1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hi Alison. Poor Dexter, that reminds me of last year with Maisie who got so clogged up with snowballs that she couldn't move her legs and I had to carry her home. This year the dogs have equa fleeces, these ones:

http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/dog_suits.html

They are brilliant. Bess didn't seem to gather snowballs, but Maisie still got them on her feet - nowhere near as bad though and it didn't stop her walking.

Sue x

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Ah poor Dexter, that was a serious case of snowballs.

I thought Millie would be covered in snowballs, but I guess because her fur has been cut to about 2cm long, they didn't grow too big.

I would choose an Equafleece too if I thought she'd need one.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Someone suggested cooking oil on paws and legs, could also try de-tangling spray. I use the packaging from washing machine pre packed sachets find they are a good depth for dunking feet but not so big that water goes everywhere so warm dunk usually sorts problem!

Forgot to add short trim will be my aim love the idea of a hairy hound but just not practicle so it will be short cut for Hattie.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I tried rubbing some oil on Dylan's feet and lower legs this week. It did seem to stop him getting any ice between his toes which was the worst problem last year - that rubs sores and really hurts them. He still got snow balls on his upper legs, but I stick to frequent, shorter walks in the new snow. A shorter coat also seems to gather snow less.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I tried rubbing some oil on Dylan's feet and lower legs this week. It did seem to stop him getting any ice between his toes which was the worst problem last year - that rubs sores and really hurts them. He still got snow balls on his upper legs, but I stick to frequent, shorter walks in the new snow. A shorter coat also seems to gather snow less.
Well we had another 2-3 inches of snow last night and I've just got back from our walk. I didn't oil Dylan's paws this time and he did get ice balls between his toes and definitely more snow balls on his legs. So I think the oil does work and I'll use that in future for fresh snow.
Also, I think that fresh snow is very hard work to walk in even for us, and if the snow came halfway up our legs and we had to leap over it for every step, it must be pretty exhausting for the 'poos. That plus carrying your own weight in attached snow balls :eek: no wonder they get tired!

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Well we had another 2-3 inches of snow last night and I've just got back from our walk. I didn't oil Dylan's paws this time and he did get ice balls between his toes and definitely more snow balls on his legs. So I think the oil does work and I'll use that in future for fresh snow.
Also, I think that fresh snow is very hard work to walk in even for us, and if the snow came halfway up our legs and we had to leap over it for every step, it must be pretty exhausting for the 'poos. That plus carrying your own weight in attached snow balls :eek: no wonder they get tired!
What type of oil did you use Helen? Will Olive oil do?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
What type of oil did you use Helen? Will Olive oil do?
I used sunflower oil Clare, but I should think any oil would be fine. I just poured some in my hand and spread it between his toes and up his legs. I assume it just helps to stop the snow from sticking to the fur. Let me know if it works for you.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You can make leg warmers as I did- BUT you do need to put elastic in at the top and bottom to ensure they stay up well unless you get some baby socks that fit ok see here:

http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/cockapoo_care_winter_care.html

I have recently heard of people rubbing warm vaseline into paws to protect and some-one else has recommended using the dematt spray to help stop snow sticking. As these are usually silicon based I can see the logic.

I have recently bought the pawz rubber boots as recommended by Kendal ( as Milly gets sore paws if she goes into woods) we tried them in the snow and they do work although can be a bit slippery for them.

They are like balloons really- but they only protect the foot and not the leg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.