I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi our Cockapoo is 16 weeks on Thursday and is going in for her last jab.She's been great to a degree apart from the nipping & biting,toilet trained well and is putting weight on.

The past few weeks have been tough :confused::( She seems to be biting a lot more drawing blood and has now started to growl and go for us when picked up :eek:.

Its our first dog we've been told everything from hitting the dog on the nose to pinching her when she bites but we've done neither as we don't agree its right,I've read its just a phase and its a case of saying no firmly and also time outs.

She gets 2 walks for around 15-20 mins atm twice a day.

She's still got her puppy teeth atm so all were able to get her is the puppy nylabone which she loves are there any other chews available as we've searched pets at home and there all for dogs with adult teeth

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
You are not alone.
16 weeks is often the peak of biting. Her baby teeth will start shedding soon... her mouth may well be a bit sore. Try giving her a frozen raw chicken wing, she can eat the whole thing.
Try and redirect her or distract her.... keep bits of kibble in your pocket and reward her for sitting or giving a paw. Also keep a soft toy in your pocket so you have something on hand to play with.
You can also soak an old tea towel, wring it out and then freeze it - let her chew on that. A fridge cold carrot may also be enjoyed.
Biting or growling when picked up..... Don't pick her up. She is a dog not a toy. Never try to pick up a sleeping pup - wake her up by rustling a treat bag and then call her to you.
If she was a wolf hound puppy you would not be picking her up.
With my dogs I teach them an up command so they know when I'm going to pick them up.
Are you taking your pup to training classes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not alone.
16 weeks is often the peak of biting. Her baby teeth will start shedding soon... her mouth may well be a bit sore. Try giving her a frozen raw chicken wing, she can eat the whole thing.
Try and redirect her or distract her.... keep bits of kibble in your pocket and reward her for sitting or giving a paw. Also keep a soft toy in your pocket so you have something on hand to play with.
You can also soak an old tea towel, wring it out and then freeze it - let her chew on that. A fridge cold carrot may also be enjoyed.
Biting or growling when picked up..... Don't pick her up. She is a dog not a toy. Never try to pick up a sleeping pup - wake her up by rustling a treat bag and then call her to you.
If she was a wolf hound puppy you would not be picking her up.
With my dogs I teach them an up command so they know when I'm going to pick them up.
Are you taking your pup to training classes?
Hi yes we've been giving her frozen carrots, I've read about the tea towel trick soaking in chicken stock then freezing?

She's only being picked up when she's been caught digging in the garden or when she's diving into our plants lol.

We've been spending 10 - 15 mins on training she's fine with the basics sit, leave, roll over give paw etc that all seems to go out the window when we're trying to control her when she's misbehaving.

Ive been looking into puppy classes and it's something we definitely need to do. She's been introduced to alot of dogs where we walk we come across 2-3 each day. It would be nice to make it round without all the constant lying down and sitting when she spots another dog approaching :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also highly recommend puppy classes, both for training and socialization purposes. I would try to incorporate positive reward-based training as often as possible, both for the end goal of having a well trained pup and for the daily mental stimulation, which should help tire her out a bit. Don't pick her up unless you absolutely need to if she's growling - it is a warning that she doesn't like that behaviour and may feel threatened by it. She should lose her puppy teeth soon and the biting will eventually subside! In the meantime, a glass of wine should help. :D

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Excellent advice so far. She is growling when you pick her up as you are doing it when she is doing something she is enjoying and you are using picking up to stop her - if she was a small child she would be equally annoyed with you.

As Marzi says stop picking her up and distract her instead.

Short training sessions are excellent and no reason at all why you can't fit in a few a day

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our pup is 15 weeks and also quite bitey mostly when overexcited. We are finding that he needs more exercise than the recommended 15-20 mins (5min per month of age). If we don't get him out he goes a bit bonkers and that's when we get a lot of the biting. Mind you we came in from evening walk tonight and he had the zoomies for a 10 minutes. At the moment we are trying offering him a toy to bite, turning away and ignoring until he calms, rewarding positive behaviour and worst case scenario a brief time out in crate to calm down. I am also finding that a well placed training session to redirect his energies into something positive can calm things down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ours seems to be a nightmare at the moment apart from the biting the other problem atm is at nighttime when we go to put her in her crate she's now started to bark and become restless she's crated at the bottom of our bed, she's been fine for the past few weeks all seems to be happening at the same time

Also struggling with walking she just keeps lying down all the time lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ours seems to be a nightmare at the moment apart from the biting the other problem atm is at nighttime when we go to put her in her crate she's now started to bark and become restless she's crated at the bottom of our bed, she's been fine for the past few weeks all seems to be happening at the same time

Also struggling with walking she just keeps lying down all the time lol
Give her a treat, like a frozen treat or something that takes a while to chew when you put her in the crate that way she will associate the crate with good things.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like we are at the same stage. Crate isn't an issue but the biting and walking sound familiar. Ernie will become quite stubborn if he has decided he doesn't want to go for a walk or doesn't want to go the way I am going. Conversely he has spent this evening constantly trying to get out to the beach. We don't have a garden and the beach is his preferred location for toileting - however often he just wants to go down there for a sniff and to see if there is anything exciting happening. He is quite restless in the evenings. We do a decent walk, play, do a training session but sometimes he still won't settle. It feels like we've had him ages and he has learned so much - sometimes I have to remind myself he is just a puppy and still learning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Give her a treat, like a frozen treat or something that takes a while to chew when you put her in the crate that way she will associate the crate with good things.
We've been giving her a treat when we put her in the crate at night. She gets a frozen kong when we go out and it's worked well so far

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sidney came him Friday night and apart from him not letting us sleep too much he's doing well. Eating fine and doing most of his toileting outside. And getting a bit more confident each day in exploring the garden and playing with his toys. Hoping the sleep deprivation doesn't last too long as it's only day two and we are like zombies and both at work tomorrow. (Part time). Here are some photos of the cutie.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Apologies. First time going on the forum from my mobile and I've posted this in totally the wrong place and have no idea how to delete. Sorry ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you and unfortunately not. Another night of constant barking. He just doesn't like being left on his own at night. He cries a little if left during the day, but nighttime he cranks it up to a whole new level. ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bella's now 20 weeks old just thought I'd update

She's still biting which isn't getting any better both mine and my gf's arms are covered in scratches. She's still snapping at times when she's being told not to do something.

She's also discovered our bed is alot more comfortable than her crate and won't go back in there at night now she'll just constantly bark.

She starts puppy classes at the end of the month although we were in two minds if she should go to the puppy class or obedience classes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We've still got the issues with biting & now maybe guarding?

Today whilst brushing her she decided one of the brushes was hers and went mad & went for us when we tried to get it back this is happening alot more at the moment. We tried to pick her up to put in the kitchen for a time out but you can't get near her without making it alot worse.

Any ideas on what we can do?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Maybe you need a trainer to come into the house to see what's what and how to correct it. I believe 2ndHandgal, knows someone. I don't I'm afraid, but someone might. :)

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Get professional help, most importantly.
In the mean time, stop trying to pick her up, it sounds like it's not something she is comfortable with. While she is supervised in the house leave a light weight lead on her, if you need to remove her due to aggression you can do so without putting your hands on her. Until you get help do not give her access to things she is likely to guard. Do not let her up on any furniture or your bed. Again if she gets up on there use the lead to remove her with a firm command.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts