I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new here. I think this is a great space and I found it very helpful. I have a new cockapoo pup. He is currently 9 weeks but he has such a huge appetite. I feed him according to the kibble by royal canine (puppy mini) And it’s guidelines that are on the bag. I do know every puppy has different needs but he isnt very active either as most of the time he sleeps. When i feed him, I feed him 3 times a day and give roughly 17g of kibble per meal. He gets treats when trained and dentastix or other chews in between and he still seems to cry at the shelf that holds all his food. When we give him the food he eats it so quickly practically swallowing and not chewing. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so what is the solution, do I feed him more or more frequently?? I don’t want to feed him more without consulting it with someone knowing he could get overweight considering the little exercise he actually gets. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
That looks like you are reading the bag wrongly - you feed the pup for the expected ADULT weight of the dog. A dog with an adult weight of 2kg would get 49g, 6kg 103g and 10kg 146g so depending on size of your pups parents you need to work out expected adult weight and feed to that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like you are reading the bag wrongly - you feed the pup for the expected ADULT weight of the dog. A dog with an adult weight of 2kg would get 49g, 6kg 103g and 10kg 146g so depending on size of your pups parents you need to work out expected adult weight and feed to that.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks so much!
Our pup is 15 weeks old and same thing. Eats like a vacuum and never seems to get enough. I give him 1/4 c 3x per day and lots of training treats. Vet said right amount and others have told me not to worry about all the training treats cause he is a super active puppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our pup is 15 weeks old and same thing. Eats like a vacuum and never seems to get enough. I give him 1/4 c 3x per day and lots of training treats. Vet said right amount and others have told me not to worry about all the training treats cause he is a super active puppy.
Thanks so much! I’ve upped his food now and he is way more satisfied than before and with regards to the fast eating I’d buy a “slow feeding bowl” for your pup if you don’t already have one. I got mine a couple of days ago and it’s amazing, does just what it says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll check that out, thanks! I use puzzle balls and a snuffle matt which slows him down and uses his brain/senses. He loves them and makes meal time fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts