since about 2 years, I am allergic to cats, and guinea pigs. I have been to gp, and a locam gave me cetrizine dihydrochloride, they worked for a week then my chest got tight again. I have been to see a gp on monday and she said that I have tried an antihistamine and I need to think of the dog situation! Whent to see a gp today and she said she could not give me anything or even advice me on any antihistamine as I am breastfeeding and no antihistamine is licensed if your breastfeeding, so not much help!

#26 ·
Hi Ceriwyn
Just read through your posts. So sorry this is happening to you. I;m an asthmatic, allerigic to cats, dogs, horses etc. Touch wood, Millie has proved the exception to the rule for me.

Just wanted to say that there are many different makes on the market for treating asthma. I no longer user Becotide. I was swapped on to Seretide a few years ago and that worked better (in the days of owning cats and suffering). Find a sympathetic doctor and talk about all the option available.

:D

#28 ·
forgot to say the immunitherapy course consisted of pantothenic acid 550mg immunace immunitherapy tablets and powdered vitamen c if you go to your local health shop they will hopefully be able to give you some advice but allergies are connected to the immune system and it helped my daughter fulfil a dream and get a puppy....and another....and another lol

#29 · (Edited)
Hi there i really feel for you,what a nightmare! Maybe look into a neti pot,they are nice and natural and might be worth a go,and their cheap too:) Maybe its the hormonal changes with breastfeeding that is making it worst,i havent got any allergies but developed rhinitus with my middle sons pregnancy and sneezed my way through :D Good luck and i hope your trip to the docs is a good one x

Oh sorry just seen you have already been to doctors with no result! .....there must be some help for you out there x Good luck