I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Now this is getting stupid. I'm starting to have nightmares about awful things happening to Nacho when I go away at Easter for 2 weeks. For the first week he is staying with my dad and second week with my mum. I have horrible dreams of him getting run over, lost etc and my dad not keeping a close enough eye on him. It's all made up worries really although our family dog a few years ago did get run over so it probably stems from that. I watch Nacho like a hawk and i'm concerned that my dad won't have the same attitude towards looking after him. My mum is also away for the first week so can't ask her to look after him for the full 2 weeks. It sounds so awful but I don't want him in kennels and he loves my dad so much. Also concerned that he'll really suffer from separation anxiety -maybe as much as me. Has anyone been worried about this? And how do they react when you get back? Do you think he'll miss me or will he get over it in a day or two?

I'm worried this is going to ruin my very expensive and once in a lifetime holiday! Please tell me i'm being OTT

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I worry so much about the same thing as my dad looked after a friend's dog once and it got runover- he was devastated. That's the reason I put mine in kennels and the only reason. I really sympathise. Dexter went to kennels as a puppy and he was absolutely fine.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My parents have Betty regularly now but must admit i did worry leaving her the first time. To be honest my mum said they are more careful as Betty is not their dog!! And as fir separation anxiety, as long as Betty gets walks, food, her tennis ball and tummy rubs, she really doesn't seem to mind where she is!!

Nacho will be fine. Get your dad and mum to pop you a text every day or something with an update-thats what mine do when i'm away.

Nacho will be really excited to see you when you get back!!

xx

PS - where are you off to on holiday??

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Obviously I don't knwo your parents but I am sure he will be just fine! If it is any consolation it is the same with children, no one can ever care for them as well as you do! When my eldest first went on holiday with her dad and his parents I was convinced I was never going to see her again....had a few sleepless nights leading up to that! But obviously she was fine, it is just natural feelings.

Enjoy your holiday, the lovely Nacho will just have lots of kisses for you when you get back! :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Worrying is all part of being a cockapoo parent ... we all do it :S :S

Guess I should add I haven't left my poos yet .. keep booking then cancelling holidays oops .. too soft .. but when I am ready for a holiday they will stay with my parents who are dedicated dog owners plus I will leave a long list of instructions ha ha ha ... or Wellerfella may have a couple of cute poos left on her door step .. only teasing Karen :) lol

Susie .. go away, have a nreak and enjoy your dream holiday :) Nacho will be fine with your parents .. they didnt do a bad job in caring for you after all :) :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Poor Susie. I left Betty with a 'host family' of my dog walker at 5 Months as I had already booked the holiday way before deciding to get a dog. I have to be honest Betty was absolutely fine but I did worry about her whilst away. The
lady looking after her was 'older' and she had said that she was not going to
walk Betty off lead whilst we were away, which although probably not nice for Betty did give me some comfort. I think if you make a few calls to 'check in' while you are away it will be fine. Enjoy your hols:)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi Susie,

It doesn’t sound like you’re being silly at all – just a conscientious and caring Nacho owner! :)

My parents will be looking after our puppy Saffi two days a week and also until she’s old enough to mix with other dogs at daycare. They say I’ve become dogzilla as I’ve made them read the puppy manual and have filled their house with a crate, vet bedding, kongs and so on! My Dad teases me that he’ll take Saffi out on his motorbike :eek:!!! I worry too that they won’t put in the same time and effort I will BUT…

When we moved house my parents had to look after my cat Elmo for about a year. I worried that they didn’t cuddle him enough and that they didn’t pay him enough attention but he returned to me and he was absolutely fine – I have to remember, and you do too, that our parents raised us – real life babies! If they can do that, they’ll be able to handle a beautiful charmer like Nacho.

Perhaps express your concerns to your Dad and I’m sure this will help – if Nacho loves your Dad I’m sure the feeling is mutual and your Dad wouldn’t want you to worry.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. This is what I needed. As I don't have children (yet) I can't relate in that respect but god knows what i'll be like when I do and they venture off on their own. I know, they have brought me up very well and i'm not all that bad :)

Jules i'm off to Canada - I really can't wait but this is eating away at me.

Yes, I think a massive list of instructions is needed. My dad is just a little too laid back and forgetful when it comes to animal sitting even though he is a very switched on business man. He does have a cocker spaniel himself who doesn't need the lead walking along the road etc... dad has the 'i don't believe in leads attitude!!!' -This belief will NOT be put into practise when I go and leave Nacho the nutter with him - all adding to my worries! I'm sure he'll be fine and am going to start to relax - or try to at least. I just don't want Nacho thinking i've abandoned him :( He's such a clinger!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Susie ... go and enjoy .. Nacho will be waiting for your return .. but he will also be enjoying being spoilt at Nanny & Grandads ... relax, forget it now and just continue being a fab cockapoo owner... who is allowed a holiday :) :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Get them on Skype if you can, and then you can see Nacho whenever you like:) I do that with Teddy when I go over to the States to see my daughter for a couple of weeks twice a year. He was a bit bemused at first but now just takes it in his stride. It does help, seeing him relaxed and it means you can be reassured that he is happy and so you can enjoy your own break.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get them on Skype if you can, and then you can see Nacho whenever you like:) I do that with Teddy when I go over to the States to see my daughter for a couple of weeks twice a year. He was a bit bemused at first but now just takes it in his stride. It does help, seeing him relaxed and it means you can be reassured that he is happy and so you can enjoy your own break.
Great idea!! Thank you I will do that x

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Susie. I know exactly how you feel and especially after your horrendous golf ball incident it must make him seem even more precious. I'm sure if you explain your fears to your dad about putting Nacho on a lead - he'll take extra care to do so. He'd better as otherwise one of us is going to dognap Nacho - he's just too cute!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh I do feel for you as hate leaving Pushca. I had to leave her with my friend who loves dogs but is of the smack their nose if naughty thinking. So I just imagined her beating Pushca, leaving her outside in the cold, forgetting her after a walk.... Totally mad thoughts. Pushca had a lovely time and apparently watched the night garden every tea time with a 2 yr old as her new best friend!
Your pup will be fine think it's us that have the anxiety to be honest lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
We left Tilly with my parents late last year and we were really worried too. My folks have dogs but you get to thinking that you know what to watch for and that if they turn their back something awful will happen. This really is so unlikely. I know i dont know them but im sure they know how important Nacho is to you and will give it 100%. Plus if Tilly is anything to go by he'll probably not be his over confident self without you there. After our trip i dont think my parents believed all our tales of Tilly's mischief!

About him missing you just remember that dogs live in the moment so he will be fine. Tilly was apparently a little unsure when we left then fine the whole time until we walked in the door and she went crazy! I have never felt so missed but it took us walking in for her to realise so its all good.

Im sure you have nothing to worry about and you will be gutted if you stress the whole time then get back and its all fine.

Have a great time! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.