I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stanley is certainly heading into that teen phase, pushing boundaries. A once beloved puppy who would come when we called is constantly pushing boundaries. Even on walks he's started to pull which he had been slowly trained out of.

It's exhausting and I'm definitely back in that puppy blues phase.
It's so stressful, I can't take him out anywhere with the kids because I'm trying to control him on a leash.
Stop wait treat, pull, stop wait treat.

The lovely phase we went through of her mm wing well behaved, listening etc has cruises by too quickly. I felt like I had it cracked but I've hurtled down the snake and wound up back at the beginning again.

My dog owner friends tell me "don't worry, "it's just a phase" and the worse "hell grow out of it around two years old.

I can't cope with it until he's two, he's not even one yet.

I get good days and bad days. But there's just no joy in walking him or trying to train him at the moment as he's just not listening. He won't really even "paw" unless he knows for sure I have a treat he wants in my hand.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting, hoping I'm not the worst dog mum In the world

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know the struggle!
But to be fair, the main phase of misbehaving does not really last until 2 years of age. A lot of puppies really misbehave and show signs of pubescents until 1 year of age. Of course you will still get more cheeky moments, but with the right training, which you are doing, he will not be this little monster for this long! Hang in there! 2 years is usually when they calm down a bit. They go through phases when they don’t listen at all but they don’t last too long.
If you don’t mind me asking, did you end of neutering Stanley? I know you said you might.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we did, the vet was keen to do it before he turned eight months so I figured it might calm him down a bit. He has stopped humping which is great as it was getting too much. He pretty much wifed anything soft and of the right size.

We get more naughty days then good days at the moment which is why I feel a little deflated. Training often rests on me at the.moment and when he misbehaves I often feel like a failure because it's me whos supposed to be training him.

I'm just feeling really low at the moment

·
Registered
Coco cockapoo 18 weeks
51 Posts
Yes we did, the vet was keen to do it before he turned eight months so I figured it might calm him down a bit. He has stopped humping which is great as it was getting too much. He pretty much wifed anything soft and of the right size.

We get more naughty days then good days at the moment which is why I feel a little deflated. Training often rests on me at the.moment and when he misbehaves I often feel like a failure because it's me whos supposed to be training him.

I'm just feeling really low at the moment
Keep your chin up and just keep doin what your doin honestly all your hard work will pay of ull have a well mannered trained adult dog X I remember feeling exactly the same with Coco just when u think I've cracked it uve got a crackpot cockapoo pulling on the lead wantin to jump on everyone and bite the lead too X but I'm glad to say it's all good now Cocos fantastic on the lead off the lead listens most of the time X don't beat yourself up just keep goin and be patient good luck 😘

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been there too 🤣🤣 they're worse than weans xx
That they are. 🤣

Question, if you have any advice or experience with this .. my one big issue with Stanley, on walks he lunges towards other dogs. Not in an aggressive way, it's just because he wants to meet them and play but it's every single dog.
I've tried making him look at me, waking the other way, walking past with a short leash, we don't meet other dogs why he's on the lead nothing seems to be helping with it.

Have any tips??

·
Registered
Coco cockapoo 18 weeks
51 Posts
That they are. 🤣

Question, if you have any advice or experience with this .. my one big issue with Stanley, on walks he lunges towards other dogs. Not in an aggressive way, it's just because he wants to meet them and play but it's every single dog.
I've tried making him look at me, waking the other way, walking past with a short leash, we don't meet other dogs why he's on the lead nothing seems to be helping with it.

Have any tips??
I've always just let Coco have a wee play with the many dogs we meet but when I feel she's gettin too excited I just ask her to come here n she gets treats X well it's just kibble but it works X I never go a walk without my trainin bag which has worked wonders from the beginnin she walks really well on the lead lookin at me most of the time for treat X if it's a dog I'm not sure of I have her lead shorter n treat as she's goin by X practise in the house n garden n when there are no dogs there n ull have his attention he'll not be interested in anything else or if he's not food motivated maybe a squeeky toy x

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
From the start with pups it really helps if you do not let them meet every dog. Thirds can work well so a third they meet properly, a third they have a very quick hello and then a third they don't even say hello to.

If your pup wants to say hello to every dog you need to take really high value treats and practice them listening to you when other dogs are around. It may well be that dogs passing in the street are far too close at the moment for him to listen so you need to start further away and get his attention when they are a reasonable distance from you. As he gets the skill you can then improve on it so he gets better at walking past other dogs

·
Registered
Shiloh (late-11.2020): Little Lucy Lou, toy poodle
31 Posts
Stanley is certainly heading into that teen phase, pushing boundaries. A once beloved puppy who would come when we called is constantly pushing boundaries. Even on walks he's started to pull which he had been slowly trained out of.

It's exhausting and I'm definitely back in that puppy blues phase.
It's so stressful, I can't take him out anywhere with the kids because I'm trying to control him on a leash.
Stop wait treat, pull, stop wait treat.

The lovely phase we went through of her mm wing well behaved, listening etc has cruises by too quickly. I felt like I had it cracked but I've hurtled down the snake and wound up back at the beginning again.

My dog owner friends tell me "don't worry, "it's just a phase" and the worse "hell grow out of it around two years old.

I can't cope with it until he's two, he's not even one yet.

I get good days and bad days. But there's just no joy in walking him or trying to train him at the moment as he's just not listening. He won't really even "paw" unless he knows for sure I have a treat he wants in my hand.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting, hoping I'm not the worst dog mum In the world
I have found that on occasions, when I would leash some of our bygone hounds, using the "suitcase carry" leash trick was most useful. Dropping your arm to your side, allow only a couple more inches for the leash to reach where it attaches to the hound, and keep your arm at your side. Practice walking doggie for short times at first to acquaint, being quick with positive reassurances and praise for doing what you want. At the end of the day, the other end of the leash has you on it.
Good luck.
🐩--LittleLucyLou 10# no leash hardly eva toy poo, and helluva great pal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I use to call my Labs the response was how quick would you like me to come.
However my cockapoo looks at me, weighs things up then makes her decision.
She will never match up in obedience with Labs
but I absolutely adore her. My dog Lola was just like Stanley, now she barely acknowledges any dogs she doesn’t already know but loves humans and her doggy friends. Guess what I’m saying is persist with it, he’ll be worth it.
You could always give him to me if not, I just love Cockapoos ! 😁

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I use to call my Labs the response was how quick would you like me to come.
but I absolutely adore her. My dog Lola was just like Stanley, now she barely acknowledges any dogs she doesn’t already know but loves humans and her doggy friends. Guess what I’m saying is persist with it, he’ll be worth it.
Haha, for all his naughtiness grates on me at times he is definitely an official family member.
He fits right in with our manic house hold, I couldn't part with him even if I wanted to!! 🤣🤣

Thanks for your words, sometimes people lead you to believe that they're dogs are fully trained and obedient and the puppy years are a breeze which makes me feel 100x worse

It's been a long time since I had a dog, my last being a German shepherd who was the sweetness and easiest dog to train. Stanley is wild, I've never known a dog like him 🤣

·
Registered
Shiloh (late-11.2020): Little Lucy Lou, toy poodle
31 Posts
I suspect she/he leans toward the Cocker Spaniel. I've had several poodles/mixes, and our Shiloh ****-a-poo, surveyed her surroundings the same way. While I prefer the poodle side, Shiloh made me a better photographer. Here she's 14, died several months later from congestive heart failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suspect she/he leans toward the Cocker Spaniel. I've had several poodles/mixes, and our Shiloh ****-a-poo, surveyed her surroundings the same way. While I prefer the poodle side, Shiloh made me a better photographer. Here she's 14, died several months later from congestive heart failure.
I'm sorry for your loss she looks like a beautiful dog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts