I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got Bella, the breeder gave us Pedigree puppy complete and although she did eat it at meal times, she didnt seem fussed by it or rush to eat when we gave it to her.
Recently when the food had run out we started to give her Bakers complete and she seemed to wolf it down. But we've noticed Bella seems to have become a bit more hyperactive in the last few weeks (she's 13 weeks now) and I'm wondering if it could partly be to do with the dog food, as I have read a few bad reviews about Bakers:(

What do you find is the best dry dog food? Are there ones that are both nutritious and tasty for your puppy?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I had a dog trainer who told me that she found Bakers to be the worst food for hyperactivity. She described dogs fed on it as "bouncing off the walls"! I think it is high in carbs. The best dry foods are those that follow a natural regime and are approx 80% meat, with no grains or artificial additives. If you look at the ingredients of the natural holistic dry foods, I think that Orijen looks by far the most impressive, but is obviously a premium price. Other than that, you could look at Applaws, Arden grange, James Wellbeloved or any other holistic foods and compare the ingredients. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Just bought Orijens after reading good reports on here and then reading up about it .. it is more expensive but if you want to give your dog a good diet its 75/80% naturally soursed meat and 20% friut and veg without grains or fillers. Its only day one and Im introducing it slowly with my old food though Im sure they'd be fine Im just tight and dont want to waste what I've already got ... so I dont know how they will behave .. all I know is when it was delivered they were both very interested in the box and then the bags inside it obviously smells delish. It has won best dog food for last couple of years have a read. I would feed Barf ( bones and raw food) but it is messy to make and Wilf went off it at one point although they still have bones occaisionally and a chicken wing a day. Helens food looks great (Dylansmum) if you fancy raw food. As an alternative prior to me just buying Orijens mine had Barking Heads which is made up of natural ingredients.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've also heard bad reports about Bakers. Alf was on pedigree dry food when we got him but I wanted him on a good quality dry food. Our local pet shop recommended James well beloved as its one of the ones which has a high meat content and is hyperallergenic, free from artificial additives and colourings. Apparently Bakers is one of the worst for additives especially artificial colourings and has quite a low meat content. It could be contributing to how hyper Bella is. (as well as the fact she is 13 weeks old!:D)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I've just switched to Orijen because it is the best dry food and follows the 'biologically appropriate' principle of meat/fruit/veg and no carbs/fillers/grains.

The supplier I brought it from also said it is the best dry food but did agree it was expensive. She did say that the manufacturer is about to introduce a premium food along the same lines but at a lower price so that might be one to watch for if cost is a constraint.

The dog trainer I use recommends Burns dry food and Nature Diet wet food. I've always mixed a little Nature Diet with Flo's kibble to keep her interested and use 1 box per week and a different flavour each week. I cut it into cubes and freeze them then defrost 1 cube for each meal that I mash with a little water then add her kibble too.

She used to be a really reluctant eater but loves what she has now. Orijen smells great when you open the bag and Flo was jumping about all over the place when she got a whiff.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
get her off the bakers and Ped, they are no.1 and 2 on the list of foods that make dogs go nutty. while JW is owned by the company that make Ped it is still one of the better brands.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Mandy I was wondering what Flo thought...mine could smell it through the box (ordered it off tinternet) x
She went bonkers when I opened the bag and even I (veggy) thought it smelt great. She's still only on 25%O and 75%JW as I need to use the JW up but I'm really pleased I'm switching her over.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Never mind it smells nice we cant afford to eat it ourslves lol x
Funny that we go to such lengths to feed our dog the absolute best, no rubbish, 'biologically appropriate' diet but eat 'rubbish' ourselves (chocs, crisps, wine etc etc etc) now if I could just feed myself on berries, nuts, fruit and veggies I'd be as fit and as lean as my dog :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Arden Grange

We use Arden Grange as it only contains natural ingredients. You only have to look at Bakers Complete to see that its full of rubbish. Why the need to make the food bright and colourful. It's designed to make us humans think it looks nice. Your dog won't care what colour it is. However the additives and colours put in will make them hyper.
The likes of Arden Grange are a little more expensive but if you buy in bulk the difference is fairly minimal

·
Registered
188 Posts
get her off the bakers and Ped, they are no.1 and 2 on the list of foods that make dogs go nutty. while JW is owned by the company that make Ped it is still one of the better brands.
Thats interesting Kendal I didn't know was owned by same company!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Funny that we go to such lengths to feed our dog the absolute best, no rubbish, 'biologically appropriate' diet but eat 'rubbish' ourselves (chocs, crisps, wine etc etc etc) now if I could just feed myself on berries, nuts, fruit and veggies I'd be as fit and as lean as my dog :D
Berries and nuts my personal favourite :D

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Thats an idea we can double up as a weight loss forum ... save money on classes and might make me stick to it if I had to post humiliating progress pics x

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Thats an idea we can double up as a weight loss forum ... save money on classes and might make me stick to it if I had to post humiliating progress pics x
LOL! too funny...but so not in on the pics! lol.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts