I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, teddy loves his walks off the lead, and when we see other dogs teddy lies down and waits for the dog to greet him... Which is fine... But then he gets all excited and starts jumping and playing around and when it's time to leave the other dog he wont come. We have tried running in the opposite direction, Squeaking toys and calling him but nothing is more interesting than the other dog. He is otherwise very good at his recall. Any help would be useful. Thank you x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
when you let him off let him drag a light lead on his collar, that way if he is jumping about you dnt have to try and cat him you just have to get close enought to stand on the lead. that way you can get a holde of him quicker. then lots of praze.

also put him back on lear several times during the walk then let him back off. owners often fall into the habit of only puting the dog back on lead when its time to go home, the dog learns that the lead going on means play time stops so they jump about at the end so you end up playing a game of chace.

Delta can be a bit of a pain. its not that she jumps around but she knows im going to put her on the lead and will only come back for a treat to go on the lead, i still dont know how this happend as the others all come back to go on the lead no probem, she ist just at it. lol its like my wee brother saying he will do something if i take him to the wee shop for a sweat. wee minx.

but in general the above will work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Kendel is right keep recall working all through the walk touch collar each time. Putting back on the lead at different times and then release again. With regards the greeting other dogs it may be an idea when you see another dog or he goes into his lay down position to put the lead on and let him have a short greet then walk away praising him. This way he will learn that he is allowed to say hello on your terms but leave on your terms also. Gradually start to allow off lead play but if he refuses to return when asked then go back to lead and start again. This is just a recall issue and will only be resolved with lots of recall training. When he is on the lead (walking in street) does he lunge or sit when other dogs are passing? If he does then work on this too making him sit and wait while they pass keeping his attention on you with a tasty high value treat. Again this is teaching he can say hello and play but on your terms only. Keep going with recall training around distractions (as you say he's good when no dogs around) you could even use a long 20ft training lead while sorting this issue out. But its just practice practice practice. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.