I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new to the site having bought a gorgeous cockapoo puppy who has been with us for 2 weeks now and doing brilliantly. But in the last 4 days I have started suffering from itchy, tingly, puffy eyes and a tight chest even though I am on fexofenadine 180 each day. I grew up with dogs but became allergic to some types of dog - golden retriever, Labradors etc so have done a lot of research into a dog that is less allergenic and spent a week with a cockapoo without any problems. I am really concerned as would hate to give the pup up and would be interested to know if others have experienced this and overcome it with time? Also wondered how long it typically lasts if you can overcome it. I have wooden floors and am washing milo twice a week and regularly hoovering but to no avail. Any advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Poor, poor you, it sounds stressful to say the least, which of course will only exacerbate the allergy. I am allergic to cats and live with four of them. I manage by never touching them, never picking them up and washing my hands and face often when I feel itchy and popping an allergy med when things get over the top. The problem with using that technique with a cockapoo will be that they love cuddling and are the most affectionate dogs around.

Is the puppy yours alone or do you share him with others who can do the cuddling? If you share him I'd say you will be able to manage. If he is yours alone I think rehoming him might be a more humane option for him.:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 3 kids and a husband so lots of cuddles! I'm just wondering whether I will eventually get sensitised to him and symptoms settle to a manageable level....have others had allergic reactions at the beginning which have reduced with time?

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I got my first Cockapoo due to my own allergies, I didn't show any signs or symptoms , however my daughter did, even though she'd never had any allergic reactions prior. Like you I was worried but her symptoms only lasted a couple of weeks and she was fine afterwards, thank goodness.
I know a member on here who had an allergic reaction to her third Cockapoo, she had to take antihistamines for a few weeks but was then fine.
Good luck , I hope your symptoms ease and you can enjoy your poo xx

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
It might be worth investing in a small air purifying machine. I am allergic to cats and visited a friend. Started in with the sneezing and itching within a couple of mins. Svhe put her machine on and all symptoms disappeared. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your positive messages...much appreciated. Any other allergy overcoming stories or tips to manage allergies gratefully received!

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I think that Woo with Noodle posted a lot about how she managed her partners allergic reaction to Noodle. I'm sure that she got an air purifier too and also they found that her partner reacted to Noodle's saliva. I think that for a while he used rubber gloves if handling her and they also had hand wash everywhere.
Woo also prepared the garden shed for her partner to live in if things didn't work out :p but thankfully for them the things they put in place made all the difference and Noodle is a much loved and cuddled pet :)
Try using the search feature to find relevant threads.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Yes it was Woo with noodle, have looked back and not been able to find the thread, but I do know her husband was pretty bad and they were worried but determined to keep noodle, and things did improve a huge amount. Maybe sometime else will be able to find the thread.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You may want to try a Benadryl at night too the fexofenadine may help you with your usual nasal allergies but not for the puppy dander. Maybe your husband can also brush the puppy outside or garage so you don't have loose hair flying around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My partner started suffering with a tight chest, stuffy nose and headaches when we first got Tilly (he is very allergic to cats but less so with dogs).

We got an air purifier (I think we paid around £90 for it) and his symptoms improved within a matter of hours! It takes any hair, dander and dust out of the air.

For the first few weeks we had it on for a few hours a day, we gradually reduced this and now never have it on.

I hope you get sorted, good luck! X

·
Registered
484 Posts
It gets better, promised!!! Get the antihistamines and it wii improve. Soon you will only have to take them very occasionally .

I am very allergic to dogs. It took me about a month to get used to the exposure. I now have two dogs and I wash them and cut their hair myself. Washing still gives me rushes in the arms but it is not huge ad it was before.

Don't despair.

When I go to the training club ,I can only stay for one hour as the smell of all the dogs that have been during the day makes me very sick. I have to use my inhaler a few times. But the most important thing is that at home and with them, I'm just perfectly well.

