I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,872 Posts

Thanks Tasha X

I have tried to ring - and have sent them an e-mail.

Fingers Crossed that he has already found a "Forever Home" otherwise we have an ever increasing list of people interested in older Cockapoos.

I have recently been sent details of Manytears' 8 month old Cockapoo boys (Fly and Flint) and hope to be working with them to find new homes as soon as possible. It's such a shame as these two have been available for some time by the sound of it.

Anyone interested in hearing our results then everything will be announced on the CCGB's website....and sent-out on the monthly 'Poo News newsletter.

Only the other day we were over the moon when we heard back from a gentleman who had "looked-after" a Cockapoo, offered to us for rehoming, last weekend and had subsequently decided to give her that Forever Home. The original owner could no longer keep Marley as she had to go back to work and it was a tough call to make to us - but we ticked all the boxes she wanted for a new owner and they live so close that contact can be kept.

I have set-up a data-base of people looking to offer anything from short-term Foster homes through to long-term foster homes and Forever Homes - so anyone interested then details are on the CCGB's website http://www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk/cockapoo-adoption--rehoming.html As I have mentioned before - we are not looking to put any Cockapoo offered to us to the first person on the list - nor the first to reply - as finding the right home is essential for all concerned.
We are non-judgemental and totally confidential so can be contacted in total faith.

Stephen X

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Woo - You are on my list X
I now have 4 Cockapoos looking for homes - once I have found more info and checked all is still relevant I may well include you in one of the mails I send out soon.

Stephen X

·
Registered
825 Posts
Woo, you could soon be a cockapoo mummy ... I hope you find your perfect pet soon :) worth the wait, as you will love owning a cockapoo xxx
I know JoJo, I so can't wait.

I enquired about a litter today that is due in the middle of May, I asked if the pups parents were DNA tested for PRA and the lady said that they were BVA tested, is that the same thing?

Regards,

Woo

·
Banned
1,872 Posts

I enquired about a litter today that is due in the middle of May, I asked if the pups parents were DNA tested for PRA and the lady said that they were BVA tested, is that the same thing?

Regards,

Woo
Hi Woo - Basically a BVA (in relation to PRA) is a quick check - only relevant to the time and day the check took place - it would show if there was a sign of PRA or if PRA was present - but it would not show if the dog "carried" or was "affected" by PRA - it is an annual test.

If a DNA test is done (Optigen or Labokiln) and the result is "Clear / Normal" then no offspring will be affected.

if the DNA test result is "carrier" then your puppy / dog will not suffer blindness but should not be bred from (unless to a known "Clear" partner).

In reality - always insist on one parent of ANY Cockapoo puppy being DNA CLEAR - it's a simple thing with a huge consequence to your puppies welfare.

In time - responsible breeders will DNA test ALL their Studs and Bitches and everything will be bred "Clear by Parentage" - that is the plan - it's just getting there takes some education, dedication and Public demand too !

Stephen X

·
Registered
8,257 Posts

Regards,

Woo
Hi Woo,

No these tests are not the same, loads of information on my blog about health testing if you fancy a read :)

Basically a BVA test (as explained above) is a yearly examination of the eye, whereas a DNA test shows the genetic testing for prcd-PRA which in my opinion is needed for all breeding dogs.

I would not tell you where to buy a puppy from as that has to be your choice, but I would recommend one parent to be DNA tested clear of prcd-PRA.

I hope this helps :) I am sure you will find your perfect puppy soon, and please feel free to contact me if you need any further help regarding your search.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hi there where was the litter you enquired about? If both bva tested parents are both carriers the pups could be affected even though the parents didnt actually have pra.Having said that the bva test checks for cateracts which doesnt show up in an optigen test so if you can find a breeder that does both even better xxx

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Hi there where was the litter you enquired about? If both bva tested parents are both carriers the pups could be affected even though the parents didnt actually have pra.Having said that the bva test checks for cateracts which doesnt show up in an optigen test so if you can find a breeder that does both even better xxx
I agree totally....but if a breeder states "PRA Clear" is usually only means a BVA test has been done.

If a breeder has had a DNA test done and the results are what they expect (or desire) then they would certainly state "DNA Clear".

An honest and open and totally reputable breeder would go for a "DNA" test for PRA - and only have a 'BVA" test done for everything other than PRA.....it's getting a breeder to actually state what and why the tests have been done that should be what counts in the public eye .....to say "BVA Clear for PRA" is not enough - and will not be enough on-going.

With public awareness and public pressure - led by educated and responsible Clubs and organisations - then eventually any breeder thinking about breeding will make sure they do every test...............and with time - more tests may need to be added to that list.

Stephen X

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Just looked at what time we were all posting last night ... no wonder I struggled getting up this morning ... not feeling very fresh today lol :) that will teach me ... need loads more beauty sleep ha ha ha ok I need a miracle actually ...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hi Mandy,

They are being advertised on preloved. The pups are not due till middle of May, I am hoping to get a puppy or an older dog (I don't mind which) but I am not able to get one till June onwards. I enquired with her as her pups won't be ready to leave till June, however, after reading all the replies on here about the BVA not being good enough and it should be a DNA test, I won't be going any further with those pups.

Thanks to everyone for the replies re the eye tests, very helpful and I will be making sure the test they have had done is the DNA one and not just the BVA one.

Regards,

Woo

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Hi Mandy,

They are being advertised on preloved. The pups are not due till middle of May, I am hoping to get a puppy or an older dog (I don't mind which) but I am not able to get one till June onwards. I enquired with her as her pups won't be ready to leave till June, however, after reading all the replies on here about the BVA not being good enough and it should be a DNA test, I won't be going any further with those pups.

Thanks to everyone for the replies re the eye tests, very helpful and I will be making sure the test they have had done is the DNA one and not just the BVA one.

Regards,

Woo

Hi Woo - the only real dilemma then is if you go for an older dog / rehome / rescue - you are even more unlikely to find out about their past health history and that of their parents. I know it sounds like a Catch 22 position - but there are loads of Cockapoos out there with little if any testing in their background so unless a 'Poo came with the relevant records for you to trace ancestry your only option would be to test the dog yourself (DNA , FN , Hip-score etc etc) if you wanted to be sure. All these tests carry a financial cost too - and what if the results didn't come back as favourable as you wanted ? What then ?
As a flip-side - there are lots of older Cockapoos that live long happy healthy lives so it is something you have to consider.

If on your own wish-list the health testing is high - then I'd personally restrict your search to breeders (or dogs offered) that have the relevant tests done and the right results to satisfy You - as it's going to be Your dog.

As I mentioned on another thread - there are breeders who do the tests (to varying degrees) - and as time and pressure from the buying public grow - so will the desire to find a breeder who does ALL the testing.

Good Luck with your search.

Stephen X

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.