I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being at home for two weeks after Betty's arrival it was time to go back to work on Monday. As I did not want to leave Betty alone all ay I had employed the services of a dog walker/sitter. I met with a few before Betty came home and settled on a lovely lady that was highly recomneded by my vet.
She visited twice a day whilst I was at home with Betty so they would become friends. The idea was from Monday she would get picked up mid morning and spend the rest of the day being dog sat with the occasional walk. All went well until yesterday when I took a call from the dog walker telling me that Betty had been attacked by another dog (GSD cross).
She rushed Betty to her vet and it transpired that Betty had suffered a punctured chest which was letting in air and severley brusised lungs making it
difficult for Betty to breathe. I was told by the vet that Betty was in a critical
condition and may not survive. I was absolutely heartbroken and devasted.
The first three - four hours after they stitched up the whole in her chest would becritical and had to wait for the vet to call with news. Every minute seemed like an hour. When the vet eventually called back they said that although her breathing was still difficult she had picked up on her colour. We had several updates thoughout the evening/night but there was not much change other than she had not got worse. It was a very sleepless night. This morning we went to see Betty at the Vet ( they had told us not to come yesterday as the excitment would affect her breathing futher). They said that her colour was still good and she had managed to eat and drink something although she is still having difficulty breathing.They have said that there is nothing further they can do fo her at the moment as we have to wait and see what the affects are on her lungs.If it is just bruising it will hopefullly improve in a few days but there is a chance that part of her lung could collapse -although they say they can remove the part if it does. They have said that we can take Betty home tonight as they are only monitoring her there at the sugery ( no further treatment) but must keep a very close watch on her. I am so upset it is hard to put in to words.
Who would have thought that a dog could steal your heart so completely in just two weeks. I would like you all to be so careful with your puppies when taking them out or entrusting them to anyone else - I feel I have certainly paid the price. I will keep you advised of Betty's progress but your thoughts and prayers are well recevied.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Oh Colin - what a terrible time you've had. And poor Betty :( I hope she pulls through and makes a speedy recovery. Sending you both lots of :hug:

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey that is so sad about Betty i realy hope she goes from strength to strength.

one of my frieds who breeds GSDs, one of her pups was atacked by a staffie not long after it started getting out for walks, the dog was fine but had some bad cuts which have heald now.
i recomend as soon as you can get her out and about with other dogs, the last thingyou want to do is keep her away from them. this GSD is such a friendly dog because the owner started from scratch getting it used to other dogs again.

was this another dog the walkier was walking or was it with its owner?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Colin,What a nightmare. What happened to you must be every owners worst fear. I know everyone on the forum will be thinking about you and your precious bundle at this time.
Please let us know what is happening.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey that is so sad about Betty i realy hope she goes from strength to strength.

one of my frieds who breeds GSDs, one of her pups was atacked by a staffie not long after it started getting out for walks, the dog was fine but had some bad cuts which have heald now.
i recomend as soon as you can get her out and about with other dogs, the last thingyou want to do is keep her away from them. this GSD is such a friendly dog because the owner started from scratch getting it used to other dogs again.

was this another dog the walkier was walking or was it with its owner?
Thanks Kendal, good advise as always.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Oh I am so sorry to read this, We send you all the love and health that there is and hope for a speedy recovery.
please keep us posted on Betty's progress.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
That's terrible Colin, so sad. I can fully understand how a dog can steal your heart in two weeks.

Was the other dog in her care too, or was it a random dog. By the way, what is a GSD?

I really hope Betty recovers soon. Thinking of you. :hug:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about Betty it must have been an awful shock.:(

I hope that the GSD owner is aware as it's very unusual for a dog to attack a young puppy :( so that does need looking into.

I am sending Betty loads of healing vibes and wishes and wishing her a full and speedy recovery and sending daddy a big hug too xx

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
How awful poor little betty,what a relief she is starting to recover.Did the dog walker let her off the lead?If not then i wouldnt be too harsh with the dog walker because sometimes other irresponsible dog walkers/owners are to blame allowing dogs that should be muzzled and on the lead,off the lead.Im a dog walker and there have been occasions when a dog has appeared out of nowhere trying ti attack the dogs i have been walking.It makes me so angry because these dogs should not be allowed off the lead at all.Hope she makes a speedy recover xxxx

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That is so terrible. My heart goes out to you. Dylan was attacked by a staff when he was only 4 months old so I can imagine how you must be feeling. Fortunately he was ok and I so hope that Betty will be too. We are all thinking of you and Betty and sending all our wishes for her recovery :hug:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's terrible Colin, so sad. I can fully understand how a dog can steal your heart in two weeks.

Was the other dog in her care too, or was it a random dog. By the way, what is a GSD?

I really hope Betty recovers soon. Thinking of you. :hug:
The dog walker claims it was a random dog that came out of nowhere - they were walking in the woods, she did not see the owner as her concern was for Betty. I do have some doubts about it being one of her other dogs though.

GSD - German shepherd dog.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm very sorry to hear about Betty it must have been an awful shock.:(

I hope that the GSD owner is aware as it's very unusual for a dog to attack a young puppy :( so that does need looking into.

I am sending Betty loads of healing vibes and wishes and wishing her a full and speedy recovery and sending daddy a big hug too xx
I'm not sure I will ever know the truth but really appreciate your good wishes

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How awful poor little betty,what a relief she is starting to recover.Did the dog walker let her off the lead?If not then i wouldnt be too harsh with the dog walker because sometimes other irresponsible dog walkers/owners are to blame allowing dogs that should be muzzled and on the lead,off the lead.Im a dog walker and there have been occasions when a dog has appeared out of nowhere trying ti attack the dogs i have been walking.It makes me so angry because these dogs should not be allowed off the lead at all.Hope she makes a speedy recover xxxx
Thanks, apparently Betty was on the lead. I really like the dog walker and do trust her or would never have left Betty in her care - I guess there is part of me looking to blame someone other than myself.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Colin, You can't blame yourself at all. There was nothing that could be done. There are irresponsible dog owners out there who don't teach there dogs how to act, or treat them in a way that causes them to act out. Unfortunately there is nothing that you ( or as it seems the dog walker) could have done. We all hope Betty is in for a speedy recovery it is sad that it happened to her, and to you. All of my thoughts are with you guys. this is a rough time. I hope that she makes a full recovery.Please don't blame yourself, try and concentrate on Betty getting better. It is unfortunate that we can not change the past.

My mom is going through something like this now. She was out walking on a path and a cyclist hit her from behind. He didn't stop to see if she was ok, and yelled at her as well. she broke her tibia and ripped her ACL, she is having a hard time with the blame, like she did something wrong. all you can do when horrid accidents happen because of horrid people is to try and persevere through it all.

Lady sends Betty a loving healing puppy kiss.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Colin that's awful, my heart goes out to you as I know how quickly we get attached to our puppies. What is a gsd? Sounds like it was that dog's owner who was at fault. Hope little Betty quickly picks up now and hope there will be no lasting damage for her. xxx

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Poor Betty, Poor you and poor dog walker. Imagine how she must feel if it happened the way she said it did. Izzy was attacked recently by two Gordon setters and I was with her. Fortunately Izzy wasn't hurt, but the dogs just appeared from behind a hedge and there was nothing I could do about it.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Hi, so sorry to see your poor puppy has been attacked. I too have had a dog attacked and it really is a shocking experience!!!!! Sending lots of good wishes your way and hope Betty makes a full recovery ASAP:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aww colin im so sorry to hear that. I really hope that Betty is ok. And you have nothing to blame your self for.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts