I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I highly recommend for everyone to go visit any breeder before buying! look at the conditions yourself! I know it can be quite far, but make a trip out of it. At then end of the day, it is important.
How many dogs do they have?
There should not be more than one litter. All parents need to be health tested. Is it clean? Are the puppies a lot cheaper (that's not necessarily an indicator, but check why) etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I highly recommend for everyone to go visit any breeder before buying! look at the conditions yourself! I know it can be quite far, but make a trip out of it. At then end of the day, it is important.
How many dogs do they have?
There should not be more than one litter. All parents need to be health tested. Is it clean? Are the puppies a lot cheaper (that's not necessarily an indicator, but check why) etc.
Thank
Well - this breeder - has multiple litters - so sad
I did visit in May/ At the time they had two litters
I spoke to her about rescuing my sweet Dollie Dog from a puppy mill - used as a breeder- She had major Health issues her entire life
The woman spoke on and on about a problem with puppy meals and not to buy from them- I believed her- I found out about her while walking in the park here in Lynchburg- Saw two of the most beautiful puppies/ Two years old- Inquired and was given her name the lady was very happy
Now I have qualms- I’ve fallen in love with the puppy
- I don’t mind losing the $200 deposit but I’m sad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank
Well - this breeder - has multiple litters - so sad
I did visit in May/ At the time they had two litters
I spoke to her about rescuing my sweet Dollie Dog from a puppy mill - used as a breeder- She had major Health issues her entire life
The woman spoke on and on about a problem with puppy meals and not to buy from them- I believed her- I found out about her while walking in the park here in Lynchburg- Saw two of the most beautiful puppies/ Two years old- Inquired and was given her name the lady was very happy
Now I have qualms- I’ve fallen in love with the puppy
- I don’t mind losing the $200 deposit but I’m sad
Thank you
When I do get a new pu

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
The whole point is nobody is going to admit to being a puppy mill and you need to learn to read between the lines. I have heard of pups being homed from nice family homes where they claim either an accidental litter or they have a pup which they can no longer keep, the bigger breeders have lovely photos of pups snuggling on sofas or running happily on grass which is all a front and marketing and far from the reality of a pup reared in a barn who see's humans a couple of times a day to be fed and that is about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The whole point is nobody is going to admit to being a puppy mill and you need to learn to read between the lines. I have heard of pups being homed from nice family homes where they claim either an accidental litter or they have a pup which they can no longer keep, the bigger breeders have lovely photos of pups snuggling on sofas or running happily on grass which is all a front and marketing and far from the reality of a pup reared in a barn who see's humans a couple of times a day to be fed and that is about it.
yes
Thank you
What is The best puppy food to start with..?

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the beginning do NOT change the food too fast. The breeder should give you food that they fed the puppy and since puppy stomachs are very sensitive it is a bad idea to immediately change their diet when so much has changed for them. When you do want to change the food, mix the old and new food and very slowly move to the new food.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the beginning do NOT change the food too fast. The breeder should give you food that they fed the puppy and since puppy stomachs are very sensitive it is a bad idea to immediately change their diet when so much has changed for them. When you do want to change the food, mix the old and new food and very slowly move to the new food.
Thanks…..you are sooo helpful

21 - 28 of 28 Posts