I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are so happy with our new puppy, Bess. She is full of fun, good in the car, eating well (v interested in Maisie's food too!). We are all besotted with her.

Last night she whimpered for 5 mins in the crate then settled .......we ignored whimpering in the early hours as planned ....but what we hadn't counted on Maisie joining in by barking! :eek: It was alternate whimpering and barking (sometimes both) for a long time. I held out and left them to it and Chris went down at 5:30 and stood on lawn with Bess, but nothing .... she'd already done it in the crate.

So I am undecided ....should I leave them to it to get used to it, or should I go down and put Bess outside for wee/poo and try to settle Maisie down. Chris think I would be making a rod for my back by doing this.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Sue x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh Sue sounds familiar ... when we got Mable she whimpered for a couple of minutes when we put her in her crate the first night and then stopped .... but Wilf carried on crying until 2.30, I think he whimpered a little the second night and then he was ok. I think like your husband said I'd sit it out, I know its not the same situation but Maisie will probably get where she does nt react... if you go then Maisie might start to call for you as well... good luck x

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh thanks so much. I am softer than Chris, maybe its a female thing, but its horrid listening to crying and barking.

Anyway, last night was much better .....not a peep out of either of them till about 5:45am when Bess started to whimper. I came down shortly after but she had just done wee/poo in crate ....will try to be quicker next time!

A much better night though. You were right, it was best to leave them. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Glad you had a slightly better night Sue. It's such a new situation for both of them, including little Maisie. They'll get there very soon. Hang on in there! How are Bess and Maisie getting on together generally?

Karen x

·
Registered
93 Posts
Easier said than done but not giving in is the easiest thing. Oscar goes through the night now but his body clock wakes him up at six each morning.
:(

Its earlier than we'd like to get up but he's ready "for the garden!" and we know that before too long he'll be sleeping longer :)

Just a thought, but at night time Oscar is in his crate in the kitchen and Dexie sleeps in our room, or on the landing. She can't get anywhere near him at night. Could you separate them so there isn't any sympathetic woofing??

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I know what you mean ... its like listening to a baby cry it pulls at your heart strings. Its a hard one, Mable at one point cried at 7.00 and if we had nt got time in time she'd weed in her crate so we decided to get up at 6.30 so that she was nt getting rewarded for crying and that she would nt have an accident .....then she started crying just before 6.30. Its a learning curve... you just know that eventually your going to have another house trained doggie whose Maisies buddy x

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you had a slightly better night Sue. It's such a new situation for both of them, including little Maisie. They'll get there very soon. Hang on in there! How are Bess and Maisie getting on together generally?

Karen x
Thanks Karen. Maisie and Bess took to each happily initially, but I think Maisie now knows Bess is here to stay and is acting a little put out! I'm sure they'll sort it out, and I am looking forward to taking them out together. Bess is fully vaccinated so can go out ......just trying to get her used to her collar then will bite the bullet so to speak.

I will put pics on soon. x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts