I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rosie is nearly six months now and something that I initially ignored as new puppy behaviour, I am starting to worry about now, as it has not gone away.

Basically, Rosie is a barker. Not when I am around her and not at night. It seems to be only when she is left on her own, but she can hear that other things are going on. So, generally in a morning, she will be quiet until she hears me getting up (not my husband - she is used to him getting up first and leaving the hosue without going in to her). Even then, more often than not, she doesn't bark at all and I go straight downstairs and let her out. But then, after breakfast, I put her back in her cage and I go up to get ready. She is quiet until I go in to the kids. And then, as soon as she hears them, she starts barking. Continuously. Until we get downstairs and let her out.

During the day, if we all go upstairs, we put her in her cage and she barks and barks and barks.

And lately, she has been starting to bark in the morning even before I go down to her.

I think that the problem is that I cannot wait until she stops barking before I go downstairs. If I do, then I will be late for work. I tried it once and gave in after ten minutes. She stops barking as soon as she hears me on the stairs - and I think that because she knows this is me coming downstairs to her, this is her reward for barking - she stays quiet if I don't let her out of her cage immediately. So I thnk that simply coming downstairs reinforces the barking, but I can't stay upstairs! Does that make sense? So, I think I can see why it happens, but I just can't work out what to do to break the cycle! During the day, she can bark for a full hour if we are all upstairs (but if we go out, I hear her bark for a minute and then she goes quiet, preusmably until we get home). I tried letting her stay in the kitchen out of her cage for short periods when I go upstairs, but she thows herself against the door and jumps up and grabs things of the side and tears them up.

She is a really well behaved dog apart from that - she still does the puppy jumping up stuff, but we don't have any other real problems with her. Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Does she really still need a cage? They are "velcro dogs" and just want to be near to people, probably you most of all. Would it be a problem if she were allowed to follow you around more?

Maisie sleeps in the kitchen where her bed (no crate) is with a stairgate across the door at night. My husband is up early and lets her out and goes off to work early. He leaves with stairgate blocking the stairs but she is allowed out of the kitchen. She usually hops up on the sofa to snooze until the rest of us are up, and then she is allowed access to the whole house. But she just wants to be where we are so tends to follow us (mostly me) around, or settle down somewhere.

Slightly different for us cos Maisie is now 2 (today!) and Rosie is still a pup. But she may be happier not caged so much.

Just an idea, see what others think. :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does she really still need a cage? They are "velcro dogs" and just want to be near to people, probably you most of all. Would it be a problem if she were allowed to follow you around more?

Maisie sleeps in the kitchen where her bed (no crate) is with a stairgate across the door at night. My husband is up early and lets her out and goes off to work early. He leaves with stairgate blocking the stairs but she is allowed out of the kitchen. She usually hops up on the sofa to snooze until the rest of us are up, and then she is allowed access to the whole house. But she just wants to be where we are so tends to follow us (mostly me) around, or settle down somewhere.

Slightly different for us cos Maisie is now 2 (today!) and Rosie is still a pup. But she may be happier not caged so much.

Just an idea, see what others think. :)
Yeah, that's kind of what I am thinking, but neither my husband nor I want her to be allowed upstairs and my husband doesn't want her out of the kitchen on her own until she is a bit more reliable wee-wise (we've just had a new carpet fitted in the main downstairs area after the old one got covered in puppy wee stains - I know, I know I told him to wait till she was older but he couldn't cope). She's pretty much there with the toilet training, so maybe I need to introduce that idea to him soon and work on getting her out of the kitchen on her own over the next couple of months. She lies in a dog bed during the day when she's not in her cage and the plan always was that, as long as she was happy with it, she would end up using a dog bed rather than the cage (which takes up too much room in our tiny kitchen).

The thing that makes me doubt whether this would work is the way she acts when I leave her shut in the kitchen, but out of her cage. Maybe I just need to do this more often, starting with shorter waits?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yes you could try to leave her out in the kitchen just for short periods - maybe with a Kong to keep her occupied.

It will probably resolve itself as she gets a bit older - she will become more reliably toilet trained and you will feel she can have access to the downstairs. I'm sure you can block the stairs somehow and she will get used to what she's allowed and what she's not allowed. Maybe she will lie in the hall when you are upstairs and wait for you to come down.

Just reward the good and she will get the hang of what you want. Hopefully! :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a weird old cottage - no hall and a door at the bottom of the stairs! So it's actually probably ideal for that, isn't it? I will work on husband first and then work on getting Rosie used to it!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and by reward the good, did you mean give husband beer if he agrees? Cos that is a really good training tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts