I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been trawling through the BARF threads after hearing all about it recently. Ruby is coming up to 9 months and is currently on James Wellbeloved without any problems... If anyone would be so kind to answer a few queries I have I would really appreciate it. I hope I don't seem like a moron but I am confused :)

I have always been told that dogs can't eat chicken bones because they splinter their insides, I'm assuming from reading about the raw chicken wings this is a crock...?!

Also if you are feeding NI do you have to suppliment with bones? Is that the basic principle?

I really like the idea of a totally natural diet, and the health benefits that are associated. Has anyone tried it and not liked it?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi J,ive just been doing the same as you investigateing about barf and what its all about ,go onto the cockapoo health page theres a really good thread on there,hope that helps,also Jukee doodles have done a good thread too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm feeling the same having reading through the threads! I can understand how it is better for the dog, but why are some vets so against it?!

I think as well it does come down to time, space and cost - would a good quality complete food with raw bones and chicken wings be ok to start off with?

My vet recommended to look for a food that has a meat content of 80% and veg 20% as a guide when looking to buy food.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
any cooked bone shound not be fed to dogs, but raw bones of any size can be fed to dogs.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I think that orijen dog food def looks the best for dry food,im sure someone worked out cost wise that using the natural instinct wasnt that much more per day.

Im waiting for my pup but im gonna put him on orijen and when hes older get him rawbones from the butcher etc,you can give chicken wings so long as they are raw,if their cooked the bone can splinter.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If confused and wanting to feed barf just go with natural instinct as it is complete, vet approved food. Whether you go NI or DIY barf you'll still need freezer space either to keep the NI or for all the wings, carcasses and bones etc as it wouldn't be that practical to keeping getting fresh.

NI isn't scary it's just like wet food without the smell.

I have a small chest freezer in the garage. I take a 1kg tray out in the evening at about 10pm and put it in the fridge overnight so it partially defrosts then I cut the 1kg piece into 5 chunks. I feed one, as she will eat it partially defrosted, then refreeze the remaining 4 portions. I then get a portion out each evening at 6pm and defrost overnight. Easy. Then I use Origen kibble for treats and to keep her used to kibble if travelling away. I also keep a supply of lamb and beef bones from the butcher in the freezer and give her a bone about twice a week. I sometimes give a raw chicken wing in place of NI as a meal.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think that orijen dog food def looks the best for dry food,im sure someone worked out cost wise that using the natural instinct wasnt that much more per day.

Im waiting for my pup but im gonna put him on orijen and when hes older get him rawbones from the butcher etc,you can give chicken wings so long as they are raw,if their cooked the bone can splinter.
This is what I am planning also! :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I assume you've already read the threads so wont go too over board with detail.
Dogs cant have cooked chicken wings or bone as they become brittle with cooking and so can splinter. The chicken wing and carcuss are soft bones.
The NI has ground bone in the food, you can give chicken wings ect as part of the diet but you dont have to its all there in NI. But chewing the bone has added benefits of the chewing action and pulling so good for exercise and teeth.
Origen has 80% meat/fish/protein and 20% veg no grains.
Not sure why some vets dont like maybe they have to push the food that they endorse and i assume get sponsored for. Natural Instincts have a list of vets that do support barf feeding. Hope this helps x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Sorry to have repeated .. but there were no replies when I read... obviously all typing at once and my keyboard skills are obviously up there with my computer skills x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think that vets just aren't very knowledgeable about barf and view it kind of like a GP would view acupuncture. It's not what they have been educated to recommend. There is a lot of controversy about barf and controversy is scary when you just want to do what's best for your pet, and that's why I feed NI, although I have fed chicken carcasses, wings, raw fish etc in the past. By the way, load-bearing chicken bones, such as thighs, are apparently also best avoided, and it is also important to get the balance of meat/veg/bone right to avoid constipation. That's why DIY barf diets need to be carefully researched, unlike NI who have done all the work for you. There is no need with NI to give anything else to balance the diet, but I give large bones as recreation, to keep Dylan busy if I leave him at home for a while, and to keep his teeth sparkling.
As Mandy says, there is nothing tricky or yucky about feeding NI as it's just like minced meat. You do need a little freezer space, but you can buy as little as 5kg at a time. I do mine a bit differently to Mandy - I just defrost one 1kg pack at a time and it stays in the fridge until used up.
For those that really can't feed raw, Orijen definitely seems like the best kibble. The main reason that I prefer raw is simply that I find the idea of my dog eating nothing but little brown pellets for his entire life a little sad. I like to see him eating "real" food. I just think that any processed food, no matter how good the ingredients, doesn't compare with pure, balanced, natural raw food, and I'm sure that the dogs enjoy fresh food more. But this is purely my own personal, emotional reaction, not necessarily logical, and any move towards a better food of any kind can only be a good thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We are going down the NI route with Flo (as long as she likes it that is!) Little Flo will be eating Beta puppy food when we bring her home (4 weeks yaay) but I have talked with the breeder and she seems to think changing to NI over a few days will be fine! I have warned our butcher and he is very keen to donate a few big meaty bones to Flo!! I will give chicken wings from time to time I think, as a change for her. I have also read that fish is a good idea too so perhaps a few pilchards from time to time!!
All the other threads related to a barf diet have been really useful by the way!!
Wendy and Little Flo x

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for such helpful replies. I have now got my head around it. Does anyone feed a mixed diet of quality kibble and NI?

J

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thank you all for such helpful replies. I have now got my head around it. Does anyone feed a mixed diet of quality kibble and NI?

J
You could feed a mixture of kibble and NI but you ought to use a carb/grain free kibble such as Origen or it would negate any benefits of using NI in terms of it being biologically (carb/grain free) food.

Personally I wouldn't mix kibble (Origen) with NI as it could be that in processing the kibble they have done something that means it gets digested slightly differently and at a different rate so I would give an NI meal (morning) then a kibble meal (evening) if mixing the two although I now just use NI exclusively at mealtimes. You might find after giving NI meals that your dog would turn it's nose up at a bowl of kibble!!

I suppose some dogs would be perfectly fine dealing with NI and cereal based kibble chucked in but for some dogs it would cause problems. Personally I think if you are going down the NI route then stick with just that for meals as too many changes in food types and regimes could possibly upset the dogs digestive system. It would be a bit like me being a veggie one week then switching to Atkins then eating junk for a week then detoxing - it would probably play havoc with my stomach and how I felt.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
J .. When I was swapping from Origen to NI ... I did the .. What do I want for my dinner ? Scrumminess test !
I gave both dogs a bowl of Origen and NI at the same time, both dogs chose the NI.
Wilf sniffed the Origen then ate the NI, Mable just dived straight into the NI. Cockapoo approved in our house :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts