I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do spend a lot of time talking about dog's toileting habits on this site dont we!! Betty has been with us for just over a week. The breeder told just she already going out to the toilet etc as her kitchen door was open all day.
When I am home Betty has the run of kitchen as the back door is always open
and when I am out (working etc..) she has the run of the garage/utility room,
the patio and the part of the garden. By her being outside so much does this interfere with her toilet training as sometimes I swear she is just waiting until she comes in to the house to do her wee's!! She really does not seem to be able differentiate between being inside or out.We take her out at all the appropriate times but still get caught out. The other thing she does is she will take a wee then do another one within 5 or 10 mins then sometimes a third ( is this normal??)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Im no expert but think its best to take them out every hour so you can give a command when they wee then also give a treat.
This way the pup will realize this is the place where she should do her business,if your not showing her where is the correct place she will just think she can go anywhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hope i dont offend and im presuming Betty is a puppy? if so imo she really shouldnt be left to roam around a garden unsupervised, pups are monkeys for eating what they should'nt , also with regards to the toilet training she needs to be taken out hourly, after each meal and when she wakes after a sleep, praise her when she goes and ignore any accidents unless you catch her, then pick her straight up and take her outside, its all about consistency and being on the ball:) lol

keep an eye on her peeing a lot but its probably normal puppy piddling, but if shes actually leaking all the time i would take her to the vet as there is a genetic condition in miniature poodles,(it can affect other breeds ), called ectopic ureter it can be the cause of incontinence in puppies, im sure its nothing to worry about with Betty though.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense taken - If you ask for advice - you gotta listen!! She doesn't have
complete freedom of the garden , we just fenced off a safe part of the garden
for her adjacent to the patio/utility room which we figured would be better than leaving her couped up inside for the times we just gott go out but perhaps this was not wise after all!!:eek:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi colin, i am no means an expert .......... just read a lot!!!! My breeders notes that he gave us said do not give access to the garden all the time as they see the garden as a play area and not a toilet .. i've done the hourly thing ....... still have the odd accident but hes started to go by the door now & if he needs a poo goes a bit silly so we know he needs to go out!!! Good luck j ;)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Our trainer said not to leave the door open but do the taking out every hour when possible because if you do leave the door open all the time the puppy thinks it is one big open world with no boundaries! I have to keep the door shut most of the time as we have a house cat who doesn't go outside but Beau has learned to go to the door when she needs to go out which I guess she wouldn't have done if the door was open all the time. When they have been outside then reward with a treat they like. Hope this helps a bit :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi colin, i am no means an expert .......... just read a lot!!!! My breeders notes that he gave us said do not give access to the garden all the time as they see the garden as a play area and not a toilet .. i've done the hourly thing ....... still have the odd accident but hes started to go by the door now & if he needs a poo goes a bit silly so we know he needs to go out!!! Good luck j ;)
Sorry Jools - we must have been posting the same things at the same time so looks like I am just going over what you have said :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Im no expert but think its best to take them out every hour so you can give a command when they wee then also give a treat.
This way the pup will realize this is the place where she should do her business,if your not showing her where is the correct place she will just think she can go anywhere.
I agree with Donna. I found that getting the pup used to a specific command and teaching that with praise and a treat worked really well for Dylan.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the invaluable advice, I will now go to a corner and beat myself over the head with a newspaper for being such a rubbish puppy owner:(:(:(

I think i need to revisit my strategy....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks for all the invaluable advice, I will now go to a corner and beat myself over the head with a newspaper for being such a rubbish puppy owner:(:(:(

I think i need to revisit my strategy....
I don't think you are a rubbish puppy owner at all :( Beau now has her bags packed and is ready to live with you as she likes the idea of having the run of a bit of garden all to herself when we are out :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Def not a rubbish owner (well, either that, or we all are!). We had the back door open a lot when Rosie was a puppy, but I think we were just lucky in that she was such a velcro pup that she would only go out there if I went out with her, which was generally only for toileting (her, not me:D)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts