I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please advise me on barking my 7 month puppy keeps barking at strangers coming into the house, he does it at first which i accept but he does it non stop!!
I have tried removing him from the room for a few seconds then allow him back in, i have also tried to ignore in hope he would calm down. i have also given my guest treats to try to let him no they give good things.
How do i stop this please help!!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You need to understand why he is doing it to start with, if he is scared you need to work slowly and carefully to help him overcome his worries - that does not mean just giving people treats to give him. Get a good reward based trainer to come round and have a look at what is happening and give you some advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to understand why he is doing it to start with, if he is scared you need to work slowly and carefully to help him overcome his worries - that does not mean just giving people treats to give him. Get a good reward based trainer to come round and have a look at what is happening and give you some advice.
It clearly is because he is scared, I was looking for advice on how to tackle it. Also I didn’t mean just to give a treat, once he nos they are ok he is then fine but it takes him long time to get to this point. My post was asking for advice/help on how to maybe approach, not what I already knew 👍

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
OK - you did not include that you knew he was scared in your first post and some pups will bark from excitement rather than fear so may have been clear to you but was not to me!

Getting people to give dogs treats puts lots of pressure on the dog to take the treat. It is far better to get the people to totally ignore the pup (including not looking at them) and the owner rewarding them for staying calm and at whatever distance they are comfortable at. As they get more comfortable they can start to get closer and investigate the person a little which again is best if the person is totally passive and ignores them. Many people are far too full on for a worried pup so you need calm folk who can let him work it out for himself. As I said before a good reward based trainer can really help you with this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our doggers barked continually for months at something or nothing. A friend suggested getting a tin can and fill it with coins. Shake it when your dog starts barking. Seriously it makes a racket. I shook it twice and magic her barking is mostly over…all I have to do is reach for the can and she stops!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Rattle cans and similar are not something I would use for any dog but with a nervous dog they can make the whole situation an awful lot worse. Dog will still be worried but no longer telling you which increases your chances of a bite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts