I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling bad enough about putting Beau through an operation today but have just had a lecture of a "friend" on facebook who said Beau is far too young at 6 months to be spayed!! After all the research I have done and finally coming to a decision to do it pre-season I am now doubting that I am doing the right thing! Should have stayed off facebook I suppose! :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't worry, I've been wondering what to do with Poppy, (still haven't decided). Best thing is listen to you vet. I'm sure they wouldn't Spay Beau if they thought they were to young. But I can imagine how you feel. Beau will be absolutely fine :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Oh Ali, I just saw on another thread that Beau was going in today. I know you've agonised over this (I will be too in a couple of months), but you've done loads of research, and taken the advice of your vet, that's the absolute best you can do for Beau. You know that there is no definitive right/wrong time to do it, but everyone agrees that it should be done. I'm sure she'll be fine, trust your own judgement, you know her and love her best. Let us know how she's doing later :hug: to Beau, and you and Madeleine x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Good luck Beau. You are doing the right thing for Beau and if she was too young, your vet wouldn't do the op. I waited til Betty had had her first season as that is what my vet prefers but part of me wishes i had done it before. Don't be surprised if it takes a few days for Beau to seem back to herself, it took Betty 6 days to seem back to anywhere near normal, as i was expecting her to bounce back quickly like lots of people's dogs did.

xx

·
Registered
390 Posts
There is lots of differing opinion on this and from what I can make out there is no right or wrong. Their are pros and cons with both options, ur friend should be more supportive. I'm sure all will go well and there are many pups getting done at this age with no probs. Try not worry too much. Easier said than done I'm sure. Emma x

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind messages! Madeleine and I have a rota set up so Beau isn't left on her own for the next few days and of course a trip to the pet shop whilst Beau is at the vet's is a must according to Madeleine! Will post later when we have picked her up! X

G

·
you will be very surprised at how quickly they recover and are up and running around as if nothing has happened ,dont worry she will be fine i have them spayed all the time and all ages especially if a bitch has a c section DEFINATLY no puppies after one of those

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hope everything goes well today.
I've been reading up as much as I can about the pro's and cons of pre- season vs post season spaying and I can't see that there is a definite answer. I think I even read on here somewhere that someone had got to the 'toss of a coin' way of deciding. I'm sure that'll be me when it comes to Kippers turn!
Anyway, I'll be thinking of Beau and you today and waiting to hear how she is.
Good luck
Pip X

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi Ali
I know how you feel, I had Millie done less than 4 weeks ago. I was happy to have to spayed at 6 1/2 months before her first season. Is your friend on FB a vet or an expert on spaying dogs??? ;):p She's just voicing her opinion a little too loudly.

You do what you and your vet think is best. Cockapoos seems to be very healthy little dogs and small dogs are fully grown sooner than large dogs. That may have something to do with the vets decision. But I'm only guessing.

The only thing I will warn you about (and this was because my vet didn't), was some dogs do take a while to recover. Many are full of beans within a day or two, but Millie took longer and it really worried me. Looking back, I was just being a worrying mum, something I'm good at!. But I wished someone had said, some puppies can be knocked for six. Millie was just washed out for about a week (I posted a thread on it at the time).

Beau will sleep a lot in the first couple of days, just the body recovering itself.:)

Just for you, here's a picture of Millie post op that evening. I chose the baby grow rather than the collar :D

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Really feel for you and Madeleine, you feel bad enough without being criticised. Peoples opinions are always going to differ but maybe should nt voice them unless asked and if your opion is different then it does nt need voicing so loudly.
She'll be home soon... but like Millie, Mable was out of it for about a week and then back to normal after that, she was nt ill, in herself she was fine but kept herself quiet which was good really as they are nt supposed to jumping etc. I spent 4/5 days sat on a quilt on the floor with her :D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Julie and Karen, Millie and Mabel sound like Betty was as she took 6 days to get back to normal and then overnight was totally back to her usual self but i had 5 days of her not getting up at all, even cooking sausages or throwing her tennis ball would not move her and i was getting seriously worried as everyone was saying she'll be fine in 48 hours which many dogs are but i like people to realise that if it takes their dog longer to recover then this is normal too!!!

Hopefully Beau will be home soon as i collected Betty at 4.30pm ish.

x

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello everyone and a big thank you to all of you as have really appreciated the kind, supportive words from you all unlike my so called friend or should I say ex-friend lol! Our vet was excellent and told me that I had made the best decision for Beau's sake. The vet's nurse rang at 11am to say she had the operation and had come round after it but they wanted to keep her until middle of the afternoon to make sure she is recovering well. We went to collect her (can see the vet's surgery from my window so not far to go) and could hear a dog howling and they said it was Beau as she didn't like being left in the room on her own :( She came out with one of the awful collars on and I remembered how everyone on here said about the baby grows being a good thing so whilst Madeleine sat cuddling Beau I went to Sainsburys and bought her a lovely bright pink one and another with flowers on - Madeleine is very happy that Beau is in pink :) Beau is looking so much happier not having the collar on! I love the photo of Millie in her baby grow as just looks like a darker version of Beau. Thank you also to everyone who has warned me that Beau may take longer than the 2 to 3 days the nurse said she would recover in as this has reassured Madeleine too who I know would be really worried if Beau hadn't recovered completely by then! Posted below is a picture of Beau with her baby grow on :D Thank you all once again your help, support and advice as always has been invaluable :D XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Ali

Good to hear that Beau is home safe and sound and hope that she makes a speedy recovery - lots of cuddles over the next few days.

She looks absolutely adorable in the babygro :) Keep us updated with how it's all going and love to Beau from Biscuit. Best wishes, Karen x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
awww bless her she looks so adorable in her pink baby vest.:)

It will all be okay- to be honest Ali the worst is usually by day 2 or 3 then they are usually back to normal and bouncing about and then the hard work begins trying to keep them from going cockapoo crazy :D:D

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Ahhh she looks glad to be home, lots of TLC for little Beau, good luck to you all over the next few days, hugs and kisses x

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh bless her! She looks scrumptious .......and just a wee bit sorry for herself in that babygrow! Beau is a very pretty Cockapoo. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Karen x

1 - 20 of 207 Posts