I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dexter is now 7 months and we had hoped that he would grow out of his biting phase. He always tries to play by biting me then barks, snarls, and growls if I tell him no. Today he chewed through his mesh door of his crate and is acting crazy. I take him for walks and we play with him a lot. My husband says I am not firm enough but I tell him no and put him in his crate if he won't stop biting me. Do they ever grow out of this behavior? What am I doing wrong? Positive re enforcement doesn't work. We give him praise when he is chewing on his toys. We have replaced my hand with his toy like we were told. He get's lots of attention but also has alone time in his crate. I am home almost all day so it isn't loneliness. We have tried spraying him with a spray bottle, we have tried bitter apple, a loud noise, EVERYTHING we can think of. ARG.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
with my lot it was a care of if they took my hand in their mouth i refused to remove it, even if it ment holding their p or bottem jaw. hafter a couple of attempts they soon get the messege. by doing this you are taking it out of their controle you are deciding when they let go. its not fun anymore. well thats what worked for me.

oh this has not prevented me from chcking their teeth i can open their mouths and put my hand in and they dont freek out, so it is not detramental to them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll that that again. It seems that recently, after trying the squirt bottle again, he will stop if we spray him.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jersey has the same problem. If kendall's idea dosent work out, what I do is when he bites, I yell "ow" really really loud which shouldn't be hard if it really hurt. I'm also natrally loud, lol. Then make a really mad face and walk away like your mad at him. When he growls or bites you might want to give him a firm tap on his nose and say no and walk away. Good luck!!! Jersey is stubborn like that to. I also heard that they may grow out off it around a year old. Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts