I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pippa is 15 weeks now. She likes to chew my brush hands - if/when she gets a chance! and while im brushing her she usually nips at the brushes. She is usually quite happy for me to brush her back but anywhere else she isnt so patient. Also her nails are getting a bit sharp and apparently her ears need plucking??? I dont suppose JD could do a puppy grooming video if thats not too cheeky!!! Im a visual learner you see ;)
Oh and just a quickie, i thought the base of her tail looked like it was less hairy than the rest but hubby said i was paranoid but then a friend came to visit and asked if id shaved her around her bum??? Any ideas why she might be loosing hair at the base of her tail? Should i be worried (more than i already am)? Any advice/info / photos / videos gratefully received..... please:D

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have the same problem,I am dying to giove Betty a good brush but she
constantly tries to nip me or the brushes and refuses to sit still.
She particularly hates being brushed around her legs and feet...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I clipped Izzy's claws, I did it when she was tired and she didn't mind too much. The breeder I got my Siamese from showed me how to do it and Izzy has white claws so it's easy to see the blood vessels.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Pippa is 15 weeks now. She likes to chew my brush hands - if/when she gets a chance! and while im brushing her she usually nips at the brushes. She is usually quite happy for me to brush her back but anywhere else she isnt so patient. Also her nails are getting a bit sharp and apparently her ears need plucking??? I dont suppose JD could do a puppy grooming video if thats not too cheeky!!! Im a visual learner you see ;)
Oh and just a quickie, i thought the base of her tail looked like it was less hairy than the rest but hubby said i was paranoid but then a friend came to visit and asked if id shaved her around her bum??? Any ideas why she might be loosing hair at the base of her tail? Should i be worried (more than i already am)? Any advice/info / photos / videos gratefully received..... please:D
Hi Wendy
I find what works for me is letting the wife do it!....no only joking:) I use a toy that you can put their favourite treat in and this seem to take their minds off what I am doing and keep it short even if you dont get them done all over you can do the rest another time....hope this helps a little but it will get easier as they get older....;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
For pups, def start when they are tired.
Little an often is what u need to do.
Aside from washing, they won't need grooming as such but they need prep for grooming.
So on a night brush a leg each night, remember front feet are more tickilish. If necessary start with the back of the brush so they get used to the touch.
Pup skin is very delicate so always be gentle, as they get older you can really toughen up!
Then u just need to get them used to sitting still, up high on a table or work top ( on a towel for non slip ) and pet them and work up to the brush.
I'm quite unforgiving and have always table groomed from nine weeks, but I'm a groomer by trade!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts