I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Anxious Cockapoo

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  uniquelady17 
#1 ·
I have a nearly 5 yr old boy, he is such an anxious dog he is very nervous in the car and sometimes doesn't even want to go in the car he so nervous. It looks like he doesn't like
any noise when he is in the car and becomes frightened if there is a different noise. He is very anxious with people and doesn't like any strangers trying to pat him if we are out, if we are at home I just tell people to ignore him and he comes around to them after a while. He is very protective and I do have a sign at the gate not to enter, yesterday he just about bit the power man even though he was settled down and not growling or barking just sitting beside me when he entered but as he was coming through the gate he jumped up and thank goodness only bit the side of his shorts....... He barks alot at people walking past even if they are across the road, if there is any noise from anywhere he barks, he is starting to drive me crazy with the barking for nothing...... does anyone have any suggestions what to do with my anxious dog?

#2 ·
My Cockapoo is quite an anxious pup, well actually careful I would say. I cannot help with the fear of people, but maybe some advice on the barking.
He barks, but only when I leave my living room door open, so he runs to the front door.
Have you found a way to manage his environment, so he barks less? Mind you lots of trial and error.
Another thing that works for me, but may or may not work for you is, I distract him. When I hear a noise, he might bark at, I start telling him to sit and perform tricks for treats. He is so distracted that he forgets to bark or make any noise.
Worth a try, maybe?

#3 ·
Hi Lean that you for the reply. Yes I have tried lots of things and even have 3 or 4 different whistle to get him to come back but once he is in that bark mode especially if hes at the gate he just ignores and device until i go and get him. In the house i close the blinds so he cant see out but then he just runs to the back door and other places barking. If he is not in the head space of barking he will come back to me as he knows there is a treat but once he is in the "im going to eat the courier" head space he will not come at all!!! but i will keep trying and I think i will go back to the training i use to do that is to put the lead on him and settle him that way before i even talk to a courier but not sure about the inside noise yet.....lol we are about to move soon and he wont be able to see the front of the house outside so maybe this will settle the inside noise down :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.