Chin up, you will overcome it, promised. :)

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
I used to be really allergic to cats. It was a very bad allergy, lips used to swell too! I decided I wanted a cat and had the plan that my mum would rehome if I couldn't get over my allergy. It started off really badly, but I stuck at it and when I noticed the symptoms lessen within a few weeks, I weaned down my antihistamine over 8 weeks. Now I'm absolutely fine with my own cat. No allergy to the dogs at all. I am however allergic to other people's animals - not to same extent as before though, a simple antihistamine sorts it out! Weird.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks for these replies - they are a great boost to me when I'm full of wheezing! Ruth - how bad were your initial symptoms to your cat - did you wheeze too with puffy eyes? It's just the wheezing I am concerned about as I'm not asthmatic. I understand allergies can go one of two ways with constant exposure...and clearly hope mine will diminish!

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Yep, I had the lot. I used to be really awful with cats, rabbits, hamsters, dogs, horses... The lot - the latter animals didn't matter so much as I was very seldom in contact with them but I was a little girl who loved cats. Swollen eyes, lips, red nose, itchy ears, eyes and roof of mouth, audible wheeze, histamine welts (white raised lumps) on my skin if it touched an animal. It was awful.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Everyone is different, but I overcame my allergy to cats and dogs. I grew up around cats and dogs and various other pets, and never had a problem until we no longer had pets in our home. Then all of a sudden being around my friends dog made my face itchy, and if I so much as touched my eyes, they became itchy, puffy, red and swollen. I learned that I could not touch my face whatsoever, and to wash my hands frequently. My allergies only got worse. I couldn't even visit someone's house who had cats or dogs, or I would suffer terribly. Constantly had tissues to my nose and my face and eyes would swell all up. Taking an antihistamine before visiting only did so much, but really felt like not much at all. After several years, I made the decision to get a cute little kitten (don't know what I was thinking at the time). At the time, I suffered terribly again, for about a month. I zipped through my puffers - sometimes I wasn't even sure I could make it to the next dose! I was taking antihistamines as well, and refused to give up, despite the suffering. Looking back, I'd say it was about a month, maybe more, before the allergies started to calm down. And what a good decision getting that kitten was! She is now 13yrs old. Pushing through my allergies with her, helped me around dogs as well. Other cats (and dogs) still irritate me a little more than my cat, but it's tolerable with hand washing. I can't really rub my face in her fur... at least I choose not to, and on occasion if I forget to wash my hands and rub my eye, I'll pay for it. I'm expecting to have an adjustment period with a cockapoo pup, but nothing I can't handle. In fact not too long ago I visited a home with 2 dogs, (one of which had fur that flew everywhere, I had to pull fur out of my mouth!) and only when I left did I realize my face felt a little itchy, but I got over it.

On another note, you said you are washing your pup every 2 weeks. Maybe that is too often? I'm thinking.. if you wash him/her too much, you may dry out his/her skin. Which then could cause dander, and dander is one of the allergens, in addition to saliva. If you were fine for a week, and then the allergies kicked in, was it around the time you had bathed your pup? Just a thought, but maybe give the baths a break for a bit, and see how you do. I would say overcoming an allergy (at least to a pretty comfortable level) is possible, as I (and others) have done it, but I think it depends on the person (as everyone is different), as well as what you are willing to put yourself through to try to achieve overcoming the allergy. Best of luck! I hope it works for you, too, so that you can enjoy some cuddles with your pup!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear you have overcome your allergies. I understand that it can go either way. I am 5 weeks into having Milo now and symptoms still pretty bad although I am controlling it better with antihistamines and puffers. Not sure if it's a bad sign that things haven't started to improve yet though as all the posts indicate approx 2-4 weeks when symptoms improve. Anyone else overcome their allergy to their dog, but taken longer?
Thx so much for your replies - gives me hope!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aw, I do hope your allergies start improving, soon! As the weather warms up and windows can be opened - perhaps that will help. I heard (no idea how true) that the opposite can occur when the puppies get their adult coats in. ie. No allergies in puppy coat but allergies when adult coat comes in and vice versa. Maybe somebody who knows more about that or has experienced that can comment.

I have had puppy home for 3 days now and my allergies are great! I'm not even experiencing slight allergies as I had anticipated, and I'm always holding him and cuddling him, but I guess more time will really tell.

Best of luck to you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts