I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've been reading through a lot of the posts and knew I had to post something! I am about to move in to a new apartment and start a new job and I knew this would be the perfect time to get a new puppy, while I have a few weeks to stay home with him and start the training process.

I have narrowed down my search to three different puppies and at this point my biggest concern is how to know that the current owners are doing a good job with the puppies before I pick them up. Can anyone provide me with some questions to ask the current owners (living conditions, shots, de-worming, certifications, docked tails, etc) so that I know the puppy I bring home will be in the best condition possible. Luckily the three puppies I found are not far from my current house, so driving to look at the puppies is definitely a possibility. However, I know that once I see one of the puppies I am going to fall in love. So hopefully a Q/A with the owners can help me narrow down my search.

Based on some of the posts, I've figured out what type of supplies I need to have before bringing the puppy home (bed, crate, dishes, toys, leash/collar), but my biggest issue is finding the ideal crate size. I know they need to have enough room to turn around comfortably and sleep and feel safe, but not TOO much room. All of my potential puppies will be between 8-15lb full grown so I can't figure out if I should get a small or medium size crate. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for any tips you can give me. I had a dog when I was growing up but I was pretty young when he was a puppy so this whole process is veryyy new to me!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi - oooh exciting, and well done you for doing a bit of research into it before you go. You're much better than me - I just went, and fell in love. Probably the worst way to get a puppy, but luckily, we got a good one.

There was a really good thread on this subject recently (I seem to remember a very good post by Ennierda toward the end of the thread), which I hope this link will take you too:

http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=1113

Let us know how you get on!

Louise

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have narrowed down my search to three different puppies and at this point my biggest concern is how to know that the current owners are doing a good job with the puppies before I pick them up. Can anyone provide me with some questions to ask the current owners (living conditions, shots, de-worming, certifications, docked tails, etc) so that I know the puppy I bring home will be in the best condition possible. Luckily the three puppies I found are not far from my current house, so driving to look at the puppies is definitely a possibility. However, I know that once I see one of the puppies I am going to fall in love. So hopefully a Q/A with the owners can help me narrow down my search.
(taken from a site and edited)

Visit the breeder's home or kennel. The premises should be clean and smell good. Avoid breeders who have large numbers of dogs and puppies kept in kennels or runs. This could be a puppy mill masquerading as a breeder.

Ask to see the whole litter and both parents. The animals should look healthy and well-fed, with no runny eyes or noses. Both parents should be calm and friendly, some barking is ok but no shyness, over barking, snapping ect. The puppies should be sociable and outgoing. They shouldn't appear to be afraid of the breeder.

Ask lots of questions!

Turner says a good breeder should:
Be very knowledgeable about the breed. The breeder should know all the standards of the breed, the temperament of the breed, and should patiently answer all your questions.

Ask you several questions about yourself, your lifestyle, and your family situation. The breeder may ask to meet your entire family. Good breeders want to make sure their animals are placed in loving, responsible homes. They will go to great lengths to ensure this.

Be concerned about the animal for a lifetime. They may ask you to sign a contract, specifying your responsibility in taking good care of your new dog. Expect a good breeder to follow up on how the animal is doing, even after you've taken the pet home. Answer questions, even after you've taken the pet home.

Keep puppies tell their eight weeks old.

Provide references. A good breeder will provide as many references as you ask for, willingly. It's also a good idea to ask for a veterinary reference, too.

Here's what you should ask.

Health history of the puppies and parents. Ask whether the parents been screened for typical diseases associated with their breed. (Eye problems and slipped stifle in the cockapoo)

What color the pup should mature into, and the size range it should stay in.

A "USDA Inspected" breeder does mean good breeder, Turner points out. The USDA certification requires adherence to minimum standards, based on the Animal Welfare Act. The standards are largely intended for commercial breeding.

Based on some of the posts, I've figured out what type of supplies I need to have before bringing the puppy home (bed, crate, dishes, toys, leash/collar), but my biggest issue is finding the ideal crate size. I know they need to have enough room to turn around comfortably and sleep and feel safe, but not TOO much room. All of my potential puppies will be between 8-15lb full grown so I can't figure out if I should get a small or medium size crate. Any suggestions?
The biggest size you can fit. All crate come with dividers, so you can shrink to the proper size for house training. Think about what size of room you'd like to spend a few hours in every few days. The biggest one right? Your pup thinks the same way, once it's house training why not give it room to stretch and play?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
weez74- Thanks for the link to the thread. I definitely got some tips on which type of puppies to keep my eye out for!

Enneirda- That info was soo helpful!! Definitely going to compile a list of questions to ask

Based on the three breeders I spoke with, one really stuck out to me because of their willingness to disclose important information about the puppy's health whereas some of the others seemed to be unaware of some of the important facts.

I scheduled a visit and am going to on Friday. They have a chocolate male that I'm really interested in so hopefully all goes well and within the week I'll be able to bring him home....I've already chosen a name: Dexter! Sooo excited, will keep you posted and post pictures if I take any :)

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Dexter cute name....hopefully unlike the show character. I think it is a really adorable name for a pup!
Good luck, I can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Glad they turned out ok, good luck with your search be assertive when talking to them, you know what you want, hope all goes successfully on Friday and you can welcome Dexter home soon x

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I thought that Buzz and Yum-Yum (our two) were on the larger side of things - but following Poo Fest '11 they were in the mid-range - then take into account the amount of fluff they both have then when wet they are small !

Ours range from 12" fully grown through to 19" (perhaps from Lucy) - though our average size would be 14"- 15".

Stephen x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi.

Having done loads of research recently for getting my future Cockapoo I just wanted to add some points to this thread for future puppy buyers.
Firstly decide what sort of Cockapoo you would like, an English or American Crossed with a Toy or Miniature Poodle. This might actually change as you are doing your research! The three Cocker Spaniels are different sizes, have different coats and different personality traits. They all produce lovely dogs. :)

• Have a look at a wide range of breeders, call them up and ask lots of questions and go and visit where possible.

Questions to ask

• What health tests have their dogs had? Ask to see the certificates.

• If they are KC registered parents ask to see proof.

• How often do they breed their bitches?

• How old were their bitches when they were first bred?

http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/breedguidelines.htm

• Make sure you see mum and dad where possible but always ensure you see the mum.

• Puppies should not leave their mum 8 weeks or after.

• What will you get with your puppy? Most breeders offer micro-chipping, food, 1 month insurance, first vaccinations and a blanket or toy smelling of the litter.

• What after care is there? Will they still support you if needed? A good breeder will insist that you return the puppy to them if things don’t work and will probably have a contract.

• What are the temperaments of the parents?

• Are the puppies used to be handled and the normal hustle and bustle of a house?

As a Cockapoo is a cross between two pedigrees I would recommend that you look at the Kennel Club descriptions of each breed and also the Breed Clubs themselves. They are the experts on the individual breeds of dog and give great advice on what to look for. This will help you greatly when looking at the parent dogs.

http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/index.htm
http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/
http://www.miniaturepoodleclub.org.uk/
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk

Join a forum or two and get fabulous advice from other Cockapoo owners! If you see pictures of dogs that you like, don’t be afraid to ask the owners where they got their puppy from, Cockapoo owners are a lovely bunch and always happy to share! :)

I am sure that you will all have points to add to this! ;)

Sarah

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I thought that Buzz and Yum-Yum (our two) were on the larger side of things - but following Poo Fest '11 they were in the mid-range - then take into account the amount of fluff they both have then when wet they are small !

Ours range from 12" fully grown through to 19" (perhaps from Lucy) - though our average size would be 14"- 15".

Stephen x
Hi Stephen,

I met three of your Cockapoos at the weekend in St. Albans. Love at first sight :love-eyes:!

One of them was Rufus owned by Karen who also has baby Basil (a.k.a 'Dishwasher'. How big is Rufus in comparison to your average do you know? Marcus (my boyfriend) sais something along the lines of, 'that's a man-sized dog' lol!

Turi x

·
Registered
47 Posts
how small, american toy will be the smallest, at around 13-14" tall, have you tried breeders online, epupz, pets4homes etc
Hi, I'm looking now at old threads to see if I can find the right breeder for us. I've looked through Breeders Online and will start calling the breeders (the email function isn't working on my computer:(..

I looked at epupz and pets4homes but can't seem to search for "Cockapoo" in the breed list - do you know how?

Also you mention etc ... which ones would you recommend :)..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I can send you a few links to the larger breeder websites that people on here have bought cockapoos from, but smaller breeders don't always have their own websites & tend to go through the other sites you have mentioned...

http://anzilcockapoo.com/default.aspx
http://www.jukeedoodles.com/
http://www.jandaz.co.uk/
http://essexcockapoos.co.uk/
http://www.pinetreecockapoo.co.uk/
http://www.marleycockapoos.co.uk/
http://www.colnevalleycockerpoos.com/index.html

Hope that helps for some of the bigger links I saved into my favourites to look at.

You could also try looking on sites like preloved as many cockapoo litters are advertised on sites like that & you just type cockapoo/cockerpoo into the search bar (always try both incase some spell it differently)

Good luck!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Hi, I'm looking now at old threads to see if I can find the right breeder for us. I've looked through Breeders Online and will start calling the breeders (the email function isn't working on my computer:(..

I looked at epupz and pets4homes but can't seem to search for "Cockapoo" in the breed list - do you know how?

Also you mention etc ... which ones would you recommend :)..

Thanks
for epupz and pets for homes i think you need to look under cocker or poodle for the cockapoos.

do you know what kind of cockapoo you are after, i have 3 English minis and an american mini. are you after a boy or a girl, do you have a colour in mind

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Laura and Kendal,

That's great Laura, I've contacted some of those and will do the rest today.

Kendal, I think we will go for the Show/working x Mini - I like that size.

I think we've found a breeder we like... I actually met one of her puppies on a walk in Stevenage Lakes and the owners really liked her. She lives only an hour away and we're going to visit in two Saturdays. Her name is Sharon and lives in Wisbech, Cambs. Have you heard of her?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just contact Colne Valley and Joe seems positive about having a litter ready for early 2012. Will find out more next week.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
It's not a problem :)
Glad I could help with some that I know :D
I hope you find the right breeder!
Do you know whether you're swaying towards working or show cockers yet?
That should really help your search as different breeders breed with different cockers & that would then rule certain breeders out (if you have a preference of course - you may not mind either way).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just talking with my friend who is a dog trainer and she gave me some excellent advice on picking a puppy (if you get to pick from the litter or if you only have a couple to pick from). Its called the Volhard Test (PAT - Puppy Aptitude Test). It looks like it was created by researchers to pick the best dogs for Guide Dogs at an early age (at 49 days - 7 weeks). Check it out ... http://www.volhard.com ... it may be hard to do the whole test exactly how it is supposed to be done, but you could do as much of it as possible and get an idea of the best puppy for your family.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts