I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, many of you will know that Betty has always been an itchy dog, after a lot of different failed kinds of medications and intradermal skin testing which was inconclusive we had Betty's blood taken for allergy testing...and the results are in!!
According to my vet scores are between 0-3000, with anything over 150 being considered an allergic reaction and over 300 being a significant allergic reaction...
Well, Betty has scored just over 1300 for three different kinds of house dust mite and just over 300 for three different kinds of common grasses...so she can't win if she is inside or out poor thing!!

I have agreed with the vet to go down the desensitising route - which means Betty will receive regular injections of what she is allergic to in the hope that she will build up some immunity to them ... the process is very slow and can take up to a year to see any results. Results are not guaranteed and the success rate is around 70-80% but as Betty is very young he is quite hopeful.

So although not good news it feels good to know for sure what is causing the
problem and hopefully starting on a path to give her some relief!!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
That's great news Colin! Obviously not for Betty but at least you know there is a real reason for her itchiness, poor thing. It must be such a relief to have a plan of action and you can now get started on helping Betty. She has a top Daddy!! And little brother too now :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Great news!! Kassia is allergic to grass pollen and when we go for walks in long grass i water down some malaseb and spray it on her feet and between her pads,toes etc to give her a bit of protection.Keep us posted xxx

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Great news Colin. Must be a relief to know what's causing the problem and to be able to do something to help. I guess a hard floor area (instead of carpet) would be an ideal place for her bed then, and vet bed is easy to wash and dry.:)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Colin, I'm so pleased that you have at last got to the cause of Betty's itching & that there is the possibility of treatment. Keeping everything crossed that there is improvement in the itchiness :) X

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am glad that you have got to the bottom of it at last Colin. Maybe she was slightly better here because of the hard floors then. Fingers crossed that this works, it all sounds very positive. :) xx
I am now convinced of it Sarah..our experiment was really worth while as it has all helped build a picture... eternally grateful to you xx

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Colin, fantastic news that you've made some progress! :jumping: I know much you have worried about it. So...time to rip up the carpets or are you going to try the treatment first?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Colin, fantastic news that you've made some progress! :jumping: I know much you have worried about it. So...time to rip up the carpets or are you going to try the treatment first?
Good question...it would be so much easier if the carpets weren't only a couple of years old!! We are just about to have an extension built which will have hard wood floors and the dogs will spend a lot of time in there and possibly sleep , kitchen and hallway ( where Betty currently sleeps) are tiled so may just see how this combined with the treatment goes first bit if I have to I will!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.