I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Barf

18K views 202 replies 22 participants last post by  mandy1 
#1 ·
Since BARF and raw feeding is such a hot topic, especially for those of us making or thinking about making the switch thought I'd start up a specific thread.

I called Natural Instinct and placed an order yesterday so 10kg of Natural Instinct Chicken is arriving on Tuesday. I spoke to a lovely lady on the phone when I placed my order who was really helpful. She also said she'll put some free jerky in with the order for Flo to try.

I said I was giving Flo a couple of frozen chicken wings for some meals (about 200g) and she said not to give them completely frozen as the cartilage in the wings would be really brittle. She said to thaw or at least partially thaw them.

I dropped by a local butcher on Friday and picked up two big raw bones Friday
and Flo had her first one today - she has been gnawing on it constantly since 10.00 this morning with no signs of stopping and it is now 1.00pm!

Wilfiboy - Are Wilf and Mabel just on Natural Instinct now with no Orijen kibble meals? Do you do one Natural Instinct and one chicken wing meal each day? How much food are you giving them each day?

Dylansmum - Do let Dylan gnaw away at his bones when he wants or do you only give them certain times. I think Flo will be chewing her bone till midnight if I leave it out!

Cara - let me know how it goes switching Izzy over and will be interesting to here if she has any stomach problems once on raw.

Jukee Doodles - Do you feed your dogs once or twice a day?

Flo has suddenly put on weight since her last check-up and has gone up from 10.7kg to 11.3kg at 15". She doesn't seem (feel) overweight as she is a really stocky/broad build but vet suggested aiming to keep her at 11kg so I'm thinking I'll give her 200g Natural Instinct per day with half about 8am and half about 6pm.

See less See more
#2 ·
I said I was giving Flo a couple of frozen chicken wings for some meals (about 200g) and she said not to give them completely frozen as the cartilage in the wings would be really brittle. She said to thaw or at least partially thaw them.

I dropped by a local butcher on Friday and picked up two big raw bones Friday
and Flo had her first one today - she has been gnawing on it constantly since 10.00 this morning with no signs of stopping and it is now 1.00pm!

Dylansmum - Do let Dylan gnaw away at his bones when he wants or do you only give them certain times. I think Flo will be chewing her bone till midnight if I leave it out!

Flo has suddenly put on weight since her last check-up and has gone up from 10.7kg to 11.3kg at 15". She doesn't seem (feel) overweight as she is a really stocky/broad build but vet suggested aiming to keep her at 11kg so I'm thinking I'll give her 200g Natural Instinct per day with half about 8am and half about 6pm.

That's good to know about the chicken wings - I wouldn't have realised that, although I'm not giving them any more anyway.
Glad to hear that Flo is enjoying her bone!
I leave Dylan's bones out all the time, as they don't seem to go off. They just dry up. But it's entirely up to you. Whatever works best for you. Flo will probably get tired eventually and leave it for a while! Dylan always has a few knocking around the house which he'll gnaw at when he's bored. When there's too many I throw a few away.
I had the same thing with Dylan's weight - I think it was the castration combined with him stopping growing. I went away for a week and noticed that he looked podgy when I got back and he'd put on nearly 2 kilos. As a puppy I was feeding about 360g a day, and I've cut him back to about 220-240g now, split into 2 meals. He's lost half a kilo and weighs 9.5 now. I reckon 9 would be ideal, but he's pretty much ok now.

#3 ·
Nasty picture - this bone chewing thing is going to be difficult for me! Ughhhhhh - but I will get one when the butcher opens on Tuesday and overcome my sillyness. Izzy weighs about 6.3 ks and I am going to give her approx 150g per day eventually. I am going to phase in the NI over a week. The NI web says if you want to phase it give 3/4 daily food kibble in the morning and some NI in the evening. I think Iz will burst if she has so much food in one sitting, but I am going to try. I don't want to switch in one go as she has such a sensitive gut. She also eats nice food far too quickly and I can imagine the NI going in and then coming back out if I try a whole meal to begin with. How exciting, but I keep thinking of negatives - eg I had planned to get a pet passport and take her gite - ing in the future, I guess I would have to make her food from scratch. Kendal what does your kennel do if a dog is a Bark dog? I am sure this will be a busy thread! xx

#5 ·
How exciting, but I keep thinking of negatives - eg I had planned to get a pet passport and take her gite - ing in the future, I guess I would have to make her food from scratch. Kendal what does your kennel do if a dog is a Bark dog? I am sure this will be a busy thread! xx
If you keep one of the insulated boxes from a Natural Instinct delivery, then the food will stay frozen for about 48 hours in that. Assuming you are driving to your gite, you could take 2 or 3 packs with you and pop them back in the freezer when you arrive. Even if the food defrosts a little, it is still safe to refreeze.

#6 ·
i live the bones out to lol but with 4 but maily just Echo and Delta the outer meat is gone in no time.

never had an isure with frozen chiken wings.

dogs eather lose weight when on raw or put it on, it just means their bady is absorbing the right nutrience from the food. just play it by ear if she feels ****** cut her back.

nutered dogs are prone to putting on weight

#7 ·
I just swapped them both straight over, my Orijens had run out so bought some Applaws pouches to tide me over and when the Natural Instincts came I just went for it. I've made a 1kg pack last 3 days so, I suppose that makes it approx 165g each a day and a chicken wing. I feed them about an hour after a walk so often around 11ish then chicken wing between 5 and 6 ... I say between these times it used to be 6 but Mable can start meowing at you from 5 !!! The woman was lovely on the phone was lovely, my order came promtly. We've had no adverse effects..just Mable being able to eat even quicker than normal. Flo looks to be loving her bone .... good luck next week x

#10 ·
When I mentioned BARF to my vet when I first got Flo he threw up his hands in horror and persuaded me against it because he said if she was ever ill they wouldn't be able to rule out diet deficiency and also said she would need worming more often. It's only through finding Natural Instinct that I'm confident enough to get started as the vet put me off.

My packs on Tesco Value chicken wings arrived today with my shopping delivery - quite a shock to realise that human consumption chicken wings are cheaper than some cheap dog kibble! One wing (at 100g) is the perfect size for a meal. For the moment all animal parts (wings, bones etc) are confined to the garden).

Natural Instinct arrives tomorrow - how exciting (but how sad that the highlight of my week will be a raw dog food delivery and an agility lesson) ;)

#12 ·
:D:D:D

When I put my last dog on Barf, my vet practically accused me of abuse, but he lived to 17 and was walking in the park the day he died. He also didn't need to see a vet for the last 5 years of his life, so I figure I had the last laugh. But I too prefer the "respectability" of a balanced vet-approved raw diet like Natural Instinct. They don't treat you quite like an mad person with that! Don't know for sure about the worming. I use Advocate anyway, which also works for most worms, so my vet told me that I only needed to use Drontal every 6 months for roundworm.

#15 ·
Loiuse are you going dry Applaws? At least the rabbit was dead Mandy lol. I dont weigh the chicken wings they just get one a day even though they can vary a great deal in size ... feel a bit mean on the days they are small. Yeh I was excited for my delivery .. shows what an exciting life we lead at least you're going to agility I'll be going to work x

#16 ·
Sadly I am also excited about the delivery tomorrow! I will keep you updated re her tummy, hopefully it will all go OK. Have to face the butcher tomorrow though to get a bone! Also ordered some of the deer antler bits, they sound good and not as messy as bones. Ohhhhhhhh it is nearly as good as waiting for a new frock to arrive from House of Fraser or John Lewis, no such shops here!xx

#17 ·
I felt really awkward going into the butcher but when I asked if he had bones for dogs he fetched a tray out of the freezer as if it was a common request. She has really enjoyed her bone and it isn't all that yucky really. Now she has chewed off all the 'bits' and got the marrow out it is quite clean. She keeps returning to it and is slowly gnawing away at the bone - it must be doing her teeth the world of good. Up to now when she has got bored she has rummaged in the hedges and pulled out a stick which she chews but now her bone is in the garden she is happy to keep returning to it. Flo has just tucked into another wing for her tea - although she polished it off really quickly so she may have swallowed it whole - I'm not prepared to do what Wilfiboy does and hold a raw wing while she tucks in to slow her down.

I must say it is heartening to see Flo have a good gnaw on a bone and I would swear she had a skip in her step when we went for a walk today and looked just a little bit more 'doggy'.

#19 ·
You're getting yours tomorrow as well Cara... ooh exciting ... I think more exciting than getting a frock cos every time you "have" to get a frock its just a reminder that you are no longer a size 10 lol . Im sure Izzy will be fine, its probably easier on her stomach. Look forward to hearing how Flo and Izzy get on. Are you going for it or intruducing it slowly Mandy? x

#20 ·
Just switch straight over as Flo is already having some chicken wing meals and has been just fine. The 'helpful' lady at Natural Instinct said a straight switch is OK with non sensitive dogs but she advises a gradual change for dogs with stomach/skin problems or allergies.

I still have quite a bit of Origen left so will use it as training treats and may give a kibble meal once or twice a week till it's gone then I'll decide whether to give the occasional kibble meal now and again so she can still 'tolerate' kibble. Have you switched Wilf and Mable right over now? Do you plan to use kibble or biscuit based treats at all or are you now a BARF purist??

#22 ·
I just swapped them over when it came Id already run out so bought some Applaws pouches to tide me over.Been using liver cake as a training reward so kibble free here. It feels right .. in time I might even go back to making my own food/ barf patties or maybe do both if they'll tolerate what i make !!! Thats why I went onto kibble in the first place cos Wilf went off it so wait and see... have been googling cook books lol obviously nowt better to do ... good luck tomorrow looking forward to seeing if she likes it, I'm sure she will x

#23 ·
Wow, Karen. That's devotion! I normally find it hard to muster up the energy to cook for my kids.

I haven't thought that much about Applaws, tbh - I've just noted that you guys have been using it, and am going to look into it after I've let Rosie's stomach settle. The JWB puppy food recommends that you switch to Junior food at 6 months and Rosie is already 5 months, so I think I'll phase in the Junior food in the same flavour (am hoping the same brand/flavour won't be too much of a change for her), leave it a couple of months and then try Applaws.

#25 ·
Well it has arrived - looks a bit like hamburger mix. I have partially defrosted one pack and cut it into 50g portions so that I can phase it in over the week. Once the grandual switch is completed I plan to give her 180g a day NI divided into two meals, some horrible looking dry liver treats and bones. She weighs 6.5k and is very active. Looking at the 50g segment I cut, 180g will make two quite small meals. I hadn't thought of continuing some kibble meals, I guess that could be useful and I do have two packs of Burns over half full. I will let you know if she gobbles it up and then looks at me to say 'well where is the rest?' xx

#26 ·
Looking at the 50g segment I cut, 180g will make two quite small meals. I hadn't thought of continuing some kibble meals, I guess that could be useful and I do have two packs of Burns over half full. I will let you know if she gobbles it up and then looks at me to say 'well where is the rest?' xx
I give Dylan about 100-120g x 2 meals as he weighs 9.5 kilos and that is plenty. Didn't realise Iz was so small! Hope she enjoys it.

#29 ·
Think it is quite common - brings out the wolf in them! Never had that from Dylan though - he's really chilled and docile.
But think you should nip it in the bud. You must be able to give and take bones as well as everything else from her. Unless you really think that she will bite you, I'd take it away and put her outside to calm down. Then practice giving it in a really controlled way, making her sit and keep taking it away and giving it back until she chills.
Just one point though - I wouldn't introduce too many new foods at once. If you are giving her her NI today then I would keep the bones a week maybe. You can pop it in the freezer meanwhile. Good luck!

#30 ·
Also try the trade game. when you take something away. give her something else, like her fav toy or something....that way when something is taken away, it doesn't mean it is gone and you get nothing, it just means you might get something else

#31 ·
Phew - traded going upstairs. She calmed down after about half an hour and the remains are now in the bin. I do really think she would have bitten me, she was really snarling at me. I will wait a while before getting another one and try and work out how to manage this - oh she is searching for it! xx

#32 ·
Gosh Izzy the wolf !!! Hope the NI was a little calmer, has she had that yet. Got my bones from butcher today she did nt charge me ... I had to wait until "they'd boned out"...they were stood in the field a coiuple of days ago !! Just during conversation it turns out they can get chicken carcasses... so she's getting me some .. they put them through the mincer for some people... will message Jukee Doodles to see exactly what they do. Hope you got your delivery as well Mandy x

#33 ·
I tend to give bones mostly when I have to go out, so I would give it and then leave the house. If you use a crate you can give it in the crate, or else wherever you leave her when you go out. Alternatively when you are in you could give it to her in the garden and just leave her to it. However in principle I think you should teach her that you are in control until she stops being aggressive with them. The only wierd behaviour I get with Dylan is when he walks around with a bone in his mouth whining endlessly.

#35 ·
I can imagine its already very dry and sometimes even powdery.. what made you stop giving the carcasses? Is the noise him ttrying to find some where to hide it.. Wilf will often hide a pigs ear either inside or out ... it often takes us a while to find them, if he brings them in when they ve been weathered they go in the bin !!!

#40 ·
I think it was laziness as much as anything. It was hard to get them. I switched to necks which the pet shop sold in frozen packs and also gave nature diet packs. The main reason I don't go that route now is partly because I find it easier to give a ready mixed barf diet also because I know it is balanced and has the extra nutrients like salmon oil and kelp. It's just simpler and no hassle and Dylan is happy on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.