I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Bess to the vet as she's been coughing and gagging a bit today ... vet said its kennel cough and has given me antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, she has a mild fever. Apparently its very contagious and is airbourne (incubation period is 1 week). She must have caught it while out walking ... so its quite likely that Maisie will get too. She said to keep them away from other dogs a week after the cough has gone ... that's a big nuisance as Maisie has 2 walks a week with other dogs (I work 2 days).

Oh well ... its just part of dog ownership! Vet did say I could give Benylin and I forgot to ask how much .... does anyone know or have any experience of this?

Thanks, Sue

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cannot help with the Benylin question but wishing Bess a speedy recovery x We had the nose drops for kennel cough as part of our puppy pack with the vet, but I believe there are many strains of it so is not a guarantee! Have lots of puppy pamper time together x

·
Registered
242 Posts
poor baby! :( ive heard that about benylin too so i would be interested to know how much and is it kids or adults benylin?? :confused: hope she gets well soon! xx

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi Sue - I have just searched the threads and found that someone was giving 2.5mls of Benylin though didn't say how often! Kendal knows about giving Benylin as she was saying how good it is so hopefully she will either read this thread or you could private mail her. I hope Bess is soon better and that Maisie doesn't get it! Hugs to you all :D X

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
at the kennels when we had an our brake during the summer a year and a half ago (took us the full summer to get rid of it as we are a boarding kennel and had dogs coming and going even though we were trying to get people to cancel) we always gave the dogs a 5ml seringe of the adult one but it was mostly biger dogs we had in so maybe half that but you could always get child one .

you could have saved yourself money at the vets and just got the benylin, antibyotics do nothing at this stage.

hope she is better soon.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we always gave the dogs a 5ml seringe of the adult one but it was mostly biger dogs we had in so maybe half that but you could always get child one .

you could have saved yourself money at the vets and just got the benylin, antibyotics do nothing at this stage.
Thanks Kendal. I just called the vet re the Benylin and you are right - Child Benylin for a puppy.

The vet had said its both viral and bacterial and the antibiotic would help the bacterial part ... will just have to take their advice. I guess I won't know if its the antibiotic, anti-inflammatory or Benylin that helps, but hope it goes soon. :(

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh Sue, Bess is working her way through a checklist isn't she?! Wasp sting ....check; Kennel Cough .....check.....!

I hope she improves soon and that Maisie doesn't get it.

Karen x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Sue sorry to hear about your little Bess... sending her a hug

Great advice Kendal .. I will make a note of that .. just in case xxx

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ah Sue what a shame, they sound so funny when they cough though! Maisie might not get it, Izzy's best friend has had it twice and she hasn't caught it from him on either occasion despite repeated close contact before the cough actually started. Big hugs to Bess. A big glass of wine should help her mummy xx

G

·
sue one thing is it is not life threatening ,it is just the same as when we get winter coughs , some dogs wont catch it have a good immunity and there are lots of differant types linked to bordatella they do say there is a link to us giving it the dog and like wise benelyn teaspoonful x 2 a day will help but they usually get over it antibiotics are the first thing vets give but do not help the cough just the infection if it goes to the chest once they get it they usually dont get it again , you can immunise against it but they can still get it in mild form janice p.s. she will get better dont worry

·
Registered
532 Posts
Took Bess to the vet as she's been coughing and gagging a bit today ... vet said its kennel cough and has given me antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, she has a mild fever. Apparently its very contagious and is airbourne (incubation period is 1 week). She must have caught it while out walking ... so its quite likely that Maisie will get too. She said to keep them away from other dogs a week after the cough has gone ... that's a big nuisance as Maisie has 2 walks a week with other dogs (I work 2 days).

Oh well ... its just part of dog ownership! Vet did say I could give Benylin and I forgot to ask how much .... does anyone know or have any experience of this?

Thanks, Sue
Hi there. Oh isn't it horrible? My vet gave me £120 worth of injections and antibiotics and all you need is Benylin! But we live and learn. Get the children age 3 to 6 years and I used a teaspoon morning and night and it works perfectly
Hope this helps... Oh sorry it's the chesty cough one
X

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there. Oh isn't it horrible? My vet gave me £120 worth of injections and antibiotics and all you need is Benylin! But we live and learn. Get the children age 3 to 6 years and I used a teaspoon morning and night and it works perfectly
Hope this helps... Oh sorry it's the chesty cough one
X
Thanks Debi, that does help.

£120 ... wow that's a lot of money to treat a cough!! I was charged £49 for medicine and vet time.

I think I've bought the wrong Benylin then ... will do a swap later! Bess still has a great appetite but is a little quieter ... having 1 walk a day instead of 2. By the way, are you around 9th October by any chance for the Surrey Meet ... would be good to see you and Pushca. :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. Gave Bess some Benylin today in a syringe designed for babies .... she loved it!

She's definitely more subdued than usual ... plays for a while then flakes out. Puppies are very like toddlers!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I haven't got my OCT roster yet but would love to come meet you do as soon as I can, I'll come to meet you
X

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hope Bess is over it soon.
Suprised my two have not got it with all the dog contact over the last few weeks at flyball.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts