I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday there was a man on the roof next door and Tilly really started barking and would not stop. In the end I took her inside. Today the smallest thing will set her of in the garden. We have had her for 2 weeks now and barking has not been a problem. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I guess she was doing her job of warning you that something was wrong and now maybe she is a bit on her guard. I'm afraid I don't know the solution but I would have praised her for the warning then reassured her that it was ok. Hope she calms down again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can't help because Coco will bark at anything and nothing. I'm now trying to train him with saying quite and giving a treat, sort of works. I will follow this tread with interest. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
She is young and should learn to correct her behaviour quite easily. I would try removing her and saying 'quiet' every time she is barking. We also used a hand signal to signify quiet. If you then let her back out and as soon as she barks again, repeat the process. Keep doing this, even if you get thoroughly bored - it will pay off in the end, but you do have to be consistent. If she barks at strange objects you can teach her 'check it out' (sorry for the Americanism, it comes from Victoria working with an American family). You take the dog to the object and say 'check it ou', encourage, praise, reward - again keep doing it and the dog learns. Both these techniques worked for me! Good luck.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I saw something similar to this on 'The Dog Whisperer' . They used diversion techniques distracting the dogs attention by getting down to it's level with very enthusiastic chatting to the dog and giving treats to keep it's attention.

Julia x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts