I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We are in line to buy a cavapoo from Raffles in Cheshire next month (April 2018). I have searched high and low for a breeder as I'm terrified of unknowingly "supporting" a puppy farm. We settled for Raffles in the end, however.. I have recently found some bad reviews since autumn 2017 where people have had very sad experiences. Sick puppies, some dying from parovirus and gardia. Has anyone else bought from them? If so, what was your experience please??

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Just had a bit of an internet search - try Puppy Love page and facebook page - they appear to be a very large scale breeder with a whole host of serious complaints against them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I contacted several previous buyers from Raffles via their Facebook group and several replied. All of them rated them very highly and said their dogs were all healthy. I also did the 2 hr trip to visit Raffles this weekend as I wanted to see it for myself and I felt they were very professional and their dogs most importantly, looked happy and healthy. I queried the bad reviews and according to Raffles, these people didn’t follow the guidelines. Apparently, one person took their pup, age 8-9wks to a pub before its 2nd vaccination. I also contacted their local council and asked if they had any issues with this breeder. They assured me they had the correct licence, been inspected by councils animal welfare inspector etc.. so anyway, my personal impression is that Raffle is actually what it says on their website. A large breeder but ethical and keen on animal welfare. They asked a lot about how many hrs I work, if we have a garden etc. They also offer to vaccinate the pups fully before they leave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I contacted several previous buyers from Raffles via their Facebook group and several replied. All of them rated them very highly and said their dogs were all healthy. I also did the 2 hr trip to visit Raffles this weekend as I wanted to see it for myself and I felt they were very professional and their dogs most importantly, looked happy and healthy. I queried the bad reviews and according to Raffles, these people didn’t follow the guidelines. Apparently, one person took their pup, age 8-9wks to a pub before its 2nd vaccination. I also contacted their local council and asked if they had any issues with this breeder. They assured me they had the correct licence, been inspected by councils animal welfare inspector etc.. so anyway, my personal impression is that Raffle is actually what it says on their website. A large breeder but ethical and keen on animal welfare. They asked a lot about how many hrs I work, if we have a garden etc. They also offer to vaccinate the pups fully before they leave.

We bought our Alfie from Raffles and we cannot speak too highly of the staff at Raffles, they were excellent and are always there to give you advice and help at any time. We have kept in touch and they welcome any updates on your new furry pal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate that this is now an old post but I am now in the same situation as the OP and very strongly considering a raffles cockapoo and so am open to any feedback (good or bad) from other that have used them.
I do have allergies (I'm fine with some cockapoos, others I'm allergic to, generally curlier coat the better) which I why I am leaning towards raffles as they seem to wait until at least 6 or 7 weeks before allowing puppy selection and appear to want to work with potential puppy parents on this matter to save heartache down the line.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
With allergies being a factor I would actually go for a breed rather than a crossbreed so you can spend time with both pups and adults to make sure you will not have allergies. I have heard of people with cockapoo pups becoming allergic when the adult coat came in and then having to rehome them

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would echo what 2ndHandGal has said with regard to the allergies.

I was really unsure what kind of coat our cockapoo pup would have until she was around 6 months old. She looked entirely like a cocker spaniel until then and then suddenly her curls came in, now she looks like a curly cocker spaniel. We didn't choose a cockapoo because of their non-shedding qualities, which is a good thing as Luna is far from non-shedding!

Have you considered a mini/toy poodle? They are beautiful dogs and at least you are more likely to know what type of coat you will get!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Popz2018 I was just wondering if you did end up getting your puppy from Raffles. I have put my name on their pre-reserve list and I just wanted to get some feedback on your experience with them. Many Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Raffles

We bought Maisie from Raffles on 2nd Jan 2019 although an older puppy she is beautiful and has a wonderful nature. I’ve called Mark a couple of times for advice and they have always been very helpful. If i was to buy another puppy I would go to Raffles without a doubt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Raffles

Hi everyone
I am new to the group.
I wanted to see if anyone else got their dogs from Raffles, and what their experiences were. I have also recently been added to the Raffles pre-reserve list. However, just like Popz2018 I only saw the negative reviews once i had applied to be on their list and paid the £250 non refundable deposit. Obviously, I am now feeling extremely worried and anxious about this. What the negative reviews are describing are quite horrific experiences with dealing with them, as well as puppies dying and getting sick, people have been threatened.
I note Popz2018 has not been back on here to say whether they did go ahead. I would like to know if they did. Has anyone else got their dog from there since the last few comments?
Thank you for reading
Miss Lolly P

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would be careful. Despite recommending them before (I picked up pup 2 last year) I would not recommend any more. I know of many sick puppies over and above those stories documented on puppy love. Gardia in particular. Worms, kennel cough and ear mites too. Dogs are leaving there poorly. Its not isolated like suggested and I know the people who've spoken to me certainly didnt take their puppy to a pub. I fell for all the bull**** explanations too. My puppy was fully vaccinated on collection and still had Gardia! Weeks of stress and worry. Also when they tell you that blood in stools is normal dont believe them.
Its absolutely not! Knowing what I know now it doesnt sit well with me that any breeder can have up to 49 bitches. There were multiple litters being collected when I was in last summer. Certainly cant have them all in their kitchen when they are born. You'll meet the parents but you wont see your dog interact with them. Patents get carried in and out. In my opinion it a posh puppy farm which unfortunately works within the law. Council are well aware of recent issues too. I'd avoid and look for a home breeder. I'm sure any ethical breeder would return your deposit if you share the concerns you have with them! Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to let you know my thoughts here. I got my pup who is now almost a year old from these people who are supposed to be a "reputable breeder" . My pup came home and had loose stools, she took herself off her food (breeder provided) I took her to the vets who treated her for a paracistic infection (parvo, giardia etc) they said she didn't have parvo as she would have deteriorated much quicker. After the first week though she had a rectal prolapse. I was in contact with the breeder and they paid for her insurance, she also got her paw stuck in her puppy pen on the same day (breeder also paid for this too.) since then I have been contacted by ALOT of people who have also been contacted by others who have had sick pups. Their pups have had mites, giardia, heart problems, pneumonia, bardotella and the list goes on. I have spoken to the breeder about me being contacted by others and they have a well rehearse speech about they sometimes get things wrong but they always look after their pups... My pup is fine now except for the occasional throwing up randomly but others are not..

Between jan-may last year they had over 60litters the litter list has been updated recently and we now have evidence that between Jan- Oct there were 100+ litters, all to seperate bitches. I asked about this figure and was told this wasnt correct, that they don't know how many liters there have been as they don't pan to have X amount a month. All 60 + litters have been tacked and there are multiple sources online. There seems to be pups coming out every week, you can keep an eye on the "available pup page" and check yourself.

When you meet the parents they are carried out to you, when you meet your pup they're not with their litter mates... Well mine wasnt she was handed to me when I collected her. When I collected her there were at least three maybe four litters (different breed) leaving at the same time as her.
I have since found out a few owners with pups with congenital problems after they "health test" their parents correctly.. Well not their mums I only have one certificate for the dad so who knows! The vet has signed off soooo many pups that have been ill.. And I'm talking giardia, heart problems, a lady I've spoken to has a pup with an eye problem that they cant insure their dog for, I've got another with a £7k bill that they refuse to pay for as pup was out of the UK when the owner can prove this wasn't a stipulation on their website at the time... Guess what guys they changed the website.. I've got a lady with a pup with extra toes.. Vet and raffles didn't notice.. How can you not notice an extra toe on your pups? Kennel cough, bodetella, mites, a dog vommitted live worms, your dog will most like come home with bloody diarrhea literally it WILL have blood in! These stories you have heard they ARE real. These threats you've heard about ARE real. The legal team is very good and they can't be named publically by those who comment negatively. Take a look at fb at the cavapoo owners uk group and have a look at the 116 comments to my post there. All owners with similar stories. They were not named! The owners are starting to talk they are starting to realise their pup wasn't the ONLY one. And they want you prospective buyers to be aware and to go somewhere else.

Oh and a deposit by law has to be refundable you may want to go check that out.

I really would not recommend them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much for your responses. I am so glad that I have looked into this further, just wish I had done it before and had not been taken in by their website. I am definitely not going ahead with getting a pup from them.
I contacted my credit card company and they said I would not be able to get my deposit back as it is stated on Raffles website that it is non refundable, and therefore they would have it stated in their terms and conditions. I think I will contact them again to double check this. Thank you again everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really hope the word spreads more and more about what is going on there and they get their licence taken away. They started their non refundable deposit from November last year, so obviously they were getting affected by people pulling out after paying them the pre-reservation fee and having to pay them back, but now it looks like they can get away with it. I've had a quick read on the WHICH website about getting money back from a 'non-refundable deposit' and I don't think I will be able to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's shocking about the deposit. It's a shame that a reputable breeder needs to take steps like that! I hope you find yourselves a lovely wee puppy soon. X

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im glad you are not going through with Raffles. They are obviously a puppy farm. I joined a Facebook group for cockapoo owners and they have blocked people that ask questions a such as where is the puppy’s mother or any negative comments. Please do not buy from them 😞 I got my lovely boy from an amazing person in Lincolnshire, happy to pass on the contact. Important when you get a puppy from a good breeder you might have to wait. Better wait and have a healthy puppy than to give money to puppy farms 😞

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received this from a breeder (not raffles which I pulled out of,) ...is it reasonable? "The Kc didn’t acknowledge cross breeds till they found out everyone else did. So then they set up some sort of club to accept them. *They didn’t like missing out on all the money they were losing... if you want to come down to us I will talk to you. *We only have pups from our own dogs we don’t buy any .."

1 - 20 of 54 Posts