I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My 5 month old cockapoo has over the past 2 weeks developed really bad breath! Its not pleasant!
She never had it before.. I'm really not sure of the cause? Any advice suggestions hugely appreciated

Many thanks

Registered
What does it smell of? This might give you some indication of what the cause might be. If it鈥檚 a poo type smell she might be picking up animal (or her own) poo and eating it. A pear drop sweet smell could indicate diabetes. I鈥檇 also check her mouth to see if there鈥檚 something stuck that鈥檚 gone a bit rotten. Also check to see if any plaque/tartar/gum disease as this can cause bad breath. Is she otherwise we鈥檒l? If not I鈥檇 probably get the vet to check her. The other gross thing our lovely pooches do is lick their private bits- have you noticed her doing that or any signs that her anal glands may be playing up and she is licking this discharge? Hopefully you either find the cause and then cure for it or it disappears as quickly as it started.

Registered
My puppy's breath smelled so took him to the vet. His developed over 2 weeks, too. He had an abscessed tooth. Take your dog to the vet rather than self diagnosing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
My puppy's breath smelled so took him to the vet. His developed over 2 weeks, too. He had an abscessed tooth. Take your dog to the vet rather than self diagnosing.
I wasnt self diagnosing I was asking for advice. I took her to the vets. They told me she is teething.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
What does it smell of? This might give you some indication of what the cause might be. If it鈥檚 a poo type smell she might be picking up animal (or her own) poo and eating it. A pear drop sweet smell could indicate diabetes. I鈥檇 also check her mouth to see if there鈥檚 something stuck that鈥檚 gone a bit rotten. Also check to see if any plaque/tartar/gum disease as this can cause bad breath. Is she otherwise we鈥檒l? If not I鈥檇 probably get the vet to check her. The other gross thing our lovely pooches do is lick their private bits- have you noticed her doing that or any signs that her anal glands may be playing up and she is licking this discharge? Hopefully you either find the cause and then cure for it or it disappears as quickly as it started.
Sorry Dig I did reply straight away but the post most not have uploaded appologies.
It smelt of fish... she does tend to lick her privates after a wee but not seen her lick her bottom..
I brush her teeth and way trying to check for stuck food... I took her to the vets and they checked and said all looks fine and it was caused by her teething! Shes lost some of her big teeth now and it's most definitely getting better thankfully.
Thank you for replying and apologies again the post didnt upload. X

Registered
No worries- I鈥檓 glad you鈥檝e got to the bottom of it. 馃憤 hope the teething sorts itself out soon. Our Digby ended up having to have three teeth removed as they just weren鈥檛 budging. Try getting a cockapoo not to chew anything for two weeks 馃槼. I also want to apologise- My post wasn鈥檛 intended to replace vet advice, just to suggest possible causes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
No worries- I鈥檓 glad you鈥檝e got to the bottom of it. 馃憤 hope the teething sorts itself out soon. Our Digby ended up having to have three teeth removed as they just weren鈥檛 budging. Try getting a cockapoo not to chew anything for two weeks 馃槼. I also want to apologise- My post wasn鈥檛 intended to replace vet advice, just to suggest possible causes.
Oh no you're kidding... poor you and Digby! Can't begin to imagine!!
Oh Gosh please dont apologise! That's why I posted for suggestions and advice... these beautiful pups are full of hidden gems and so often some easy advice is so very helpful xx

Registered
Hi all

My 5 month old cockapoo has over the past 2 weeks developed really bad breath! Its not pleasant!
She never had it before.. I'm really not sure of the cause? Any advice suggestions hugely appreciated

Many thanks
Is your dog brushing his teeth daily? Your dog can develop bad breath because of poor oral hygiene. I hope you didn't mind my question. Sorry

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Is your dog brushing his teeth daily? Your dog can develop bad breath because of poor oral hygiene. I hope you didn't mind my question. Sorry
I brush them with puppy brush and paste every day... don't be sorry ask away... .
The vets seems to think it was her teething causing the smell? But I've also stopped some treats she was having (everything else she was having was hypoallergenic apart from those) and it seems to have stopped... coincidence I'm not sure?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts