I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Did she provide any details of DNA testing for PRA?

My problem was I could find very little breeders who carry out these important health tests to eliminate the chance of development of future illness/probs related to the cross breed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know she didn't do this at the time we got aj so I doubt she does it now to be honest...but fingers crossed aj has been grand so far!! We didn't ask to see if mum and dad had pedigree papers either and as far as I know majority of her puppies all share the same dad..mum was Cocker dad was the poodle!

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
The pedigree papers don't matter so much. It's the clear test for PRA that would be my main concern. We don't know about Lola.. She came from a terrible place. But Nina has been bred perfectly and I cannot stress how much better the whole process has been, she's a great pup. We need more good breeders in NI. Breeders that follow the standards of breeding practice required for this cross breed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No she def didn't do any pra testing...And at the time we didn't think to ask.Is little nina from a local breeder? And randomly does she go to pet sitters in east belfast? Looks a lot like a little one I have seen in pics on Facebook.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Nina's breeder is a hobby breeder and hasn't any more litters planned. Her girl had two litters and I think that's her finished. Shame as the breeding, care and attention was excellent!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awh that's a shame she doesn't have a litter every year especially as she sounds very good! Yes aj went to same daycare some time ago and he loved it too they seem very good! My mum retired from work so she is now part time sitter..aj loves goin to be spoiled at his grannies! Is def true what they say they worse than kids :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any golden cockapoo pups near Belfast area?

Hey everyone. I am looking for a golden cockapoo girl and was wondering if use know any breeders near Belfast? :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have only heard of one breeder in saintfield, think it's a guy what also breeds labradoodles, think he may also run saintfield kennels but that's about all I know sorry! Would love a good breeder around Belfast so if you find any please let me know :)

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
My puppy Nina is from a home/hobby breeder just outside Belfast, she is a deep golden F2. Nina's breeder hasn't any future litters planned though as far as I am aware, which is a shame because she is amazing.

You might need to think about searching further afield to find a puppy that's come from parents who've had the relevant health checks carried out and a breeder that genuinely cares and has knowledge of cockapoos and who cares where their pups go. Unfortunately after extensive research myself I have failed to find any breeders (other than Nina's) doing this in Northern Ireland. Such a shame..

There is a breeder in Co. Tyrone (search cockapoo pups Tyrone) who breeds creams and apricots, but I was unable to get any info from them regarding health checks when I started searching. Maybe they do, but they didn't inform me of it when I asked and don't provide the info on their website.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering if there's anyone from NI on here with cockapoos? We're based in Belfast so would just be interested to know?
McLisa, I am also based in Belfast and have researched dogs for a while and the Cockapoo breed is high on my list. My last dog died at 16 years old nine years ago and I think I am now in a position to give the right dog a good home, can I ask where you got your dog from?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hi mart3214 I'm so sorry to hear about your dog :( my husband actually got our dog as a surprise from a breeder down near enniskillen. If I'm honest I don't think he was the most reputable of breeders and was breeding a lot of other dogs too so if I was to get another I don't think I would go there. As far as I know there is a breeder near ballynahinch who breeds doodles but that's all I really know. I think he runs boarding kennels too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks McLisa, I will keep on looking. no regrets over last dog, got her from Carryduff dog pound as a six week old pup and had we both had a great time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanting to find a good breeder

Hi Guys, I've been searching high and low for a good breeder. Does anyone have any contacts they could give me. I have done a lot of research about these divine dogs and I've finally caved in after years of asking. I've seen them on Done deal, but I'm so afraid that they might be from a puppy farm. Can anyone help??

I'm after an apricot female pup.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Don't get a cockapoo from donedeal, gumtree or any of those sites in Northern Ireland. It's really a recipe for disaster. I wish I could help you but there are really very few ethical breeders who appropriately health test. Nina's breeder was a wonderful hobby breeder and stopped after 2 litters as she didn't want to put her girl through anymore than that. I don't have first hand experience with any of the other "good breeders" so I can't recommend but there is one outside Saintfield (Saintfield Labradoodles) and another in Tyrone - NI Cockapoos (who didn't health test when I asked last year, but maybe does now).

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
I see an opening for a new venture here for you Ruth?
It's really poor Dawn. Bar Nina's breeder, who no longer breeds, there is really no other breeder who seems to do it all right! I'm by no means saying they all do it wrong, they do get bits right but it's not perfect or optimal. Nina's breeder was literally one in million!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts