I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just wondered when is a good age for a puppies first bath????

Gracie is 10 weeks old. She is in fab condition but a little bit smelly downstairs. She is black and white so where she goes for a wee it is a yellow colour and all down the back of her legs. Just wanted to freshen her up really as its not too sightly and a bit pongy.

Is she old enough??

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
we had to bath inca on day one of baving her at 8weeks old. any age is fine she will have had baths with the breeder. as the pups cover themselves on their food. so any age is fine.

oh lol we want bath time photos lol

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you are reluctant to bath, I used to use doggy wipes. They are pretty good for cleaning and de-smelling without the work and trauma of a bath.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Yep sounds like a bath at this point would be good. Get some puppy shampoo and use sparingly. I would get her used to being washed, dried and brushed as much as possible. You could shower her in tepid water any time without using shampoo so she gets used to getting wet. Also put the hair dryer on her sometimes even when dry so she gets used the feel of it and the noise. I get Flo to sit and treat her regularly while blowing her on and off with the drier. Also try and comb her a little every day. You can also put a big towel over her and rub her all over even when dry. That way she will get used to all the different experiences of being bathed and groomed in small manageable bits. I sometimes think it's a bit much if there first experience is wash, shampoo, shower, rub down, dryer and brushing in all in one go. When you first wash her watch out for when you put her down, Flo still goes absolutely nuts - a bit of a mad 10 minutes - when I get her out of the bath. She tears round the house bounding over all the furniture. I think they do it to dry themselves off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We bathed Murphy the day after bringing him home as he smelt a bit doggy. he was fine, but like you said Flo he ran arounf the house like a maniac for about 10 minutes. it was really funny x

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bath was a success.... she wasn't that scared actually. She shivered a bit. I just ran a shallow bath with a bit of shampoo in and sat her in it for 5 mins. Got her a bit wet and washed her bottom. Dried her off with a towel and cuddle after. She did run around the house for a minute or 2 but then just curled up at my feet so I left her to sleep.

Here are a few pics....... she looks so funny when wet!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The bath was a success.... she wasn't that scared actually. She shivered a bit. I just ran a shallow bath with a bit of shampoo in and sat her in it for 5 mins. Got her a bit wet and washed her bottom. Dried her off with a towel and cuddle after. She did run around the house for a minute or 2 but then just curled up at my feet so I left her to sleep.

Here are a few pics....... she looks so funny when wet!!
Ahhh bless her. They look so thin don't they when you are used to seeing them all fluffy. I was so shocked the first time I bathed Flo.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Lovely clean pup, yeh getting her used to it while she's young will stop her being scared in the future. She looks lovely x

·
Registered
6 Posts
poco hated his first bath but when i put him in with my other dog he seemed to not mind it as much and now when i say bath and take his to the tub he will jump in the tub and wait for his bath.. his first bath was the day i got him from the breeder and he is not 5 months old

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Awww look at little Gracie!!! so cute!!! she looks like she did great! i love tub time pics

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
It depends on the pup and the shampoo, if they get dry skin...it's too much. I do it about every 3-4 weeks other pups on here get a weekly bath, and others every few months. depends alot on you. I would say more than 1 a week is tooooo much!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
see im still not sure about this, i know that 'Lo is bathed and blow dried every week which keeps her coat in lovely condition, but iv had it drilled into me for years that doing that you risk drying out the skin, so im still scared of bathing more thn every couple of weeks. my lot were last bath just over a week and a half ago i think now, so im debating weather or not to bath them this week.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
oh i did know a rescue Cavilear who was bathed every day sometimes twice a day because his owner had sevear OCD, he had no coat on his body when the rescue got him and it took his new owner months to get him to asept being brushed or groomed in any way. so that was defonetly way to mush poor boy.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Awww poor boy.....Kendal like you I was always told you can bathe them too much...which is why I only do it evey 3-4 weeks. I am sure you can tell by their coat and skin if it is just too much

1 - 20 of 29 Posts