I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, back with Betty from the vets. The first test they did was with histamine which should (and did) provoke the biggest reaction...to make sure the tests are working the second test they do was with Saline which SHOULD show NO reaction..you've guessed it..Betty showed a reaction:eek: This means that everything else they tested her for would also show a reaction ( which it did) however there were a couple of things that provoked a bigger reaction than others, those being house dust mites, tree pollen and grass pollen. The vet said it was strange though as it is not the time for pollen:confused::confused:
The vet said she is very likely just to have extremely sensitive skin and could simply be reacting to the needle!!
He feels that Betty's allergies are still developing and more time is required to get more conclusive results. To give her relief in the meantime he has prescribed Atopica (non steroid drug) and a fairly new spot on fatty acid treatment. He said it will take a couple of weeks to kick in and he we have to go back in three weeks to see how things are progressing..
The good news ( I have to look for some!) is that because Betty's coat is quite long at the moment it covers quite a bit of the patch ( Bobby Charlton comb over stylee)..which is better than last time we had to have a 'patch'...a few photo's below.. the first one is after she was attacked as a 12 week pup and the others are from today..

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Poor Betty, I really hope that the treament she has been given offers some relief. Loving the 'comb over' you can hardly see her bald bit. ;) Sending hugs to you and Betty. x

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Oh Colin, poor you. And poor Betty. Will keep my fingers and toes crossed that the drugs that the vet has prescribed do the trick!

Just told Marcus about your little Betty... we're both looking forward to meeting her at the end of March after all your stories! :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The comb over works- you can't hardly see it- though of course being a girlie myself still think she needs a nice t-shirt :D

Well we thought it might be the Atopica and will be interested to know about the other treatment. Hope they provide relief for her.

Big hugs xx

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh what a pain that the results couldn't pin point the exact cause. Does the vet want to do the tests again when Betty's older if he thinks the allergies are still developing? Maybe she'll grow out of them or it? It's good that her coat just about covers the patch...you didn't have to get your grooming table out after all by the looks of it ;)

Clare and Bertie x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
The comb over works for me :) wow she is soooo cute ...

Oh Colin .. I read this post with my hand over my mouth, worried what I may read, but all in all it sounds like lovely Betty is a sensitive gal with the most sensitive skin.

Please let us know how the new treatments work .. at least she is not allergic to cuddles from her daddy xxx

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your kind messages...
Betty will be monitored on a regular basis and then will have to undergo further
testing in the future once they feel her allergies are more established and they can get more definitive results as to what she is allergic to. Once that is established they intend to start immunotherapy to try to desensitise her to those particular allergens. It looks like it could be a long road ahead...
Normally the Atopica is administered on a daily basis until the itching is under control and then tapered off to the lowest acheiveable dose but my vet likes to do it the other way around..so Betty is on one tablet every three days but it will have to be increased if no improvement is seen.
The vet did say that it IS possible that with the help of the drug and as Betty's immune system matures she could outgrow the allergies ( but I'm not holding my breath). As long as Betty has good quality of life I will continue to do what I can for her... thanks again for all your support...it really does make a big difference:):)

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Oh Colin, I was really hoping you would get some clear results so you could move on. Your vet is doing a thorough job though and I'm sure you will get there in the end. This is a case of perseverance and I know you love her so much and will do that :). The comb over works really well to hide the patch so perhaps wait for the patch to grow before you clip to blend? Sending our love and big hugs to you both and we're here if you need support, a shoulder to cry on, a vent, a walk, a laugh or a or a moan! :hug:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You said she'd have a large patch missing. I didn't think it would be that big and full of pin dots. Poor Betty. So glad the vet is trying to solve the case for you.

Out of interest what do you feed her, just clutching at straws here for you. I've read that sometimes food can cause skin problems.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.