I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever we try to brush Benny, he tries to bite and get to the brush. How can we keep him calm and/or distracted while brushing him, so we can brush him? He usually doesn't mind when we do his back, but when we try to do his underside, legs, neck, etc. he starts trying to get the brush. Any help with this would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
what has your groomer said. Will he lie on his back for a tummy rub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE

this video may help you, it is more to do with cutting the dogs nails, but it may help with brushing his legs.

or you could try brushing him when he is sleepy, or start off by just playing with the fur on his legs when he is sleeping.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Benny loves tummy rubs! He loves being pet all over actually. It's just the brush he hates. We usually have to put him on something he doesn't want to be on (like a table) to get him to stay still.

I'll look at that video and see what it has to say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you should probley switch the brush then because my dog even use t do that same thing so i switched to a brush thaths very soft bristles it kind of looks like the bristelys you find on a tooth brush but bigger it realy worked when i started using that

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cocoa doesn't really like being brushed either... I used to wait until later on at night so that he would be sleepy & he would stay while I brushed him. I think eventually he got used to the idea, because now I can brush him pretty much any time of day & he will stay for me. When I am done brushing him, I give him a doggy breath mint, which he loves. :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Cocoa doesn't really like being brushed either... I used to wait until later on at night so that he would be sleepy & he would stay while I brushed him. I think eventually he got used to the idea, because now I can brush him pretty much any time of day & he will stay for me. When I am done brushing him, I give him a doggy breath mint, which he loves. :)
always a good plan, that what we did with all our girls when they were pups so the would be used to us clipping their nails.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dexter hates the brush too and tries to bite it so we were thinking of switching to the mitt kind of brush so it feels like he is being pet. I will let you know if it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts